Repeated request to Update the Same file

Richard

Repeated request to Update the Same file
I keep getting prompted to update the same update.
Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) has
downloaded and installed 10 times
NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller has downloaded and install 7 times
Apparently Windows Update cannot tell that these have already been
installed. Besides unchecking the item before download and installation how
can I get the system to see the installation and stop requesting to be
updated?
Richard

RE: Repeated request to Update the Same file
I should add that I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium

"Richard" wrote:

> I keep getting prompted to update the same update.
> Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) has
> downloaded and installed 10 times
> NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller has downloaded and install 7 times
> Apparently Windows Update cannot tell that these have already been
> installed. Besides unchecking the item before download and installation how
> can I get the system to see the installation and stop requesting to be
> updated?

antioch

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting prompted to update the same update.
> Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) has
> downloaded and installed 10 times
> NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller has downloaded and install 7
> times
> Apparently Windows Update cannot tell that these have already been
> installed. Besides unchecking the item before download and installation
> how
> can I get the system to see the installation and stop requesting to be
> updated?

Have you read this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

I don't understand the connection between this update and nVidia?
Somebody else might.

Antioch

Richard

Re: Repeated request to Update the Same file
I don't see the association either but those were just 2 of the repeated
request. I did not list all of them. The NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory
Controller update finally stopped (haven't had that one in a few weeks) but
the Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 just requested to
download and install again this morning making it 14 times.

"antioch" wrote:

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep getting prompted to update the same update.
> > Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) has
> > downloaded and installed 10 times
> > NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory Controller has downloaded and install 7
> > times
> > Apparently Windows Update cannot tell that these have already been
> > installed. Besides unchecking the item before download and installation
> > how
> > can I get the system to see the installation and stop requesting to be
> > updated?

> Have you read this
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181
>
> I don't understand the connection between this update and nVidia?
> Somebody else might.
>
> Antioch

antioch

>I don't see the association either but those were just 2 of the repeated
> request. I did not list all of them. The NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory
> Controller update finally stopped (haven't had that one in a few weeks)
> but
> the Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 just requested
> download and install again this morning making it 14 times.

Richard
Could you please bottom post - if this posting gets more 'hits' it will make
it easier to read/follow.
Does this KB show in your Add/Remove? - is there a Parser also showing? - I
only ask because I seem to remember I uninstalled both before getting an
install to hold. But the fix for Vista may be different.
I have no idea how to find my way around in Vista but........I did have a
problem with this update back in Aug/Sept on XP SP2 system.
One of the simplest of fixes to get most updates to download and install is
to get it directly from MS - save to disc if possible. Disconnect from the
net, set a restore point, disable all AV/Antispy/Firewall etc and progs
running in the background.
Open and install - reboot even if not asked. After reboot enable all your
security stuff and connect to the net. Go to WUHome and see if you get it
offered again.
As there seems to always be more than one way to skin the MS Update Cat,
what worked for me may not for you.
I have the below in my saved stuff(my daughter runs Vista Home)in case she
had a problem - she didn't????

I also have the below link-this is for all OS with the Core 4 installed.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181#appliesto

Plus this-which seems to have brought the problem up to date in this group.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d28c6880bcef01

with this entry
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en
I hope this is of some help - but with no knowledge of Vista I would prefer
to stay mute. In any case, I do not remember there being problems with
Vista systems - XP were quite common.

You have not said how you have been trying to get the update installed so it
stays installed.

Rgds

Antioch

Virginia

Re: Repeated request to Update the Same file
I contacted Microsoft and this is what they told me to do:
Download Micrsoft Windows Installer Cleanup utility
Sive file to computer
install this on computer
Step 2 was to Remove the MSXML software (this was the key)
Click start then Windows Instlal Clean Up
See if you can find MSXML software. If so, remove, them.
Restart the Computer.
After that please try and to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML
4.0 SP2 Security Update KB925672 and KB 927978.
I did all this and it worked.
Then I was download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and the related upgrades from
the follwoing links and save them to the desktop. It was a long one, but I
am sure if you go to microsoft and ask for help they can give you all the
links. I spoke emailed with Kino Yu (MS)
<v-30kiyu@mssupport.microsoft.com>

"antioch" wrote:

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't see the association either but those were just 2 of the repeated
> > request. I did not list all of them. The NVIDIA - system - nForce Memory
> > Controller update finally stopped (haven't had that one in a few weeks)
> > but
> > the Security Upade for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 SP2 just requested
> > download and install again this morning making it 14 times.

> Richard
> Could you please bottom post - if this posting gets more 'hits' it will make
> it easier to read/follow.
> Does this KB show in your Add/Remove? - is there a Parser also showing? - I
> only ask because I seem to remember I uninstalled both before getting an
> install to hold. But the fix for Vista may be different.
> I have no idea how to find my way around in Vista but........I did have a
> problem with this update back in Aug/Sept on XP SP2 system.
> One of the simplest of fixes to get most updates to download and install is
> to get it directly from MS - save to disc if possible. Disconnect from the
> net, set a restore point, disable all AV/Antispy/Firewall etc and progs
> running in the background.
> Open and install - reboot even if not asked. After reboot enable all your
> security stuff and connect to the net. Go to WUHome and see if you get it
> offered again.
> As there seems to always be more than one way to skin the MS Update Cat,
> what worked for me may not for you.
> I have the below in my saved stuff(my daughter runs Vista Home)in case she
> had a problem - she didn't????

> I also have the below link-this is for all OS with the Core 4 installed.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181#appliesto
>
> Plus this-which seems to have brought the problem up to date in this group.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d28c6880bcef01
>
> with this entry
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en
> I hope this is of some help - but with no knowledge of Vista I would prefer
> to stay mute. In any case, I do not remember there being problems with
> Vista systems - XP were quite common.
>
> You have not said how you have been trying to get the update installed so it
> stays installed.
>
> Rgds
>
> Antioch

toolfix