How to update

Benny

How to update
I am in charge of maintaining the computers in our church. They were all
purchased about two years ago and all have Windows XP SP2 (OEM) installed.
We have no internet connection. I need to know where to go to download a
cumulative update for Windows XP SP2. If such a beast exists, how frequently
should I download and apply it?
antioch

Re: How to update

"Benny" <Benny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in charge of maintaining the computers in our church. They were all
> purchased about two years ago and all have Windows XP SP2 (OEM) installed.
> We have no internet connection. I need to know where to go to download a
> cumulative update for Windows XP SP2. If such a beast exists, how
> frequently
> should I download and apply it?

If you have no internet connection and do not intend to ever get a
connection, then I do not see that you need MS updates. They are
security/critical updates to fill holes that can be used by the nasties
whilst using the net.
If you read, in this group, the problems caused by the monthly Black Tuesday
updates, then you should feel pleased that they are not required in your
instance.
Updates are offered after MS scans your computer and examines your system
etc. To do this you need to be connected to the internet.
Anything else not critical/security, is not worth having from MS in any
case.
If you require 'upgrades' to software etc, then access to the net may be
required, so a computer with access can download this upgrade which can then
be loaded onto any other computer.

Benny

Re: How to update
Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't thought about the fact that we
really don't need the updates. We've been working toward internet
connectivity for about two years now, but we have so many other "must haves"
that the internet connection just keeps moving further down the list. I
guess when and if we get a connection, I can update them then.

Thanks again for the good info. Somtimes I miss the obvious.

Benny

> Thanks for the quick response. I hadn't thought about the fact that we
> really don't need the updates. We've been working toward internet
> connectivity for about two years now, but we have so many other "must
> haves"
> that the internet connection just keeps moving further down the list. I
> guess when and if we get a connection, I can update them then.
>
> Thanks again for the good info. Somtimes I miss the obvious.
>
> Benny

In the hope that you are still watching your thread, it may be a
good/prudent idea to wait for SP3 - yes it has been promised for a long
time.
I believe it is out to selected testing as betaware :-( for the moment.
Should you think of connecting to the net before its release, early to mid
2008, you will by then have some 80 or more critical/security updates to
download and install. These are currently causing some problems to those
who left the updating, from SP1 to SP2, rather later than they should have -
and to those with SP2 who have had to do a complete reinstall of XP SP2.
If there is no immediate need to connect to the net, I would be inclined to
wait for SP3 and get the free disc, which I expect will be offered by MS.
I wish you luck.

Rgds
Antioch

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: How to update
Internet access is not the only way problems enter computers although
it is the most visible.

Do you ever deal with anything from another computer via network,
floppy, CD etc?
If yes, then you may need some of the updates.
Do not discount the need based solely on lack of internet access.

There is no cumulative update.
However each month and ISO is published:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Normally updates are issued the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Also Windows XP SP-3 will be released the early part of next year.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar