Re: IE7 with Vista

PA Bear

Re: IE7 with Vista
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Web master wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a new machine running Vista and IE7. I have recently run my
> Microsoft updates (47 in total) and now my IE doesn't work at all. It
> just
> keeps coming back with DNS errors. However, my firefox still works.
> Anyone
> had this happen to them or know how I can fix this?
>
> Ian

GoatWeed

Re: IE7 with Vista

I tried following the instructions below but after step and reboot, my
machine hangs after login. Any idea why this would happen?

I have the following: Vista Ultimate 64-bit, IE7.

IE7 64-bit works just fine on the same machine.

I Have disabled all add-ons and reset to factory defaults.

TIA
-TheGoat