Re: Security Update 942615 also effect IE 7

PA Bear

Re: Security Update 942615 also effect IE 7
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

946627 does NOT apply to IE6.

For IE7:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
[ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
(if installed) via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is
checked at top right) and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Listam wrote:
> Microsoft announce that this security update only affects IE 6. We have
> state that this update in some way also affects IE 7. When some of our
> computers (laptops) receive this there is script faliure in IE 7. The
> masage is empty and without any information. This also affect when you try
> to print e-mails from Outlook 2003.
>
> Any one have this and is it necessary tochange same registry subkey for IE
> 7?
>
> Thanks
> Mikael Listam

Ottmar Freudenberger

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> 946627 does NOT apply to IE6.

Pardon? It does apply for IE6 running on Windows XP SP2 *only*. So it
does not apply to IE*7*.

Me thinks that just a typo, is it?

> For IE7:
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
> [ignore the title]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

Full ACK

Bye,
Freudi
antioch

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> 946627 does NOT apply to IE6.
>
> For IE7:

Oh but it does apply to IE6[must be a typo :-)] - that's why I have just
been offered 946627.
From the MS horse's mouth.
APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

But I have holding back with KB942615.
I think I might now D/L and install it and if all is stable etc I will
assume that I have no need for 946627 - unless you advice differently?
From reading the article about 946627, it appears that this does the
Reg
modification that was issued under KB942367, which I was not looking
forward to in ant case.
It is nice to see the 'Guided Help' is offered.

Rgds
Antioch

PA Bear

Re: Security Update 942615 also effect IE 7
Typo, yes. s/b "IE7"

Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:
>
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> 946627 does NOT apply to IE6.

> Pardon? It does apply for IE6 running on Windows XP SP2 *only*. So it
> does not apply to IE*7*.
>
> Me thinks that just a typo, is it?
>
>> For IE7:
>>
>> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
>> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
>> [ignore the title]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

> Full ACK
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

PA Bear

Re: Security Update 942615 also effect IE 7
Correction: