KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me

user@domain.invalid

KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
After repeated tries at following all of the posted suggestions for "hot
fixing" the faulty MS KB942615 patch on my XP (SP2) system running IE6,
I gave up (IE 6 still exhibits random crashes), restored my system to
the pre-KB942615 state and hid that update from showing up again. I'll
wait until next month's Patch Tuesday in hopes that MS will have more
effectively fixed the problem instead of expecting its customers to fix
it for them.

(I only use IE when forced too anyway, like for Patch Tuesday,
preferring to use a Mozilla browser, in part because of the continuing
need of MS to try to patch its faulty products. In fact, the very need
for Patch Tuesday is starting to be very annoying and causing me to
consider going MAC for my next system.)
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
Whether you use IE or not is irrelevant since the system files used by
IE are still vulnerable if not patched.
*STRONGLY* suggest that you phone in for NO CHARGE support :

> Support
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support
> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates.

The more people who phone in the more aware MS is of this issue.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

user@domain.invalid wrote:

> After repeated tries at following all of the posted suggestions for "hot
> fixing" the faulty MS KB942615 patch on my XP (SP2) system running IE6,
> I gave up (IE 6 still exhibits random crashes), restored my system to
> the pre-KB942615 state and hid that update from showing up again. I'll
> wait until next month's Patch Tuesday in hopes that MS will have more
> effectively fixed the problem instead of expecting its customers to fix
> it for them.
>
> (I only use IE when forced too anyway, like for Patch Tuesday,
> preferring to use a Mozilla browser, in part because of the continuing
> need of MS to try to patch its faulty products. In fact, the very need
> for Patch Tuesday is starting to be very annoying and causing me to
> consider going MAC for my next system.)

user@domain.invalid

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
A very good point. Thank you. I will give them a call.

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> Whether you use IE or not is irrelevant since the system files used by
> IE are still vulnerable if not patched.
> *STRONGLY* suggest that you phone in for NO CHARGE support :
>
>> Support
>> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>> Microsoft Product Support
>> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that
>> are associated with security updates.

> The more people who phone in the more aware MS is of this issue.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> user@domain.invalid wrote:
>
>> After repeated tries at following all of the posted suggestions for
>> "hot fixing" the faulty MS KB942615 patch on my XP (SP2) system
>> running IE6, I gave up (IE 6 still exhibits random crashes), restored
>> my system to the pre-KB942615 state and hid that update from showing
>> up again. I'll wait until next month's Patch Tuesday in hopes that MS
>> will have more effectively fixed the problem instead of expecting its
>> customers to fix it for them.
>>
>> (I only use IE when forced too anyway, like for Patch Tuesday,
>> preferring to use a Mozilla browser, in part because of the continuing
>> need of MS to try to patch its faulty products. In fact, the very
>> need for Patch Tuesday is starting to be very annoying and causing me
>> to consider going MAC for my next system.)

John

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
Hold that thought. A fix (for a fix) has just been released. Take a look
here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>A very good point. Thank you. I will give them a call.
>
> MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>> Whether you use IE or not is irrelevant since the system files used by IE
>> are still vulnerable if not patched.
>> *STRONGLY* suggest that you phone in for NO CHARGE support :
>>
>>> Support
>>> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>>> Microsoft Product Support
>>> Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that
>>> are associated with security updates.

>> The more people who phone in the more aware MS is of this issue.
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> user@domain.invalid wrote:
>>
>>> After repeated tries at following all of the posted suggestions for "hot
>>> fixing" the faulty MS KB942615 patch on my XP (SP2) system running IE6,
>>> I gave up (IE 6 still exhibits random crashes), restored my system to
>>> the pre-KB942615 state and hid that update from showing up again. I'll
>>> wait until next month's Patch Tuesday in hopes that MS will have more
>>> effectively fixed the problem instead of expecting its customers to fix
>>> it for them.
>>>
>>> (I only use IE when forced too anyway, like for Patch Tuesday,
>>> preferring to use a Mozilla browser, in part because of the continuing
>>> need of MS to try to patch its faulty products. In fact, the very need
>>> for Patch Tuesday is starting to be very annoying and causing me to
>>> consider going MAC for my next system.)

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
Thanks for posting this, John. I can attest that the patch resolves the
issue with IE6. Installed KB942615 on my neighbor's laptop and IE6
crashed with urlmon.dll as the culprit. Installed KB946627 and the issue
was resolved.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John wrote:

> Hold that thought. A fix (for a fix) has just been released. Take a look
> here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>A very good point. Thank you. I will give them a call.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
>>
>>>Whether you use IE or not is irrelevant since the system files used by IE
>>>are still vulnerable if not patched.
>>>*STRONGLY* suggest that you phone in for NO CHARGE support :

>>>The more people who phone in the more aware MS is of this issue.
>>>
>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten
>>>===============

antioch

"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for posting this, John. I can attest that the patch resolves the
> issue with IE6. Installed KB942615 on my neighbor's laptop and IE6 crashed
> with urlmon.dll as the culprit. Installed KB946627 and the issue was
> resolved.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Good to hear that - I d/l and installed 946215 earlier when the fix was
first mentioned - so far I do not seem to have any of the symptoms others
have had. IE6 for the moment is as normal, so was wondering what to do with
946627.
I have it hidden for now.

Rgds
Antioch

user@domain.invalid

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
Yes, as the originator of this thread, I am happy to report that the
latest MS fix did resolve my problem, and IE6 seems to be behaving
properly now.

antioch wrote:
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for posting this, John. I can attest that the patch resolves the
>> issue with IE6. Installed KB942615 on my neighbor's laptop and IE6 crashed
>> with urlmon.dll as the culprit. Installed KB946627 and the issue was
>> resolved.
>>
>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============

> Good to hear that - I d/l and installed 946215 earlier when the fix was
> first mentioned - so far I do not seem to have any of the symptoms others
> have had. IE6 for the moment is as normal, so was wondering what to do with
> 946627.
> I have it hidden for now.
>
> Rgds
> Antioch

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: KB942615 Fix - No Workie For Me
I hid the update as IE6 is behaving just fine here, antioch.
The issue involves forking of QFE ... sounds dirty, no ? <w>
Meanwhile ... what's with all the 0x80072EE7 errors lately ?
Stay tuned to this BatChannel for breaking news ...

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

antioch wrote:

> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks for posting this, John. I can attest that the patch resolves the
>>issue with IE6. Installed KB942615 on my neighbor's laptop and IE6 crashed
>>with urlmon.dll as the culprit. Installed KB946627 and the issue was
>>resolved.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============

> Good to hear that - I d/l and installed 946215 earlier when the fix was
> first mentioned - so far I do not seem to have any of the symptoms others
> have had. IE6 for the moment is as normal, so was wondering what to do with
> 946627.
> I have it hidden for now.
>
> Rgds
> Antioch

antioch

>I hid the update as IE6 is behaving just fine here, antioch.
> The issue involves forking of QFE ... sounds dirty, no ? <w>

If you can get arrested for it, then it must be fun :-)

> Meanwhile ... what's with all the 0x80072EE7 errors lately ?

There are a few - but isnt it a faily common one - I have been following
some of them.

> Stay tuned to this BatChannel for breaking news ...

Seasons greetings to you.
Rgds
Antioch