Windows Update Repeating

gooch

Windows Update Repeating
Everyday I get the notice from windows update that I need to install this
"important" update:

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

I've already installed this update 4 times successfully, but each day, the
update manager, signals to install this same update. Is it not taking or
what? It's in the hitory as successful 4 times on different dates. And should
the extra installs be deleted?

Installation date: ‎12/‎20/‎2007 8:16 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Windows Update Repeating
"gooch" <gooch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everyday I get the notice from windows update that I need to install this
> "important" update:

On which OS?

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
>
> I've already installed this update 4 times successfully, but each day, the
> update manager, signals to install this same update. Is it not taking or
> what? It's in the hitory as successful 4 times on different dates. And should
> the extra installs be deleted?

Are you rebooting when requested? If not that would explain your symptom.
When modules are in use they don't get replaced until they are not in use
and sometimes that can require that it be done during a reboot. Look in your
log and perhaps in your Event log to check on that possibility. You could also
take the analysis a step further by looking at the versions of the modules to be
replaced both before and after the boot. If they don't change, you will know
where the source of your problem is.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Installation date: ‎12/‎20/‎2007 8:16 AM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
> that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=88350
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com

gooch

Re: Windows Update Repeating
Thanks Robert, I just figured out how to stop all of those KB Updates from
installing successfully and then repeatedly showing back up to be installed
again. After reading your advice and a few others I did this very simple
thing:
By the way I'm running Windows Vist Home Premium, but I think this will work
for most Windows OS.
First you need to make sure that the Secure Patch Microsoft XML Core
Services v4.0 Service Pack 2 is installed. Which it probably is.
Then go to windows update history and just make a note of any of the KB
updates that keep showing up ex. (KB936181) there may be a few of them.
Then go to Windows Control Panel - uninstall programs - and uninstall all of
the KB's that keep showing up in Windows Update.
Then go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and type in your
particular KB update# in the search box next to the All download box.
That will take you to the page you'll see the download link for your update,
click on that to go to the ACTUAL DOWNLOAD SITE for the update.
From there download the update don't run it save it MANUALLY to a folder or
desktop for later install.
Close down all programs and manually run the application. If asked to do
normal install or custom pick custom and select global instead if side by
side and then next. If any programs interfere with install select ignore. and
finish it on out. You will see that it is a much better install than what the
windows update manager does.
Then like Robert says be sure and restart the computer right then.
I've done 4 KB's this way that kept showing back up for install and they
have not shown back up since. The windows update notice stays off fro a while
now.

> Thanks Robert, I just figured out how to stop all of those KB Updates from
> installing successfully and then repeatedly showing back up to be installed
> again. After reading your advice and a few others I did this very simple
> thing:
> By the way I'm running Windows Vist Home Premium, but I think this will work
> for most Windows OS.
> First you need to make sure that the Secure Patch Microsoft XML Core
> Services v4.0 Service Pack 2 is installed. Which it probably is.
> Then go to windows update history and just make a note of any of the KB
> updates that keep showing up ex. (KB936181) there may be a few of them.
> Then go to Windows Control Panel - uninstall programs - and uninstall all of
> the KB's that keep showing up in Windows Update.
> Then go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads and type in your
> particular KB update# in the search box next to the All download box.
> That will take you to the page you'll see the download link for your update,
> click on that to go to the ACTUAL DOWNLOAD SITE for the update.
> From there download the update don't run it save it MANUALLY to a folder or
> desktop for later install.
> Close down all programs and manually run the application. If asked to do
> normal install or custom pick custom and select global instead if side by
> side and then next. If any programs interfere with install select ignore. and
> finish it on out. You will see that it is a much better install than what the
> windows update manager does.
> Then like Robert says be sure and restart the computer right then.
> I've done 4 KB's this way that kept showing back up for install and they
> have not shown back up since. The windows update notice stays off fro a while
> now.

Thanks for sharing your success story. Good work.

Robert
---