Error 80070005

dhwillia

Error 80070005
I have been unable to update my computer since Nov. 20th for any security
update (numerous) and internet explorer 7 for XP as well. Any way to fix
this?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 80070005
80070005 relates to a Permissions issue. Please see this :

Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
registry permissions
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx

If you find that task to daunting, then please post the KB number of one
security update that the system is having an issue with.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

dhwillia wrote:

> I have been unable to update my computer since Nov. 20th for any security
> update (numerous) and internet explorer 7 for XP as well. Any way to fix
> this?

dhwillia

Re: Error 80070005
Followed your directions as advised--still not allowing updates. Following
are some of the KB #'s: 937894,944653,942615,941659,892130. What do you
think?
Thanks.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 80070005 relates to a Permissions issue. Please see this :
>
> Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and
> registry permissions
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx
>
> If you find that task to daunting, then please post the KB number of one
> security update that the system is having an issue with.
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> dhwillia wrote:
>
> > I have been unable to update my computer since Nov. 20th for any security
> > update (numerous) and internet explorer 7 for XP as well. Any way to fix
> > this?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 80070005
There is no KB941659. 3 others are Security updates: KBs 937894,944653,
and 942615.
ALL security updates offer NO charge support for home Users :

dhwillia wrote:

>>>I have been unable to update my computer since Nov. 20th for any security
>>>update (numerous) and internet explorer 7 for XP as well. Any way to fix
>>>this?

Was any software installed before or on Nov.20th ?
Has the system been *thoroughly* scanned for the presence of malware ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Smithy

Re: Error 80070005
> ALL security updates offer NO charge support for home Users :

or home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States
> > and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to

Is there a Free number to ring in England please? The number they give is
not Free.

SS
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 80070005
Can't say for sure that the PHONE call is free, but the support is most
definitely *no-charge*. For International support, start here:

Smithy wrote:

>>ALL security updates offer NO charge support for home Users :

> or home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> the United States
>
>>>and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to

> Is there a Free number to ring in England please? The number they give is
> not Free.
>
> SS

Dany

RE: Error 80070005
Hi All,

I had the same problem as dhwillia and I resolved it! I used FileMon utility
for monitoring Denied Access status for the files when started downloading
updates from windowsupdate pages.

Try to check all files in the folder C:\Windows\System32\CatRoot\ and all
its subfolders where I found a file oem41.cat where was set an encyption
(File properties - Advanced attributes - uncheck encryption) and in the
TotalCmd there was "e" attribute activated for this file. So I suggest to
check all files there where shouldnt be activated encryption and read-only
attribute. Also try check rights there (Admin and System all rights)!

Notice: I have never set an encryption for this file. Moreover I have never
explored the CatRoot folder. So there is anything bad in the software!

Good luck.

Dany

"dhwillia" wrote:

> I have been unable to update my computer since Nov. 20th for any security
> update (numerous) and internet explorer 7 for XP as well. Any way to fix
> this?

Calven

Re: Error 80070005
The issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:

1. Security programs running in the background interfere with the
installation of Windows Updates.
2. The permission settings in the System Files and registry are inappropriate.

Let's take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Suggestion 1: Temporarily disable the security programs for troubleshooting
purposes only
Let's first ensure that any Spy Sweeper or firewall programs you have
running are not interfering with Windows Update. Even though you may have had
a Spy Sweeper/firewall accelerator running for some time without any previous
problems accessing Windows Update, new updates for these programs can create
unforeseen issues. For your convenience I have listed some of the more common
applications which may cause conflicts with Windows Update below.

Spy Sweeper
Sygate Personal Firewall
Norton Internet Security
Freedom Firewall
Zone Alarm Firewall

To determine if the above applications are causing the issue, please
temporarily turn them off and see if you can now access the Microsoft Windows
Update website. Please ensure the program is re-enabled after we complete the
troubleshooting steps.

If this issue appears to be related to a firewall program, I recommend that
you contact the firewall manufacturer to obtain the information to configure
the firewall options which allow access to the Windows Update site.

Suggestion 2: Reset permissions
========================
This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take
some time. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
1. Please download the subinacl.msi from the following link and save the
installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...inityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install
it.
3. Please select C:\Windows\System32 as the destination folder during the
installation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use
this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
-------
1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\reset.cmd and press Enter. Choose Yes
when you are prompted.
2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
Yes when prompted to save the file.
4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\reset.cmd and press Enter to run the commands
pasted.
5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: This step may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is
finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

Best Regards,

Calven

Dany

Re: Error 80070005
It does not help me, I did reseting all registry keys and files according
your instructions but the problem was the same. So I tried Regmon and Filemon
utilities from Sysinternals and then I found what was wrong (see answer
below). So I think this instructions does not help for removing encryption
from files.

Dany