Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
[Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]

The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative Security
Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
<QP>
We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
(942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
</QP>
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx

New KB article:

IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
running Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
(Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/




Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Ant
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
Questions about this registry workaround: How do I know what program
uses Urlmon.dll file? And will we have to undo these changes for future
updates? Thanks in advance.


On 12/18/2007 10:52 PM PT, PA Bear typed:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>
> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>
> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
> Security Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
> <QP>
> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on
> systems that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet
> Explorer (942615), released earlier this month. We have some
> information to share with you regarding the results of our investigation
> into these reports...
> </QP>
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>
>
> New KB article:
>
> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that
> is running Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").

--
"Oh, good morning, my little worker ants! That's just a figure of
speech; I would NEVER compare you to insects. At least not after that
sensitivity training seminar those maggots at the network forced me to
attend!" --Kay, Murphy Brown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
Best to ask Support those questions, Ant...

<QP>
How to obtain help and support for this security update

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
Support Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
your usual support contacts.
</QP>
Source: MS07-069: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Ant wrote:
> Questions about this registry workaround: How do I know what program
> uses Urlmon.dll file? And will we have to undo these changes for future
> updates? Thanks in advance.
>
> On 12/18/2007 10:52 PM PT, PA Bear typed:
>
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>>
>> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
>> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>>
>> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
>> Security Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
>> <QP>
>> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on
>> systems that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet
>> Explorer (942615), released earlier this month. We have some
>> information to share with you regarding the results of our investigation
>> into these reports...
>> </QP>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>>
>>
>> New KB article:
>>
>> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that
>> is running Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>>
>> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
>> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Ottmar Freudenberger
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:
> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>
> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>
> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative Security
> Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
> <QP>
> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
> that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
> (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
> with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
> </QP>
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>
> New KB article:
>
> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
> running Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").


Just a short (semi-technical) addition:

I've (surprise, surprise) just received information from MSRC, that the issue
only occurs for those systems, on which the QFE tree (for an explaination see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897225/) of the update is beeing installed.

In case you want to find out if that's the case before applying the registry
fix, have a look into the "KB942615.log" file which is placed into the Windows
folder (Start -> Run -> %windir%\KB942615 [Enter/OK]). If the system might be
affected by the issue, you should find lines like "2.953: AnalyzeForBranching:
g_bRepeatInventory set to TRUE because target file c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
has branch sp2qfe which is greater than branch for sp2gdr". If you don't find
those lines and are seeing IE6 crashes on Windows XP SP2, your system may have
another issue than the one discussed here.

As a side note, MSKB article KB946627 mentiones the exact same registry entries
for a workaround of these crashes as the "old" MSKB article KB942367 did/does.
Since http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/IE..._dll-Crash.zip and the
contained IE6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg are based on the registry keys
mentionend in KB942367 (which are the same as the ones in the new KB946627),
I'm not going to update the ZIP file and/or renaming the contained REG files.
If you've applied "IE6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg" or manually set the
registry keys in the meantime, there's *no need* to undo the registry changes
(manually or by "executing" the "IE6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_deaktivieren.reg" also
contained in the ZIP file) until further notice.

FWIW,
Freudi

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>>
>> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
>> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>>
>> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
>> Security
>> Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
>> <QP>
>> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
>> that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
>> (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
>> with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
>> </QP>
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>>
>> New KB article:
>>
>> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that
>> is
>> running Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>>
>> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
>> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").

>
> Just a short (semi-technical) addition:
>
> I've (surprise, surprise) just received information from MSRC, that the
> issue only occurs for those systems, on which the QFE tree (for an
> explaination see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897225/) of the update is
> beeing installed...


Seconded.
--
~PA Bear

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
cf. IEBlog: Post Install Issues with MS07-069 (IE6 on XPSP2):
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-on-xpsp2.aspx
--
~PA Bear


PA Bear wrote:
> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>
> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>
> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
> Security
> Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
> <QP>
> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
> that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
> (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
> with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
> </QP>
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>
> New KB article:
>
> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
> running Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
Ken
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issu
I really think they should re-release this patch ASAP. We have 1000's of
machines with a mix of IE6/IE7 that are managed by WSUS servers.

We have not deployed the patch via WSUS due to all this speculation on what
they will do.

You can't really trust a small testbed for an issue like this.

Please help Microsoft !!!!!

"PA Bear" wrote:

> cf. IEBlog: Post Install Issues with MS07-069 (IE6 on XPSP2):
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-on-xpsp2.aspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
>
> PA Bear wrote:
> > [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
> >
> > The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
> > encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
> >
> > The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
> > Security
> > Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
> > <QP>
> > We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
> > that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
> > (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
> > with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
> > </QP>
> > http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
> >
> > New KB article:
> >
> > IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
> > running Windows XP Service Pack 2
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
> >
> > More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
> > (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issu
cf.
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ce-pack-2.aspx
--
~PA Bear

Ken wrote:
> I really think they should re-release this patch ASAP. We have 1000's of
> machines with a mix of IE6/IE7 that are managed by WSUS servers.
>
> We have not deployed the patch via WSUS due to all this speculation on
> what
> they will do.
>
> You can't really trust a small testbed for an issue like this.
>
> Please help Microsoft !!!!!
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> cf. IEBlog: Post Install Issues with MS07-069 (IE6 on XPSP2):
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-on-xpsp2.aspx
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>>>
>>> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
>>> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>>>
>>> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
>>> Security
>>> Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
>>> <QP>
>>> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on
>>> systems
>>> that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
>>> (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to
>>> share
>>> with you regarding the results of our investigation into these
>>> reports...
>>> </QP>
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>>>
>>> New KB article:
>>>
>>> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that
>>> is
>>> running Windows XP Service Pack 2
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>>>
>>> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
>>> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2007
Alan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
When I read this thread yesterday, I thought I could ignore it, as my IE6
was working fine. And it continued to work fine for another 24 hours or
so....right up until earlier this evening when IE6 began to hang and crash
regardless of what pages I tried opening.

I then found this thread and, of course, as my IE6 was crashing whenever I
clicked on the URL, I couldn't get to the fix. Fortunately, I also have FF
installed on my PC, so I copied/pasted the URL into FF, went to KB 946627
and made the appropriate fix to my registry.

But, what happens to those unlucky people who don't have a browser other
than IE installed on their machines?

If someone can't read the fix from the KB 946627 webpage, how are they going
to fix it??

Alan

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23M4Nu0gQIHA.5400@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> [Crossposted to Windows Update, IE General, and IE6 Browser newsgroups]
>
> The MSRC offers some new information about an issue some IE6 users have
> encountered after installing KB942625/MS07-069:
>
> The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): MS07-069 Cumulative
> Security Update for Internet Explorer - Post Install Issue
> <QP>
> We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems
> that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer
> (942615), released earlier this month. We have some information to share
> with you regarding the results of our investigation into these reports...
> </QP>
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...all-issue.aspx
>
> New KB article:
>
> IE6 crashes after you install security update 942615 on a computer that is
> running Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> More about the Registry edit detailed in the 946627 Workaround section:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...171f826a1bb17a
> (Freudi's file "E6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg").
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2007
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 Cumulative Security Update for IE - Post Install Issue
Alan wrote:
> When I read this thread yesterday, I thought I could ignore it, as
> my IE6 was working fine. And it continued to work fine for another
> 24 hours or so....right up until earlier this evening when IE6
> began to hang and crash regardless of what pages I tried opening.
>
> I then found this thread and, of course, as my IE6 was crashing
> whenever I clicked on the URL, I couldn't get to the fix.
> Fortunately, I also have FF installed on my PC, so I copied/pasted
> the URL into FF, went to KB 946627 and made the appropriate fix to
> my registry.
> But, what happens to those unlucky people who don't have a browser
> other than IE installed on their machines?
>
> If someone can't read the fix from the KB 946627 webpage, how are
> they going to fix it??


Read how to make the registry fix from one of these newsgroups...
It's been posted likely a few dozen times. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE Bob Held microsoft.public.windowsupdate 13 12-20-2007 05:24
Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6 PA Bear microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 12-19-2007 03:47
Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615 Max microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 12-15-2007 08:28
Cumulative Security Update Calvin Chann microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 12-03-2007 08:40
Re: Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 7 failed to install Olive microsoft.public.windowsupdate 5 12-03-2007 05:15




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120