Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6

PA Bear

Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6
Crossposted to WU newsgroup.

Please note that not all of those running IE6 and who have install 942615
have encountered this problem. (Users don't post to these newsgroups
saying, "I installed it and haven't had any issues.")

942367 *should* be updated to mention 942615 (MS07-069). I've asked MS to
take care of this. (I won't be holding my breath, though.)

I have also been in touch with MS Security Response Center (MSRC) about that
tech's misinformed advice. 942615 is a critical security update that
addresses several vulnerabilities (see the section Vulnerability Information
in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-069.mspx). A
machine is at risk if 942615 is not installed!

Also note that a MS representative posted in Windows Update newsgroup and
recommended 942367 as a fix. He did *not* recommend leaving 942615
uninstalled.

Request: You've posted in numerous threads in at least two (2) MS
newsgroups. It would be best if you stuck to replying to one (1) thread and
crossposting all replies to WU and IE General newsgroups. Thank you.

PS: Disable Norton AntiVirus before installing *any* updates and you
shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Better yet, uninstall NAV and replace
it.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

***boylaca wrote:
> In your message you recommend:
>> The Registry edit in this KB article has resolved the problem for most
>> IE6
>> users: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367

> When I read this webpage, it says:
>

> SYMPTOMS
>
> On a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Internet Explorer 6
> may
> stop responding when you try to visit a Web site.
>
> This issue may occur after you install certain cumulative security updates
> for Internet Explorer. These security updates include security update
> 928090
> (security bulletin MS07-016), security update 931768 (security bulletin
> MS07-027), and security update 933566 (security bulletin MS07-033).
>
> __________________________________________________ _________________
>
> I do not see it specifically mentioning KB942615. If it is appropriate
> for
> KB942615 will it include that security update as well?

<snip>

> WHAT I HAVE DONE:
>
> As recommended by the Microsoft technical support telephone representative
> in the Philippines, I have removed update KB942615 from my computer and it
> is working ok.
>
> Also it says:
>
> Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend
> that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this
> hotfix.
>
> So I am waiting for Microsoft to issue a resolution rather than modifying
> my
> registry by myself which I have never done before.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation though.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> The Registry edit in this KB article has resolved the problem for most
>> IE6
>> users: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367
>> --
>> ***boylaca wrote:
>>> There is a defect in Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6
>>> for
>>> Windows XP (KB942615) Date last published: 12/11/2007, because when I
>>> installed it, it constantly gives me the error message "Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> has encountered a problem and needs to close" when I try to open
>>> Internet
>>> Explorer after my computer starts. Please reply if you can help

gayboylaca

Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6
Hi Robear Dyer (PA Bear),

You said:

PS: Disable Norton AntiVirus before installing *any* updates and you
shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Better yet, uninstall NAV and replace
it.

Can you explain why you recommend uninstalling Nortan Anti Virus and
recommend replacing it?

Thanks,

***boylaca

"PA Bear" wrote:

> [...]

> > for
> > KB942615 will it include that security update as well?

> <snip>
> >
> > WHAT I HAVE DONE:
> >
> > As recommended by the Microsoft technical support telephone representative
> > in the Philippines, I have removed update KB942615 from my computer and it
> > is working ok.
> >
> > Also it says:
> >
> > Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend
> > that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this
> > hotfix.
> >
> > So I am waiting for Microsoft to issue a resolution rather than modifying
> > my
> > registry by myself which I have never done before.
> >
> > Thanks for the recommendation though.
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >> The Registry edit in this KB article has resolved the problem for most

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6
He personally doesn't like it.

"***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hi Robear Dyer (PA Bear),
:
: You said:
:
: PS: Disable Norton AntiVirus before installing *any* updates and you
: shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Better yet, uninstall NAV and
replace
: it.
:
: __________________________________________________ ________
:
:
: Can you explain why you recommend uninstalling Nortan Anti Virus and
: recommend replacing it?
:
: Thanks,
:
: ***boylaca
:
:
:
:
: "PA Bear" wrote:
:
: > Crossposted to WU newsgroup.
: >
[...]
: > --
: > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
: > ***boylaca wrote:
: > > In your message you recommend:
: > >> The Registry edit in this KB article has resolved the problem for
most
: > >> IE6
: > >> users: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367
: > >
: > > When I read this webpage, it says:
: > >
: > >
: > > SYMPTOMS
: > >
: > > On a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Internet Explorer
6
: > > may
: > > stop responding when you try to visit a Web site.
: > >
: > > This issue may occur after you install certain cumulative security
updates
: > > for Internet Explorer. These security updates include security update
: > > 928090
: > > (security bulletin MS07-016), security update 931768 (security
bulletin
: > > MS07-027), and security update 933566 (security bulletin MS07-033).
: > >
: > > __________________________________________________ _________________
: > >
: > > "PA Bear" wrote:
: > >> The Registry edit in this KB article has resolved the problem for
most
: > >> IE6
: > >> users: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367
: > >> --
: > >> ***boylaca wrote:
: > >>> There is a defect in Cumulative Security Update for Internet
Explorer 6
: > >>> for
: > >>> Windows XP (KB942615) Date last published: 12/11/2007, because when
: > >>> installed it, it constantly gives me the error message "Internet
: > >>> Explorer
: > >>> has encountered a problem and needs to close" when I try to open
: > >>> Internet
: > >>> Explorer after my computer starts. Please reply if you can help
: >
: >

PA Bear

Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6
I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts [yes, that's how it's really spelled] that
NAV interfered with the proper install of 942615.

You can test this:

1. Disable NAV then uninstall 942615 via Add/Remove Programs.

2. Reboot and disable NAV again.

3. Don't do /anything/ else online except going immediately to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > select CUSTOM and scan > (Re)Install
942615 and any other critical updates offered [Do NOT install IE7!] > Follow
all prompts, and make certain you reboot.

If 942615 isn't currently installed, just do #1 and #3.
--
~PA Bear

***boylaca wrote:
> [...]

>>> WHAT I HAVE DONE:
>>>
>>> As recommended by the Microsoft technical support telephone
>>> representative
>>> in the Philippines, I have removed update KB942615 from my computer and
>>> it
>>> is working ok.
>>>
>>> Also it says:
>>>
>>> Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we
>>> recommend
>>> that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this
>>> hotfix.
>>>
>>> So I am waiting for Microsoft to issue a resolution rather than
>>> modifying
>>> my
>>> registry by myself which I have never done before.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the recommendation though.

PA Bear

Re: Defect in Security Update KB942615 for Internet Explorer 6
That, too.