Windows update changing settings?

Macanudo

Windows update changing settings?
I have an external hooked up to an old desk top (7 year old Dell running XP
professional) that we still have. The only reason I use it is to save music
and family pictures. Today, I was going to print some pictures for Christmas
cards. All of the folders on the external are there but none of the data,
except the most recent sub folder (Dec 2007.) They were there as of Friday or
so because I was looking at pics in a different sub folder.

I did some more digging last night. When I right click on the directory (in
this case it's the G drive), on the properties tab, the "read-only" box is
checked. The first time I unchecked it, the files showed up. I closed
Explorer and then went back into look at it. The files didn't show up (but
disk space was still the same (about 55 gb taken) The read-only box was
checked again.

Now that I think about it, this happened after a Windows Update ran on my
desktop sometime either Saturday or Sunday night.

Another thing... I keep getting a pop up (on the taskbar) saying that a
"Delayed Write Failed" relating to G:\$mft.

I think it was the windows update. Now, how do I reverse that to see if
that's it? Or is there something else I should do?

Macanudo

RE: Windows update changing settings?
Removing the 12/16 update worked. I can see the files now. Now I just need
to figure out which update was the screwy one so I can re-install the correct
updates.