error code 78F

student

error code 78F
Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
than one month old.
Hope to get som help from someone!!

Best regards

/Student
--
Vistaproblem
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: error code 78F
Download the SP1 directly and install it:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69BB1477-039C-464D-8860-DD1E0D8BC0F7@microsoft.com...
Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
than one month old.
Hope to get som help from someone!!

Best regards

/Student
--
Vistaproblem
student

Re: error code 78F
Thanks for your help, but unfortunately it still does not work, did not help
me, the installation failed again even if I first downloaded the file. Some
more suggestions please...??

--
Vistaproblem

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download the SP1 directly and install it:

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69BB1477-039C-464D-8860-DD1E0D8BC0F7@microsoft.com...
> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
> than one month old.
> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>
> Best regards
>
> /Student
> --
> Vistaproblem

student

Re: error code 78F
What does Error Code 78F means...? why does not MS have a error code
transaltion. Same problem still occur!
--
Vistaproblem

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download the SP1 directly and install it:

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69BB1477-039C-464D-8860-DD1E0D8BC0F7@microsoft.com...
> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
> than one month old.
> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>
> Best regards
>
> /Student
> --
> Vistaproblem

TaurArian

Re: error code 78F
The workaround is to leave the installation Office CD in the CD drive and then try to do
the update.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to run a repair of Office and then try the update
again.

====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
====================================
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm

"student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
| 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
| fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
| help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
| than one month old.
| Hope to get som help from someone!!
|
| Best regards
|
| /Student
| --
| Vistaproblem

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: error code 78F
Have you ever run any type of registry cleaner such as CCleaner?
If so try the back-up feature most of those tools have.
Some solve it by disabling anti virus.
Also disable any spyware removers, download accelerators and anything
else unnecessary running.
Then insert the Office 2007 DVD before going to Windows/Microsoft
Update.

Try repairing Office 2007
Go to Programs/Add Remove Programs in the control Panel and Select
Office 2007
From there take the option to "Repair".

Please post back with success or failure.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to
> installa
> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows
> Update it
> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code
> 78F...!!! Please
> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that
> is less
> than one month old.
> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>
> Best regards
>
> /Student
> --
> Vistaproblem

Peter Foldes

Re: error code 78F
Adding another possibility to try if you messed with your registry with a Reg Cleaning Tool.

1st Rename Office subkeys

Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0

4. Right click on 12.0 and rename them to Old12.
5. Close the Registry Editor.

2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2007

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2007 on the right pane
and click Change.
5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
6. Select “Reinstall and Repair” and click Next.
7. Select “Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation”.
8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

3rd. Install the Updates

--
Peter

"student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69BB1477-039C-464D-8860-DD1E0D8BC0F7@microsoft.com...
> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
> than one month old.
> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>
> Best regards
>
> /Student
> --
> Vistaproblem

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: error code 78F
> What does Error Code 78F means...? why does not MS have a error code
> transaltion. Same problem still occur!

On which OS? Perhaps they do. Switch to a cmd window and enter:

set /a c = 0x78F
and then
net helpmsg %c%

What do you get? FWIW on XPsp2 I see:

<cmd_output>
1935 is not a valid Windows network message number.
</cmd_output>

In any case you could try searching for the decimal equivalent of that hex code
in any log messages that your update changed to get more clues about it. Etc.

You could also use that decimal value to search the support site:

<title>BUG: Error 1935 During Install of the .NET Framework</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308096

(Live Search for
1935 site:support.microsoft.com
- first hit of many
)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> --
> Vistaproblem
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Download the SP1 directly and install it:

>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

>> "student" <student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69BB1477-039C-464D-8860-DD1E0D8BC0F7@microsoft.com...
>> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
>> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
>> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
>> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
>> than one month old.
>> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> /Student
>> --
>> Vistaproblem

Vaio User

RE: error code 78F
I am having exactly the same problem with my Vaio which is only a week old -
I have managed to install the update on my desktop which is running XP so it
appears to be a Vaio/Vista problem - I have tried the solutions suggested
without success - any other ideas?

"student" wrote:

> Please help me, this windows update drives me crazy! When trying to installa
> 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1) using Windows Update it
> fails all the time and I always receive the same error code 78F...!!! Please
> help me, what can be wrong? I am using my sony vaio new laptop that is less
> than one month old.
> Hope to get som help from someone!!
>
> Best regards
>
> /Student
> --
> Vistaproblem

Cabby

RE: error code 78F
I am running XP Pro with Office 2007 and am having the same problem. I tried
it through auto-update several times, then downloaded the file and installed
it separately, then ran a repair from the install site. I have a history of
four failed attempts now.

Does anyone else have suggestions?