Windows Update IE7 already installed

Not Me

Windows Update IE7 already installed
I have XP Pro SP2 with IE7 installed and working, but Windows Update tells
me I have critical updates (which is IE7) every day.
It tries to install IE7, reports the installation failed and asks to reboot.
How do I make it Windows Update recognize that I have IE7 already?
Help>About Internet Explorer says it is IE7 and the E has the gold ring...
--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
CarGodZeroOne@hotmail.com

PA Bear

Re: Windows Update IE7 already installed
Asked/Answered in IE General newsgroup. If you must make identical posts to
multiple newsgroups, please cross-post one (1) message to all of them.
Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Not Me wrote:
> I have XP Pro SP2 with IE7 installed and working, but Windows Update tells
> me I have critical updates (which is IE7) every day.
> It tries to install IE7, reports the installation failed and asks to
> reboot.
> How do I make it Windows Update recognize that I have IE7 already?
> Help>About Internet Explorer says it is IE7 and the E has the gold ring...

Shenan Stanley

Not Me wrote:
> I have XP Pro SP2 with IE7 installed and working, but Windows
> Update tells me I have critical updates (which is IE7) every day.
> It tries to install IE7, reports the installation failed and asks
> to reboot. How do I make it Windows Update recognize that I have
> IE7 already? Help>About Internet Explorer says it is IE7 and the E
> has the gold ring...

I'd suggest - as crazy as it might sound - downloading and installing IE7
manually.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

It may be that the original installation missed something or something has
become corrupt. In a re-install like this - it may remedy such issues for
you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kipp

"Not Me" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Pro SP2 with IE7 installed and working, but Windows Update tells
>me I have critical updates (which is IE7) every day.
> It tries to install IE7,

Did it try to install IE7 or IE7 Critical Updates? There's a big difference
there.

> reports the installation failed and asks to reboot.

Again, which failed? IE7 installation or Updates installation?

> How do I make it Windows Update recognize that I have IE7 already?
> Help>About Internet Explorer says it is IE7 and the E has the gold ring...

If it tries to install critical updates for IE7, there's nothing wrong with
that. There's a good chance that the update fails to install. In that case,
uninstall IE7, reboot and reinstall IE7. Apply updates after installing IE7.