KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disablin

gayboylaca

KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disablin
The head of technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support Center in
the Phillipines told me that the update KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft
Advisies Removing the update with your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (don't forget to
click on show updates) and Disabling Automatic Updating on your computer so
that it does not try to reinstall this update automatically.

He does not know when the problem will be fixed. I hope that Microsoft
issues new updates and an apology letter very soon.

I hope that Microsoft fires their Quality Assurance Manager (if they even
have one.)

Best wishes and Happy Holidays everyone!

gayboylaca

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disablin
Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors in my posting.

"Philippines" not Phillipines and "advises" not advisies are the correct
spelling for those words.

"***boylaca" wrote:

> The head of technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support Center in
> the Phillipines told me that the update KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft
> Advisies Removing the update with your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (don't forget to
> click on show updates) and Disabling Automatic Updating on your computer so
> that it does not try to reinstall this update automatically.
>
> He does not know when the problem will be fixed. I hope that Microsoft
> issues new updates and an apology letter very soon.
>
> I hope that Microsoft fires their Quality Assurance Manager (if they even
> have one.)
>
> Best wishes and Happy Holidays everyone!

Tresa

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
I will. Thanks for the info. I know what you mean, this site needs spell
checker. Happy Holidays to you.

"***boylaca" wrote:

> Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors in my posting.
>
> "Philippines" not Phillipines and "advises" not advisies are the correct
> spelling for those words.
>
> "***boylaca" wrote:
>
> > The head of technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support Center in
> > the Phillipines told me that the update KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft
> > Advisies Removing the update with your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (don't forget to
> > click on show updates) and Disabling Automatic Updating on your computer so
> > that it does not try to reinstall this update automatically.
> >
> > He does not know when the problem will be fixed. I hope that Microsoft
> > issues new updates and an apology letter very soon.
> >
> > I hope that Microsoft fires their Quality Assurance Manager (if they even
> > have one.)
> >
> > Best wishes and Happy Holidays everyone!

Shenan Stanley

Tresa wrote:
> I will. Thanks for the info. I know what you mean, this site needs
> spell checker. Happy Holidays to you.

Tresa,

Although there is a web interface for this newsgroup - it is recommended
that you not use the web interface to post/reply/keep track of your
messages. This is a newsgroup - not a web forum and the web interface
written to interface with it is - well - horrible. It has not changed that
i know of in a LONG time, it has issues that have repeated themselves many
times over in the years I have been here and just about everyone here will
tell you to find a different way to access the newsgroups.

Microsoft Newsgroups: Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...sgroupfaq.mspx

How to Configure Outlook Express for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171164

How to Subscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

A little more detail...
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

If you want to search for older posts than you may choose to keep on your
computer...
http://groups.google.com/

If you have Windows Vista - which I believe you might going by past
postings:

Accessing Newsgroups With Windows Mail
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

That should make things a little easier.
Enjoy!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kaz

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
I have reviewed the many postings regarding this issue as I experienced the
same on 1 out of 3 computers at home. It took me a a few hours to realize
that the solution was as you described. That is, uninstall the update.
While I appreciate the advise from many of the volunteers, I am choosing not
to perform any workarounds and will wait for a formal update from MS.

I would be interested to hear from the technical volunteers out there why
some computers are affected and others are not. My two computers that
experienced no issue are desktops with Windows XP Home, SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2.
The MFG and hardware content is completely different. While some software is
the same, there are differences. My laptop, which experienced the issue,
runs Windows XP Professional, SP2, and IE 6.0, SP2. So why does the update
affect some and not all? Differences in the version of URLMON.DLL,
hardware/software configurations, other? Thanks in advance.

While I realize this has turned into a very heated discussion and has opened
up the opportunities to bash MS, I do appreciate the efforts of the
volunteers. However, I do have to agree with those that have voiced their
concerns about the lack of quality control and thoroughness of the testing
exhibited.

"***boylaca" wrote:

> Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors in my posting.
>
> "Philippines" not Phillipines and "advises" not advisies are the correct
> spelling for those words.
>
> "***boylaca" wrote:
>
> > The head of technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support Center in
> > the Phillipines told me that the update KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft
> > Advisies Removing the update with your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (don't forget to
> > click on show updates) and Disabling Automatic Updating on your computer so
> > that it does not try to reinstall this update automatically.
> >
> > He does not know when the problem will be fixed. I hope that Microsoft
> > issues new updates and an apology letter very soon.
> >
> > I hope that Microsoft fires their Quality Assurance Manager (if they even
> > have one.)
> >
> > Best wishes and Happy Holidays everyone!

gayboylaca

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
Hi Kaz,

I am not a technical volunteer, just a personal computer user, but I can
share with you what the technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support
Center in the Philippines told me.

He said that the update KB942615 was intended for personal computers running
a different Windows operating system such as Windows ME and not the Windows
XP operating system. The problem is that the update KB942615 incorrectly
tries to install on computers running the Windows XP operating system. Since
it was not intended for Windows XP users, it causes the errors.

Maybe that is why you may be experiencing different problems with different
personal computers.

ASIDE FROM THAT:

By the way, can you tell me why you are using Internet Explorer 6 instead of
Internet Explorer 7?

I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Internet Explorer 6 because I was
having difficulties with Internet Explorer 7 on my personal computer.

Please reply.

Thanks,

***boylaca

"Kaz" wrote:

> I have reviewed the many postings regarding this issue as I experienced the
> same on 1 out of 3 computers at home. It took me a a few hours to realize
> that the solution was as you described. That is, uninstall the update.
> While I appreciate the advise from many of the volunteers, I am choosing not
> to perform any workarounds and will wait for a formal update from MS.
>
> I would be interested to hear from the technical volunteers out there why
> some computers are affected and others are not. My two computers that
> experienced no issue are desktops with Windows XP Home, SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2.
> The MFG and hardware content is completely different. While some software is
> the same, there are differences. My laptop, which experienced the issue,
> runs Windows XP Professional, SP2, and IE 6.0, SP2. So why does the update
> affect some and not all? Differences in the version of URLMON.DLL,
> hardware/software configurations, other? Thanks in advance.
>
> While I realize this has turned into a very heated discussion and has opened
> up the opportunities to bash MS, I do appreciate the efforts of the
> volunteers. However, I do have to agree with those that have voiced their
> concerns about the lack of quality control and thoroughness of the testing
> exhibited.
>
> "***boylaca" wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors in my posting.
> >
> > "Philippines" not Phillipines and "advises" not advisies are the correct
> > spelling for those words.
> >
> > "***boylaca" wrote:
> >
> > > The head of technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support Center in
> > > the Phillipines told me that the update KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft
> > > Advisies Removing the update with your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS (don't forget to
> > > click on show updates) and Disabling Automatic Updating on your computer so
> > > that it does not try to reinstall this update automatically.
> > >
> > > He does not know when the problem will be fixed. I hope that Microsoft
> > > issues new updates and an apology letter very soon.
> > >
> > > I hope that Microsoft fires their Quality Assurance Manager (if they even
> > > have one.)
> > >
> > > Best wishes and Happy Holidays everyone!

Kaz

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
Thanks for your reply. I submitted a case number with MS simply to record
the issue (URLMON.DLL runtime errors after installation of KB). While I do
not doubt what the MS support center told you, I am confused why he would say
this update is only for non-XP opetating systems such as Windows ME as
KB942615 is still posted on the MS website and states no mention of Windows
Me as follows:

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1, when used with:
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, when used with:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-Based
Systems
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based
Systems
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition

• Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003 IA64
• Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
• Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003
• Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

I chose not to upgrade to IE7 since colleages exprienced browser issues and
slower response when it was first released. Since I am happy with IE 6.0 and
not used to the multiple tab environment, I have chosen not to upgrade at
this time.

"***boylaca" wrote:

> Hi Kaz,
>
> I am not a technical volunteer, just a personal computer user, but I can
> share with you what the technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support
> Center in the Philippines told me.
>
> He said that the update KB942615 was intended for personal computers running
> a different Windows operating system such as Windows ME and not the Windows
> XP operating system. The problem is that the update KB942615 incorrectly
> tries to install on computers running the Windows XP operating system. Since
> it was not intended for Windows XP users, it causes the errors.
>
> Maybe that is why you may be experiencing different problems with different
> personal computers.
>
> ASIDE FROM THAT:
>
> By the way, can you tell me why you are using Internet Explorer 6 instead of
> Internet Explorer 7?
>
> I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Internet Explorer 6 because I was
> having difficulties with Internet Explorer 7 on my personal computer.
>
> Please reply.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ***boylaca
>

> __________________________________________________ _________________
>
> "Kaz" wrote:
>
> > I have reviewed the many postings regarding this issue as I experienced the
> > same on 1 out of 3 computers at home. It took me a a few hours to realize
> > that the solution was as you described. That is, uninstall the update.
> > While I appreciate the advise from many of the volunteers, I am choosing not
> > to perform any workarounds and will wait for a formal update from MS.
> >
> > I would be interested to hear from the technical volunteers out there why
> > some computers are affected and others are not. My two computers that
> > experienced no issue are desktops with Windows XP Home, SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2.
> > The MFG and hardware content is completely different. While some software is
> > the same, there are differences. My laptop, which experienced the issue,
> > runs Windows XP Professional, SP2, and IE 6.0, SP2. So why does the update
> > affect some and not all? Differences in the version of URLMON.DLL,
> > hardware/software configurations, other? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > While I realize this has turned into a very heated discussion and has opened
> > up the opportunities to bash MS, I do appreciate the efforts of the
> > volunteers. However, I do have to agree with those that have voiced their
> > concerns about the lack of quality control and thoroughness of the testing
> > exhibited.
> >
> > "***boylaca" wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for the spelling and grammatical errors in my posting.
> > >
> > > "Philippines" not Phillipines and "advises" not advisies are the correct
> > > spelling for those words.

gayboylaca

RE: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
Hi Kaz,

I asked the technical support representative in the Philippines the same
question:
"Why is KB942615 posted for used by Windows XP users on the Microsoft
website?"
His answer was that Microsoft made a mistake.

I don't remember which operating system exactly that he said the update was
supposed to be for, but he specifically stated it was not supposed to be for
Windows XP as stated on the Microsoft website.

_____________________

Regarding Internet Explorer 7 I agree with you 100%. For me part of the
problems were that Internet Explorer 7 was much slower and gave a slower
response, and I did not like the multiple tab environment either. Among
other problems I was experiencing, you said it in a nutshell. That's why I
switched back to Internet Explorer 6.

Have a happy holiday season Kaz, and thanks for writing back.

Sincerely,

***boylaca

"Kaz" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I would be interested to hear from the technical volunteers out there why
> > > some computers are affected and others are not. My two computers that
> > > experienced no issue are desktops with Windows XP Home, SP2, and IE 6.0 SP2.
> > > The MFG and hardware content is completely different. While some software is
> > > the same, there are differences. My laptop, which experienced the issue,
> > > runs Windows XP Professional, SP2, and IE 6.0, SP2. So why does the update
> > > affect some and not all? Differences in the version of URLMON.DLL,
> > > hardware/software configurations, other? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > While I realize this has turned into a very heated discussion and has opened
> > > up the opportunities to bash MS, I do appreciate the efforts of the
> > > volunteers. However, I do have to agree with those that have voiced their
> > > concerns about the lack of quality control and thoroughness of the testing

Ottmar Freudenberger

"***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I am not a technical volunteer, just a personal computer user, but I can
> share with you what the technical support at the Microsoft Telephone Support
> Center in the Philippines told me.
>
> He said that the update KB942615 was intended for personal computers running
> a different Windows operating system such as Windows ME and not the Windows
> XP operating system. The problem is that the update KB942615 incorrectly
> tries to install on computers running the Windows XP operating system. Since
> it was not intended for Windows XP users, it causes the errors.

Sorry, I don't want to be rude nor offend *you*, but that's plain nonsense.
There's no support for Windows 98/Me since July 2006 by MS anyway and yes,
KB942615 for IE6 running on Windows XP SP2 *is* an update that fixes several
more or less serious security holes - but has a bug in it's "compilation".
To workaround the issue, you may want to followup the following thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP02.phx. gbl

Once again: Please note, that the issue dealed with in the thread linked to
above deals with IE6 running on Windows XP SP2 and having KB942615 for that
very configuaration applied! It does *NOT* deal with IE6 running on Windows
2000 nor IE7 running on any other Windows platform.

Bye,
Freudi
Kaz

Re: KB942615 is Defective and Microsoft Advisies Removing and Disa
Freudi,

Thanks for the clarification. I have read your informative feedback to the
many questions being posted on this subject since the KB was released. Many
volunteers have been working overtime to support those in need. Have you
received any private feedback or can you comment on the following:

1. With the same operating system (XP, SP2) and the same IE version (6.0,
SP2), why are some computers affected and others not? I checked my three
computers and all have the same version of URLMON.DLL (6.0.2900.3199). Only
one computer was negatively impacted by the upgrade (URLMON.DLL runtime
error).

2. For those of us not wishing to perform the workaround, have you received
any feedback from MS as to the release of a revised upgrade?

3. Did you receive any feedback on your suggestions so elloquently stated
below?

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: "Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:59:52 +0100
Subject: Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly

Now, since the "registry hack" seems to solve the problems with urlmon.dll
running IE6 under Windows XP SP2, wouldn't it be a good idea to revise the
Security Bulletin MS07-069 and the "Known Issues" section there which still
states, that there are no known problems?

Further more, what will the next steps be from MS to really fix the issue
for the average user? The release of a KB942615v2 for IE6 on Windows XP SP2
*inculding* the registry fix or even better, releasing the update package
with a fixed urlmon.dll? Me thinks it's somewhat unacceptable to force
users hacking in the heart and brain of Windows aka the registry themself
and leaving those users in the dark, which will most likely never find the
way into the newsgroups to get aware of the -well- "fix".