Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007
Bob Held
 

Posts: n/a
KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
URLMON.DLL

This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
updates.

I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
back working fine.

Windows XP SP2
IE 6

Bob H


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
And...?

Bob Held wrote:
> IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
> URLMON.DLL
>
> This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
> updates.
>
> I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
> back working fine.
>
> Windows XP SP2
> IE 6
>
> Bob H

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
Ottmar Freudenberger
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
"Bob Held" <bob.held@negmills.com> schrieb:

> IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
> URLMON.DLL
>
> This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
> updates.


That's a known issue, see
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...individual.net
for a workaround.

> I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
> back working fine.


Please let the critical update install again and apply the workaround.

> Windows XP SP2
> IE 6


Bye,
Freudi
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
gayboylaca
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
That might be fine for sophisticated computer people like you Freudi, but for
the vast majority, Microsoft has to issue an apology and easy to fix update
for the masses.


"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Bob Held" <bob.held@negmills.com> schrieb:
>
> > IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
> > URLMON.DLL
> >
> > This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
> > updates.

>
> That's a known issue, see
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...individual.net
> for a workaround.
>
> > I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
> > back working fine.

>
> Please let the critical update install again and apply the workaround.
>
> > Windows XP SP2
> > IE 6

>
> Bye,
> Freudi
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
PA Bear
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
Chillax, d00d.

***boylaca wrote:
> That might be fine for sophisticated computer people like you Freudi, but
> for the vast majority, Microsoft has to issue an apology and easy to fix
> update for the masses.
>
>
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:
>
>> "Bob Held" <bob.held@negmills.com> schrieb:
>>
>>> IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
>>> URLMON.DLL
>>>
>>> This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
>>> updates.

>>
>> That's a known issue, see
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...individual.net
>> for a workaround.
>>
>>> I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything
>>> is
>>> back working fine.

>>
>> Please let the critical update install again and apply the workaround.
>>
>>> Windows XP SP2
>>> IE 6

>>
>> Bye,
>> Freudi


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
Ottmar Freudenberger
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
"***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:
>
>> "Bob Held" <bob.held@negmills.com> schrieb:
>>
>> > IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
>> > URLMON.DLL
>> >
>> > This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
>> > updates.

>>
>> That's a known issue, see
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...individual.net
>> for a workaround.
>>
>> > I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
>> > back working fine.

>>
>> Please let the critical update install again and apply the workaround.
>>
>> > Windows XP SP2
>> > IE 6


> That might be fine for sophisticated computer people like you Freudi, but for
> the vast majority, Microsoft has to issue an apology and easy to fix update
> for the masses.


Now, please re-read my posting linked to above. Read what I've written
in MS's direction. Read what I've written to workaround the issue. And
afterwards read the Security Bulletin MS07-069 mentioning the security
holes which are trageted to be fixed with KB942615.

After having done all this, you may want to call your "MS Philippines
Tech Supporter" rubbish and re-think what you've written in my direction.

No, I'm not related to MS anyhow else but as a user of some of their
products.

Bye,
Freudi
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2007
gayboylaca
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
Microsoft said they are working on a fix for the problem with URLMON.DLL
which is causing errors on some computers. The technical support
representative said I should wait until the fix is available from the
Microsoft Update website, and keep KB942615 removed and hidden until that
time.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> > "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:
> >
> >> "Bob Held" <bob.held@negmills.com> schrieb:
> >>
> >> > IE was crashing, Application Event log showed Event ID: 1000 involving
> >> > URLMON.DLL
> >> >
> >> > This behavior started immediately after installing the December security
> >> > updates.
> >>
> >> That's a known issue, see
> >> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...individual.net
> >> for a workaround.
> >>
> >> > I un-installed KB942615 IE Cumulative Update, restarted and everything is
> >> > back working fine.
> >>
> >> Please let the critical update install again and apply the workaround.
> >>
> >> > Windows XP SP2
> >> > IE 6

>
> > That might be fine for sophisticated computer people like you Freudi, but for
> > the vast majority, Microsoft has to issue an apology and easy to fix update
> > for the masses.

>
> Now, please re-read my posting linked to above. Read what I've written
> in MS's direction. Read what I've written to workaround the issue. And
> afterwards read the Security Bulletin MS07-069 mentioning the security
> holes which are trageted to be fixed with KB942615.
>
> After having done all this, you may want to call your "MS Philippines
> Tech Supporter" rubbish and re-think what you've written in my direction.
>
> No, I'm not related to MS anyhow else but as a user of some of their
> products.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Ottmar Freudenberger
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
"***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Microsoft said they are working on a fix for the problem with URLMON.DLL
> which is causing errors on some computers.


True.

> The technical support
> representative said I should wait until the fix is available from the
> Microsoft Update website, and keep KB942615 removed and hidden until that
> time.


That's a *bad advise* in case it was given. See also
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP04.phx.g bl
for your reference.

Bye,
Freudi
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
gayboylaca
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
Dear Ottmar Freudenberger (Freudi),

What do you advise exactly that I should do since I have Windows XP SP2
using Internet Expolorer 6 and I am experiencing crashes after installing
security update 942615 on my computer?

Please consider these 3 options:

1. should I install KB942615 and then go through steps 1 - 9 for the
WORKAROUND
mentiioned at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

2. or should I do the WORKAROUND steps mentioned at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627 first and then install KB942615

3. or should I leave KB942615 hidden and wait for new updates from Microsoft
to be released

SPECIAL REQUEST:

Please explain step by step in easy to understand language because I am a
novice user, and I need step by step advice to do this or I may not
understand and get confused.

Thanks you for your assistance in advance, and I look forward to hearing
back from you because I am a little confused as to what to do right now.

Also, please explain your reasoning.

Sincerely,

***boylaca



"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Microsoft said they are working on a fix for the problem with URLMON.DLL
> > which is causing errors on some computers.

>
> True.
>
> > The technical support
> > representative said I should wait until the fix is available from the
> > Microsoft Update website, and keep KB942615 removed and hidden until that
> > time.

>
> That's a *bad advise* in case it was given. See also
> http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP04.phx.g bl
> for your reference.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007
Ottmar Freudenberger
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB942615 December IE Cumulative Update - Crashing IE
"***boylaca" <***boylaca@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> What do you advise exactly that I should do since I have Windows XP SP2
> using Internet Expolorer 6 and I am experiencing crashes after installing
> security update 942615 on my computer?
>
> Please consider these 3 options:
>
> 1. should I install KB942615 and then go through steps 1 - 9 for the
> WORKAROUND
> mentiioned at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627
>
> 2. or should I do the WORKAROUND steps mentioned at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627 first and then install KB942615


It doesn't/shouldn't matter when the registry key is beeing set (before or
after installing KB942615). But they need to be set in case you're running
Windows XP SP2 with IE6 and are seeing IE crashing in urlmon.dll after
having KB942615 applied.

Instead of manually munging in the registry, you may want to download
http://patch-info.de/IE/Downloads/IE..._dll-Crash.zip and open
it.
By double clicking on the contained IE6SP2_Hotfix_KB942367_aktivieren.reg
the registry entries mentioned in KB946627 (and KB942367) and letting it
merge into the registry, you're done.

> 3. or should I leave KB942615 hidden and wait for new updates from Microsoft
> to be released


Nope, since KB942615 is closing some security holes in IE, which are
actively beeing exploited already "in the wild".

Bye,
Freudi
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Update KB942615 fredgranger29 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 12-18-2007 18:43
UPDATE to KB942615! someguy469 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 12-17-2007 14:58
Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615 Max microsoft.public.windowsupdate 6 12-15-2007 08:28
Re: Explorer 6 Update KB942615 PA Bear microsoft.public.windowsupdate 11 12-14-2007 06:31
Update error kb942615 vdHerik microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog 0 12-12-2007 22:40




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:02.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120