Unstable

Yondaime

Unstable
I addressed a certain problem that my Windows Update had. It kept giving me
the same updates everytime. So I hid those "new" updates. After that I could
installed all the Languague packs I needed except 2 the Spanish and Chinese
Languague Pack so I searched for a solution. I installed a HotFix
(Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
unstable including my Windows Explorer. It erases the Update History List and
is still giving me the option to install updates (such as Windows DreamScene)
that I have already installed. What should I do.

Sincerely,

Yondaime.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Unstable
> I installed a HotFix (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> unstable including my Windows Explorer.

You need to contact the folks who supplied the HotFix. It was obtained
from Microsoft, correct ?

Or, do you mean the UPDATE, Windows6.0-KB942903-x86.msu that you
downloaded from:

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Yondaime wrote:

> I addressed a certain problem that my Windows Update had. It kept giving me
> the same updates everytime. So I hid those "new" updates. After that I could
> installed all the Languague packs I needed except 2 the Spanish and Chinese
> Languague Pack so I searched for a solution. I installed a HotFix
> (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> unstable including my Windows Explorer. It erases the Update History List and
> is still giving me the option to install updates (such as Windows DreamScene)
> that I have already installed. What should I do.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Yondaime.

Yondaime

Re: Unstable
Yes it was from this forum, if I recall. And yes it was an Update. I went to
the link you gave me and it is the same patch/update that I downloaded on
Dec. 13th. Let me rephrase everything. Before I installed that update
(Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) I couldn't download nor install 4 languague packs
(Italian, Spanish, Chinese HongKong RAR and Korean). After I installed the
update only 2 of those languague packs were installed: Italian and Korean.
Thus there were 2 remaining, but the "Windows Update" program became very
unstable.

For example, it erased the "View your update history" list, by itself --on
the other hand, at the bottom left of the green/blue frame there is a
category named "See Also" which has "Installed Updates" options. I clicked
it and it showed me every update I have done using "Windows Update" since I
installed Windows Vista Ultimate--.

***But how could I repair my "Windows Update" so I can install those 2
remaining Languagues and to make it stop erasing the "View your Update
History" list?***

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> > I installed a HotFix (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> > unstable including my Windows Explorer.

> You need to contact the folks who supplied the HotFix. It was obtained
> from Microsoft, correct ?
>
> Or, do you mean the UPDATE, Windows6.0-KB942903-x86.msu that you
> downloaded from:
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Yondaime wrote:
>
> > I addressed a certain problem that my Windows Update had. It kept giving me
> > the same updates everytime. So I hid those "new" updates. After that I could
> > installed all the Languague packs I needed except 2 the Spanish and Chinese
> > Languague Pack so I searched for a solution. I installed a HotFix
> > (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> > unstable including my Windows Explorer. It erases the Update History List and
> > is still giving me the option to install updates (such as Windows DreamScene)
> > that I have already installed. What should I do.
> >

> > Sincerely,
> >

> > Yondaime.

Yondaime

Re: Unstable
Today, Dec. 18, I found a correlation to my problem. My "Windows OneCare"
suddenly change the color of its task bar icon to red. The cause was that
the "Automatic Update" function wasn't on (It is always on, but something is
turning it off). So I turned it on, and when I opened the "Windows Update"
program it was also in red with the following message: "Always intall the
latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance"

And my "View your update history" list was blank, -cero- updates were in it.
I clicked the "Check for updates" button and all my old updates were
available for me to download.

"Yondaime" wrote:

> Yes it was from this forum, if I recall. And yes it was an Update. I went to
> the link you gave me and it is the same patch/update that I downloaded on
> Dec. 13th. Let me rephrase everything. Before I installed that update
> (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) I couldn't download nor install 4 languague packs
> (Italian, Spanish, Chinese HongKong RAR and Korean). After I installed the
> update only 2 of those languague packs were installed: Italian and Korean.
> Thus there were 2 remaining, but the "Windows Update" program became very
> unstable.
>
> For example, it erased the "View your update history" list, by itself --on
> the other hand, at the bottom left of the green/blue frame there is a
> category named "See Also" which has "Installed Updates" options. I clicked
> it and it showed me every update I have done using "Windows Update" since I
> installed Windows Vista Ultimate--.
>
> ***But how could I repair my "Windows Update" so I can install those 2
> remaining Languagues and to make it stop erasing the "View your Update
> History" list?***
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > I installed a HotFix (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> > > unstable including my Windows Explorer.

> > You need to contact the folks who supplied the HotFix. It was obtained
> > from Microsoft, correct ?
> >
> > Or, do you mean the UPDATE, Windows6.0-KB942903-x86.msu that you
> > downloaded from:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Yondaime wrote:
> >
> > > I addressed a certain problem that my Windows Update had. It kept giving me
> > > the same updates everytime. So I hid those "new" updates. After that I could
> > > installed all the Languague packs I needed except 2 the Spanish and Chinese
> > > Languague Pack so I searched for a solution. I installed a HotFix
> > > (Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) and since then my Windows Update is completely
> > > unstable including my Windows Explorer. It erases the Update History List and
> > > is still giving me the option to install updates (such as Windows DreamScene)
> > > that I have already installed. What should I do.
> > >

> > > Sincerely,
> > >

> > > Yondaime.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Unstable
Which antivirus/security software is installed besides OneCare ?

Suggest you try :

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Yondaime wrote:

> Today, Dec. 18, I found a correlation to my problem. My "Windows OneCare"
> suddenly change the color of its task bar icon to red. The cause was that
> the "Automatic Update" function wasn't on (It is always on, but something is
> turning it off). So I turned it on, and when I opened the "Windows Update"
> program it was also in red with the following message: "Always intall the
> latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance"
>
> And my "View your update history" list was blank, -cero- updates were in it.
> I clicked the "Check for updates" button and all my old updates were
> available for me to download.
>
> "Yondaime" wrote:
>

>>Yes it was from this forum, if I recall. And yes it was an Update. I went to
>>the link you gave me and it is the same patch/update that I downloaded on
>>Dec. 13th. Let me rephrase everything. Before I installed that update
>>(Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) I couldn't download nor install 4 languague packs
>>(Italian, Spanish, Chinese HongKong RAR and Korean). After I installed the
>>update only 2 of those languague packs were installed: Italian and Korean.
>>Thus there were 2 remaining, but the "Windows Update" program became very
>>unstable.
>>
>>For example, it erased the "View your update history" list, by itself --on
>>the other hand, at the bottom left of the green/blue frame there is a
>>category named "See Also" which has "Installed Updates" options. I clicked
>>it and it showed me every update I have done using "Windows Update" since I
>>installed Windows Vista Ultimate--.
>>
>>***But how could I repair my "Windows Update" so I can install those 2
>>remaining Languagues and to make it stop erasing the "View your Update
>>History" list?***

>>>You need to contact the folks who supplied the HotFix. It was obtained
>>>from Microsoft, correct ?
>>>
>>>Or, do you mean the UPDATE, Windows6.0-KB942903-x86.msu that you
>>>downloaded from:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>>>

>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten
>>>===============

Yondaime

Re: Unstable
[Dec. 20.207]
I had installed TrenMicro Antivirus Trial Version. Then I unistalled it, and
I proceded to install Windows OneCare. Right now I following the instructions
from the last link, that you kindly gave me. Let's hope for good results.

Yondaime

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Which antivirus/security software is installed besides OneCare ?
>
> Suggest you try :
>
> Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
> responding
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Yondaime wrote:
>
> > Today, Dec. 18, I found a correlation to my problem. My "Windows OneCare"
> > suddenly change the color of its task bar icon to red. The cause was that
> > the "Automatic Update" function wasn't on (It is always on, but something is
> > turning it off). So I turned it on, and when I opened the "Windows Update"
> > program it was also in red with the following message: "Always intall the
> > latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance"
> >
> > And my "View your update history" list was blank, -cero- updates were in it.
> > I clicked the "Check for updates" button and all my old updates were
> > available for me to download.
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Yondaime" wrote:
> >

> >>Yes it was from this forum, if I recall. And yes it was an Update. I went to
> >>the link you gave me and it is the same patch/update that I downloaded on
> >>Dec. 13th. Let me rephrase everything. Before I installed that update
> >>(Windows6.0-KB942903-x86) I couldn't download nor install 4 languague packs
> >>(Italian, Spanish, Chinese HongKong RAR and Korean). After I installed the
> >>update only 2 of those languague packs were installed: Italian and Korean.
> >>Thus there were 2 remaining, but the "Windows Update" program became very
> >>unstable.
> >>
> >>For example, it erased the "View your update history" list, by itself --on
> >>the other hand, at the bottom left of the green/blue frame there is a
> >>category named "See Also" which has "Installed Updates" options. I clicked
> >>it and it showed me every update I have done using "Windows Update" since I
> >>installed Windows Vista Ultimate--.
> >>
> >>***But how could I repair my "Windows Update" so I can install those 2
> >>remaining Languagues and to make it stop erasing the "View your Update
> >>History" list?***

Yondaime

Re: Unstable
[Dec. 20.2007 - 2:55pm]
I went to thru the whole process of verifying the system files with the
"System File Checker" tool thru the command prompt (just like this link says
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/). But, what should I do when the
"verification phase of system scan" ends without a 100% of completition (In
my case it stopped at 93%)?

Yondaime
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [Dec. 20.2007 - 8:49am]
> I had installed TrenMicro Antivirus Trial Version. Then I unistalled it, and
> I proceded to install Windows OneCare. Right now I following the instructions
> from the last link, that you kindly gave me. Let's hope for good results.
>
> Yondaime
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Which antivirus/security software is installed besides OneCare ?
> >
> > Suggest you try :
> >
> > Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
> > responding
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/
> >

> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > Yondaime wrote:
> >
> > > Today, Dec. 18, I found a correlation to my problem. My "Windows OneCare"
> > > suddenly change the color of its task bar icon to red. The cause was that
> > > the "Automatic Update" function wasn't on (It is always on, but something is
> > > turning it off). So I turned it on, and when I opened the "Windows Update"
> > > program it was also in red with the following message: "Always intall the
> > > latest updates to enhance your computer's security and performance"
> > >
> > > And my "View your update history" list was blank, -cero- updates were in it.
> > > I clicked the "Check for updates" button and all my old updates were
> > > available for me to download.
> > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Unstable
Did you follow the steps in the section that states

> To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these
> steps:

???
Did you check Sfcdetails.txt for any clues ?

It *may* be time to do an in place upgrade of Vista.
Use the ' Upgrade procedure ' on this page :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

[Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935511
" Method 2: Reinstall Windows Vista
For more information about how to perform an in-place upgrade of the
Windows Vista operating system, click the following article number to
view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
918884 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/) How to install Windows
Vista
Follow the steps that are listed in the "Upgrade Procedure" section to
perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Vista." ]

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten