Code 51E on SP1 update

Joshua Gottesman

Code 51E on SP1 update
I have tried installing this update at least a half dozen times, and keep
getting this same Code 51E error. I've done this with the Windows Office
2007 DVD in the drive and with it not in the drive, I've done it with virus
protection on and virus protection off. Nothing seems to work. It just
won't install. Has anybody else experienced this and how was it solved?

In what may or may not be an unrelated issue, Word has been crashing on me
constantly recently. Windows diagnostics didn't find anything. It may have
to do with an add-in.
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update
Joshua;
What operating system?

Go to Programs/Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
Select Office 2007.
Then choose the Repair option.
Then try the update again.

The above applies if you attempting to install SP-1 for Office 2007.
Disregard if you are attempting to install SP-1 for Windows Vista
which is still Beta.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Joshua Gottesman" <Joshua Gottesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:3BDC7BB6-4F34-45A7-A30C-D9FE9D219A6B@microsoft.com...
>I have tried installing this update at least a half dozen times, and
>keep
> getting this same Code 51E error. I've done this with the Windows
> Office
> 2007 DVD in the drive and with it not in the drive, I've done it
> with virus
> protection on and virus protection off. Nothing seems to work. It
> just
> won't install. Has anybody else experienced this and how was it
> solved?
>
> In what may or may not be an unrelated issue, Word has been crashing
> on me
> constantly recently. Windows diagnostics didn't find anything. It
> may have
> to do with an add-in.

Joshua Gottesman

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update
Jupiter,
Vista Home Premium
I tried the repair option. I got a lot of things telling me cancel/retry
for where it thinks I don't have access to files (I'm the sole user and I'm
and administrator, so I don't know why it tells me this, I should have access
to everything). I am talking about SP1 for Office Suite 2007 (I have Small
Business), not SP1 for Vista itself.

Thanks for your help,

Joshua

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Joshua;
> What operating system?
>
> Go to Programs/Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> Select Office 2007.
> Then choose the Repair option.
> Then try the update again.
>
> The above applies if you attempting to install SP-1 for Office 2007.
> Disregard if you are attempting to install SP-1 for Windows Vista
> which is still Beta.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>

> "Joshua Gottesman" <Joshua Gottesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:3BDC7BB6-4F34-45A7-A30C-D9FE9D219A6B@microsoft.com...
> >I have tried installing this update at least a half dozen times, and
> >keep
> > getting this same Code 51E error. I've done this with the Windows
> > Office
> > 2007 DVD in the drive and with it not in the drive, I've done it
> > with virus
> > protection on and virus protection off. Nothing seems to work. It
> > just
> > won't install. Has anybody else experienced this and how was it
> > solved?
> >
> > In what may or may not be an unrelated issue, Word has been crashing
> > on me
> > constantly recently. Windows diagnostics didn't find anything. It
> > may have
> > to do with an add-in.

ekeyser

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update
For me this was an issue of the config.msi folder under c: being read-only.
But it's more than that. I have carbonite installed which affects that folder
in that way apparently. So just marking that folder as read/write isn't
enough - you need to disable carbonite (or for me anyway). This will solve
both problems probably btw.

"Joshua Gottesman" wrote:

> Jupiter,
> Vista Home Premium
> I tried the repair option. I got a lot of things telling me cancel/retry
> for where it thinks I don't have access to files (I'm the sole user and I'm
> and administrator, so I don't know why it tells me this, I should have access
> to everything). I am talking about SP1 for Office Suite 2007 (I have Small
> Business), not SP1 for Vista itself.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Joshua
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Joshua;
> > What operating system?
> >
> > Go to Programs/Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> > Select Office 2007.
> > Then choose the Repair option.
> > Then try the update again.
> >
> > The above applies if you attempting to install SP-1 for Office 2007.
> > Disregard if you are attempting to install SP-1 for Windows Vista
> > which is still Beta.
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >

> > "Joshua Gottesman" <Joshua Gottesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > in message news:3BDC7BB6-4F34-45A7-A30C-D9FE9D219A6B@microsoft.com...
> > >I have tried installing this update at least a half dozen times, and
> > >keep
> > > getting this same Code 51E error. I've done this with the Windows
> > > Office
> > > 2007 DVD in the drive and with it not in the drive, I've done it
> > > with virus
> > > protection on and virus protection off. Nothing seems to work. It
> > > just
> > > won't install. Has anybody else experienced this and how was it
> > > solved?
> > >
> > > In what may or may not be an unrelated issue, Word has been crashing
> > > on me
> > > constantly recently. Windows diagnostics didn't find anything. It
> > > may have
> > > to do with an add-in.

johnlft6

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update
Hello,

I seem to have the same problem installing sp1 for office 07 and the
config.msi folder. But I don't have carbonite installed. How can I find out
which program is causing the problem without uninstalling everything on my
computer?

thanks!

"ekeyser" wrote:

> For me this was an issue of the config.msi folder under c: being read-only.
> But it's more than that. I have carbonite installed which affects that folder
> in that way apparently. So just marking that folder as read/write isn't
> enough - you need to disable carbonite (or for me anyway). This will solve
> both problems probably btw.
>
> "Joshua Gottesman" wrote:
>
> > Jupiter,
> > Vista Home Premium
> > I tried the repair option. I got a lot of things telling me cancel/retry
> > for where it thinks I don't have access to files (I'm the sole user and I'm
> > and administrator, so I don't know why it tells me this, I should have access
> > to everything). I am talking about SP1 for Office Suite 2007 (I have Small
> > Business), not SP1 for Vista itself.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Joshua
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Joshua;
> > > What operating system?
> > >
> > > Go to Programs/Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
> > > Select Office 2007.
> > > Then choose the Repair option.
> > > Then try the update again.
> > >
> > > The above applies if you attempting to install SP-1 for Office 2007.
> > > Disregard if you are attempting to install SP-1 for Windows Vista
> > > which is still Beta.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> > >

> > > "Joshua Gottesman" <Joshua Gottesman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > > in message news:3BDC7BB6-4F34-45A7-A30C-D9FE9D219A6B@microsoft.com...

ekeyser

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update

Your best bet is to use something like processmonitor (from MS - used to be
sysinternals) to find out which process is touching that folder.

It's going to dump a lot of info to your screen so be sure to filter the
output. Something like "path contains 'config'"

"johnlft6" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to have the same problem installing sp1 for office 07 and the
> config.msi folder. But I don't have carbonite installed. How can I find out
> which program is causing the problem without uninstalling everything on my
> computer?
>
> thanks!
>
> "ekeyser" wrote:
>
> > For me this was an issue of the config.msi folder under c: being read-only.
> > But it's more than that. I have carbonite installed which affects that folder
> > in that way apparently. So just marking that folder as read/write isn't
> > enough - you need to disable carbonite (or for me anyway). This will solve
> > both problems probably btw.
> >
> > "Joshua Gottesman" wrote:
> >
> > > Jupiter,
> > > Vista Home Premium
> > > I tried the repair option. I got a lot of things telling me cancel/retry
> > > for where it thinks I don't have access to files (I'm the sole user and I'm
> > > and administrator, so I don't know why it tells me this, I should have access
> > > to everything). I am talking about SP1 for Office Suite 2007 (I have Small
> > > Business), not SP1 for Vista itself.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > > Joshua

cosmo

Re: Code 51E on SP1 update
I was having trouble installing SP3 (Vista home Premium). Found this post -
made config.msi R/W and disabled Carbonite - Problem solved - Thanks ekeyser!
--
Cosmo