RE: Windows Installer

jeanine

RE: Windows Installer
Hi there,

I am receiving the same error. I see that you posted this early in the year
but do not see any help or suggestions that you may have received. Have you
been able to fix this problem? If so, can you share some info with me? Thank
you for your time!

"LilKrysty" wrote:

> This warning has showed up on my laptop!! Error 1706. No valid source could
> be found for product InstantShareDevices. The Windows Installer cannot
> continue. It also says This feature you are trying to use is on a network
> resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate
> path to a folder containing the installation package 'InstantShareDevice.msi'
> in the box below.
>
> I have searched and searched for t his folder and cannot seem to find it.
> Please help!!
> --
> Thank you for your help!!!

jgsaravia

Re: Windows Installer

I have the same problem, how do you fixed?

--
jgsaravia

ceed

Re: Windows Installer
jgsaravia wrote:

|I have the same problem, how do you fixed?

I went several rounds with Microsoft support since they offer free
support for Windows Update on Vista. I finally got it fixed, but I had
to do this:

In-place upgrade

==========

Please Note: though this operation will not delete any installed
programs or files, we may still have to reinstall the device drivers
after the upgrade.

1. Start the computer and access Windows Vista.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate

.. If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen
appears. Click Install now.

.. If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation to you want" screen,
click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows Vista.

After that, please try to update again.

This worked for me, but I had three problems:

1. I had purchased my Vista upgrade on-line, so I had to figure out how
to create a working installation DVD from the downloaded files.

2. I had to install all updates again, about 50 of them after having
performed the procedure described above. A lot of work for three
updates, but probably worth it.

3. A few programs and devices didn't work right after this upgrade. For
instance I had to reninstall my anti virus and firewall software. A few
other programs also needed to be reinstalled. Now everything works fine
though.

Personally I think this has to do with the interaction between Windows
Update and System Restore. I did a system restore at some point and got
this update problem after that. This is just my gut feeling. Microsoft
support did not come up with any explanation as to how these errors
happens.

--
//ceed