Can no longer boot up after vista update.

typhoon763

Can no longer boot up after vista update.
My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
an issue. Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing.

An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
reboot cycle.

I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
crcdisk.sys "appears)
I have tried the last known good config same results.
I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. This fails too a
message that it cannot correct the issue. It shows the following

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 2752554
Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 3
Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
Problem Signature 10: 10
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

(As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
driver". If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)

I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
fails to create a log.

I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
as prior to this issue.

Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?

Thanks
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Can no longer boot up after vista update.
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"typhoon763" <typhoon763@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:171223AB-F2B7-4EE1-9CAC-1C32CAF8D0BA@microsoft.com...
> My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
> an issue. Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing.
>
> An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
> reboot cycle.
>
> I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
> crcdisk.sys "appears)
> I have tried the last known good config same results.
> I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. This fails too a
> message that it cannot correct the issue. It shows the following
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
> Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
> Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
> Problem Signature 03: 6
> Problem Signature 04: 2752554
> Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
> Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
> Problem Signature 07: 0
> Problem Signature 08: 3
> Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
> Problem Signature 10: 10
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> (As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
> line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
> driver". If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)

Wouldn't that crcdisk.sys be a good guess? ; )

BTW does Vista have the /SOS boot option?
That might give you more information...

BTW although you may perceive WU as being the cause of your problem
symptoms, I think you are more likely to find a repair solution in a newsgroup
which specializes in your OS. (FWIW I don't use Vista.) Cross-posting for
convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> fails to create a log.
>
> I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> as prior to this issue.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?
>
> Thanks

Bill Spiliotopoulos

"typhoon763" wrote:

> My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
> an issue. Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing.
>
> An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
> reboot cycle.
>
> I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
> crcdisk.sys "appears)
> I have tried the last known good config same results.
> I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. This fails too a
> message that it cannot correct the issue. It shows the following
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
> Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
> Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
> Problem Signature 03: 6
> Problem Signature 04: 2752554
> Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
> Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
> Problem Signature 07: 0
> Problem Signature 08: 3
> Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
> Problem Signature 10: 10
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> (As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
> line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
> driver". If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)
>
> I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> fails to create a log.
>
> I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> as prior to this issue.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?
>
> Thanks

Bill Spiliotopoulos

RE: Can no longer boot up after vista update.
I had the exact same problem today.

his is what I did to fix it:

Reboot with the F8.

On the boot-option menu I selected to use 640x480 resolution.
The vista booted normally, and configured the updates.
I restarted in normal resolution and it now works properly.

Hope this works for you,
Regards,
Bill Spiliotopoulos.

"typhoon763" wrote:

> My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
> an issue. Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing.
>
> An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
> reboot cycle.
>
> I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
> crcdisk.sys "appears)
> I have tried the last known good config same results.
> I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. This fails too a
> message that it cannot correct the issue. It shows the following
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
> Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
> Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
> Problem Signature 03: 6
> Problem Signature 04: 2752554
> Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
> Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
> Problem Signature 07: 0
> Problem Signature 08: 3
> Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
> Problem Signature 10: 10
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
>
> (As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
> line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
> driver". If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)
>
> I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> fails to create a log.
>
> I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> as prior to this issue.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?
>
> Thanks

dougroberson@gmail.com

Re: Can no longer boot up after vista update.
On Jan 10, 10:26*am, Bill Spiliotopoulos
<BillSpiliotopou...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I had the exact same problem today.
>
> his is what I did to fix it:
>
> Reboot with the F8.
>
> On the boot-option menu I selected to use 640x480 resolution.
> The vista booted normally, and configured the updates.
> I restarted in normal resolution and it now works properly.
>
> Hope this works for you,
> Regards,
> Bill Spiliotopoulos.
>

> "typhoon763" wrote:
> > My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
> > an issue. *Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing. *

> > An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
> > reboot cycle.

> > I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
> > crcdisk.sys "appears)
> > I have tried the last known good config same results.
> > I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. *This fails too a
> > message that it cannot correct the issue. *It shows the following *

> > Problem signature:
> > * Problem Event Name: * * *StartupRepairV2
> > * Problem Signature 01: * *ExternalMedia
> > * Problem Signature 02: * *6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
> > * Problem Signature 03: * *6
> > * Problem Signature 04: * *2752554
> > * Problem Signature 05: * *NoBootFailure
> > * Problem Signature 06: * *BadDriver
> > * Problem Signature 07: * *0
> > * Problem Signature 08: * *3
> > * Problem Signature 09: * *WrpRepair
> > * Problem Signature 10: * *10
> > * OS Version: * * *6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > * Locale ID: * * * 1033

> > (As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
> > line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
> > driver". *If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)

> > I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> > fails to create a log. *

> > I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> > the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> > bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> > as prior to this issue.

> > Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?

> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I am having the same problem in Vista 64bit Home Premium. Did the
updates last night. PC was still configuring updates after I shutdown
for the night. When I got up this morning it was hung on "shutting
down" screen. Itried the various restart options including the
suggested 640x480 option with no luck. The safe mode hangs at
loaded... /crcdisk.sys I tried the repair option with my disk and
nothing changed.
Thanks
Phillo

Re: Can no longer boot up after vista update.
I Too have been having problems with the "crcdisk.sys" problem.

However.... i have found a temporary fix. Windows update kept updated the
display drivers to the latest nvidia drivers. This seemed to cause the
problem. So i removed the drivers (in safe mode) and then rebooted the system.

Presto... it worked fine on the generic vista drivers. When you run the
update again..... down she goes.

I cannot find a decent resolution to this problem!!! can anyone suggest
anything?

"dougroberson@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Jan 10, 10:26 am, Bill Spiliotopoulos
> <BillSpiliotopou...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I had the exact same problem today.
> >
> > his is what I did to fix it:
> >
> > Reboot with the F8.
> >
> > On the boot-option menu I selected to use 640x480 resolution.
> > The vista booted normally, and configured the updates.
> > I restarted in normal resolution and it now works properly.
> >
> > Hope this works for you,
> > Regards,
> > Bill Spiliotopoulos.
> >

> > "typhoon763" wrote:
> > > My PC has been running vista ultimate for about 8 months now without much of
> > > an issue. Tuesday night I had the pleasure of that changing.

> > > An automatic update kicked in and when I awoke in the morning my pc was in a
> > > reboot cycle.

> > > I have tried all the safe modes, (it reboots right after the "loading
> > > crcdisk.sys "appears)
> > > I have tried the last known good config same results.
> > > I have booted with the install dvd and chosen repair. This fails too a
> > > message that it cannot correct the issue. It shows the following

> > > Problem signature:
> > > Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
> > > Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
> > > Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
> > > Problem Signature 03: 6
> > > Problem Signature 04: 2752554
> > > Problem Signature 05: NoBootFailure
> > > Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
> > > Problem Signature 07: 0
> > > Problem Signature 08: 3
> > > Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
> > > Problem Signature 10: 10
> > > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > > Locale ID: 1033

> > > (As an aside, would it have been too much trouble to have added one more
> > > line to this with something like "Oh by the way, the bad driver is the xxxx
> > > driver". If I knew what driver I know I could correct this problem.)

> > > I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> > > fails to create a log.

> > > I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> > > the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> > > bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> > > as prior to this issue.

> > > Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?

> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I am having the same problem in Vista 64bit Home Premium. Did the
> updates last night. PC was still configuring updates after I shutdown
> for the night. When I got up this morning it was hung on "shutting
> down" screen. Itried the various restart options including the
> suggested 640x480 option with no luck. The safe mode hangs at
> loaded... /crcdisk.sys I tried the repair option with my disk and
> nothing changed.
> Thanks

sparxos is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can no longer boot up after vista update.
Had a client with a machine with this problem. Looked to be hard drive related so I switched from AHCI to ATA in the BIOS and this allowed me to boot the computer into Vista. Once in there we found a lot of spyware which maybe the root cause of the problem. Once the machine was cleaned I was able to re-enable AHCI and the BSOD did not return. Hope this helps. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillo View Post
> [...]

> > > I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> > > fails to create a log.

> > > I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> > > the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> > > bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> > > as prior to this issue.

> > > Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?

> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I am having the same problem in Vista 64bit Home Premium. Did the
> updates last night. PC was still configuring updates after I shutdown
> for the night. When I got up this morning it was hung on "shutting
> down" screen. Itried the various restart options including the
> suggested 640x480 option with no luck. The safe mode hangs at
> loaded... /crcdisk.sys I tried the repair option with my disk and

CMDRKOENIG is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
> [...]

> > > I have tried booting up with F8 and selecting the enable logging, but it
> > > fails to create a log.
> >
> > > I thought maybe it was my nvidia raid driver, but the disks check out with
> > > the onboard tests as well as opening a command window when in the repair
> > > bootup and running chkdsk and the nvidia drivers appear to be the same ones
> > > as prior to this issue.
> >
> > > Does anyone have an idea where I can look to see what driver is failing?
> >
> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I am having the same problem in Vista 64bit Home Premium. Did the
> updates last night. PC was still configuring updates after I shutdown
> for the night. When I got up this morning it was hung on "shutting
> down" screen. Itried the various restart options including the
> suggested 640x480 option with no luck. The safe mode hangs at
> loaded... /crcdisk.sys I tried the repair option with my disk and

I had the same issues today with a 1 yr old Dell Laptop. After Updates (SP2 specifically). After copying the data off to another system (removed the HDD for that), and verifying no HDD errors, etc, I did a Vista Restore from the factory partition. No errors were reported during the restore process. However, on reboot- the SAME issues as above recurred, w/o even getting into Vista again.

On a whim- I went once again into the Bios settings to double-check- where I had been since the start of all of this and all had appeared normal... I basically RESET them to DEFAULT. The laptop is now booting normally and Vista is updating again on SP2.

I am uncertain as to why the BIOS would have been altered during the SP2 Update. But, something to try for others with similar issues.
Strange Days.