Error updating Windows Updater

Bill

Error updating Windows Updater
I get an error installing the Update for Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1(KB842773) with Error Code: 0xD00E4104 yet
all microsoft/ windows update says is to try again or look in the discussion
group (here)

Any one else experience this problem
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Error updating Windows Updater
"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get an error installing the Update for Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1(KB842773) with Error Code: 0xD00E4104 yet
> all microsoft/ windows update says is to try again or look in the discussion
> group (here)

BITS NG would be better I think. ; )

> Any one else experience this problem

frank cao [msft]

Re: Error updating Windows Updater
We have not hear of this error code before. But in a web search,

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...stall-kb9.aspx
which suggests to install the update:

Frank Cao [MSFT]

james@bestcadsolutions.com

RE: Error updating Windows Updater

I have had your problem before and this is the fix. It is painless to do:

This error is most likely caused by one of the following conditions:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.
2. The Windows Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.
3. The Windows Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

We can perform the following steps to get the issue resolved. After trying
each suggestion, please go to the Windows Update site to check the issue.
Thanks for your cooperation.
NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service.
If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet
or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet
connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I
recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the
Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when
completing the update process.

Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following
command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If the issue still persists, please move on to suggestion 2.
Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
======================================
1. Please download the file from the following link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe
2. Save the file to C: drive.
3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce"
(without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update
engine.
There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce"
Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the
D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root
directory.
If it still does not work, please proceed to suggestion 3 to reinstall
Windows Installer 3.1. (If previous version of Windows Installer has been
installed, please remove it before reinstalling Windows Installer 3.1)
Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
==================================
1. Press Start and choose Run.
2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.
3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
MSIexec /regserver

After finishing the above steps, please check the result again. If the issue
persists, please click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove
Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If it has,
please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows
Installer 3.1 from the following link.

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

If the above suggestions do not work, please re-enable the firewall and
antivirus programs, and provide me with the following information for
research.

Good luck with it,
Data