XP critical update kb885836 fails to install

Geoplay

XP critical update kb885836 fails to install
When I tried to install this update from y]this month's updates, it would not
take, and when I examined why, I got a message that I was denied access. As I
am the only user, and therefore have admin rights, I don't understand why. Is
it perhaps necessary to change or add a registry key entry? Asolution would
be very much appreciated.
TaurArian

Re: XP critical update kb885836 fails to install
kb885836 is not from this month's update :
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-dec.mspx

kb885836 is 3 years old !

Please provide more further information -

On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed update (red mark)
and see if there is an error code.
If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the alternative, do a search
for the error code.
Reference articles -

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update
Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows Update Web site on a Windows
XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Geoplay" <Geoplay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I tried to install this update from y]this month's updates, it would not
| take, and when I examined why, I got a message that I was denied access. As I
| am the only user, and therefore have admin rights, I don't understand why. Is
| it perhaps necessary to change or add a registry key entry? Asolution would
| be very much appreciated.

Geoplay

"TaurArian" wrote:

> kb885836 is not from this month's update :
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms07-dec.mspx
>
> kb885836 is 3 years old !
>
> Please provide more further information -
>
> On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed update (red mark)
> and see if there is an error code.
> If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the alternative, do a search
> for the error code.
> Reference articles -
>
> How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update
> Services installation issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by
> using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> You cannot install updates that you download from the Windows Update Web site on a Windows
> XP-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934648/
>

> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
> ====================================
> http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm
>

> "Geoplay" <Geoplay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | When I tried to install this update from y]this month's updates, it would not
> | take, and when I examined why, I got a message that I was denied access. As I
> | am the only user, and therefore have admin rights, I don't understand why. Is
> | it perhaps necessary to change or add a registry key entry? Asolution would
> | be very much appreciated.

Geoplay

Re: XP critical update kb885836 fails to install

"Geoplay" wrote:Sorry, I pressed the Post button too early. I know the
update is three years old, but it is showing in the critical updates for
December 2007. There are also two optional software updates, for .NET
Framework 3.0 SP1, KB929300, and .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 KB110806. The all
show as being downloaded and ready to install, buy will not install. I hsve
searched the support page and can find no fix.