Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Updates show in list but fail to install

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2007
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Updates show in list but fail to install
SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
expected. Did windows update, list shows
Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)

Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.

This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates show in list but fail to install
>>> Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
>>> (*Downloaded; ready to install)


Downloaded;ready to install means just that. The updates have been
downloaded to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If the above does not apply, then post the version of Windows and the
last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log, located in the WINDOWS
directory [folder].


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Jim wrote:

> SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
> data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
> expected. Did windows update, list shows
> Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> (*Downloaded; ready to install)
>
> Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
> to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
> toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
> checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
>
> This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates show in list but fail to install
"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:536B9B74-81CF-45AB-A75A-3F66685F7105@microsoft.com...
> SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
> data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
> expected. Did windows update, list shows
> Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> (*Downloaded; ready to install)
>
> Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
> to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
> toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
> checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
>
> This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1



Are you on that beta test? Report this symptom and get help for it there.


---


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates show in list but fail to install
Not on Beta test, link to download was in a CNET/ ZDnet email newsletter I
receive.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:536B9B74-81CF-45AB-A75A-3F66685F7105@microsoft.com...
> > SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
> > data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
> > expected. Did windows update, list shows
> > Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> > (*Downloaded; ready to install)
> >
> > Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
> > to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
> > toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
> > checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
> >
> > This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1

>
>
> Are you on that beta test? Report this symptom and get help for it there.
>
>
> ---
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates show in list but fail to install
After downloading, updates a screen comes up with some updates were not
installed with list of updates

2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent Update
{DCD36D73-681A-4814-B2A6-462F554241FD}.103 is pruned out due to potential
supersedence
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{238493F6-6D43-4ECB-A4E9-EB63CA49EC87}.100 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{AEC363BC-50FF-4914-B8B8-54064539956E}.102 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{6A860D77-5A08-4821-AC62-B453B0411F6F}.103 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{8DC97D52-F840-44CA-84E4-4E4206C0DE36}.104 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{D1F84C75-F914-4FC7-94D5-446DC7987844}.101 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{7CE32D6A-A921-4D85-AA2A-E6ED3C5FB77D}.102 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Added update
{73F11106-7351-465D-9BA5-2881436C0D5A}.104 to search result
2007-12-15 15:41:57:406 1960 bd0 Agent * Found 91 updates and 32
categories in search; evaluated appl. rules of 926 out of 1330 deployed
entities
2007-12-15 15:41:57:421 1960 bd0 Agent *********
2007-12-15 15:41:57:421 1960 bd0 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:41:57:421 1960 bd0 Agent *************
2007-12-15 15:41:57:437 1960 bd0 Report REPORT EVENT:
{81AE5778-24A2-4A69-AC08-FE1A892ABDF2} 2007-12-15
15:41:18:359-0500 1 147 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 0 MicrosoftUpdate Success Software
Synchronization Windows Update Client successfully detected 0 updates.
2007-12-15 15:41:57:453 1892 974 COMAPI >>-- RESUMED -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:41:57:656 1892 974 COMAPI - Updates found = 91
2007-12-15 15:41:57:656 1892 974 COMAPI ---------
2007-12-15 15:41:57:656 1892 974 COMAPI -- END -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:41:57:656 1892 974 COMAPI -------------
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI -------------
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI -- START -- COMAPI: Install
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI ---------
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI - Allow source prompts: Yes;
Forced: No; Force quiet: No
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI - Updates in request: 1
2007-12-15 15:42:42:953 1892 134 COMAPI - ServiceID =
{7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}
2007-12-15 15:42:42:968 1892 134 COMAPI - Updates to install = 1
2007-12-15 15:42:42:968 1892 134 COMAPI <<-- SUBMITTED -- COMAPI: Install
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:42:42:984 1960 744 Agent *************
2007-12-15 15:42:42:984 1960 744 Agent ** START ** Agent: Installing
updates [CallerId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:42:42:984 1960 744 Agent *********
2007-12-15 15:42:42:984 1960 744 Agent * Updates to install = 1
2007-12-15 15:42:43:062 1960 744 Agent * Title = Analog Devices
Incorporated - Sound - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
2007-12-15 15:42:43:062 1960 744 Agent * UpdateId =
{5BB85A2A-67B0-43B6-92A5-62EB2DEC4D04}.100
2007-12-15 15:43:21:687 1960 744 Handler Attempting to create remote handler
process as HP-760N\James Barrett in session 0
2007-12-15 15:43:23:171 3832 6c4 Misc =========== Logging initialized
(build: 7.0.6000.381, tz: -0500) ===========
2007-12-15 15:43:23:171 3832 6c4 Misc = Process:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
2007-12-15 15:43:23:171 3832 6c4 AUClnt FATAL: Error: 0x80004002. wuauclt
handler: failed to spawn COM server
2007-12-15 15:43:23:437 1960 744 Handler FATAL: 0x80004002: ERROR: Remote
update handler container process created (PID: 3832), but exited before
signaling event
2007-12-15 15:43:23:437 1960 744 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x80004002
2007-12-15 15:43:23:437 1960 744 Agent *********
2007-12-15 15:43:23:453 1892 f1c COMAPI >>-- RESUMED -- COMAPI: Install
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:43:23:453 1892 f1c COMAPI - Install call failed
2007-12-15 15:43:23:453 1960 744 Agent ** END ** Agent: Installing
updates [CallerId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:43:23:453 1960 744 Agent *************
2007-12-15 15:43:23:453 1960 744 Agent WARNING: WU client failed installing
updates with error 0x80004002
2007-12-15 15:43:23:468 1892 f1c COMAPI - Reboot required = No
2007-12-15 15:43:23:468 1892 f1c COMAPI - WARNING: Exit code = 0x80240FFF;
Call error code = 0x80004002
2007-12-15 15:43:23:468 1892 f1c COMAPI ---------
2007-12-15 15:43:23:468 1892 f1c COMAPI -- END -- COMAPI: Install
[ClientId = MicrosoftUpdate]
2007-12-15 15:43:23:468 1892 f1c COMAPI -------------
2007-12-15 15:43:24:250 1892 134 COMAPI WARNING: Operation failed due to
earlier error, hr=80004002




"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> >>> Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> >>> (*Downloaded; ready to install)

>
> Downloaded;ready to install means just that. The updates have been
> downloaded to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
> Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> If the above does not apply, then post the version of Windows and the
> last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log, located in the WINDOWS
> directory [folder].
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> Jim wrote:
>
> > SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
> > data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
> > expected. Did windows update, list shows
> > Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> > (*Downloaded; ready to install)
> >
> > Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
> > to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
> > toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
> > checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
> >
> > This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007
Jim
 

Posts: n/a
Problem Resolved
After receiving your post and looking in the windowsupdate.log file I found
error messages. Did a google and it refrenced a post where you had helped
someone else with the same type problem. I created a batch file and
regestered the Dll files. Everything is fine now

Thanks
Jim

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4855f3e536&p=1




"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> >>> Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> >>> (*Downloaded; ready to install)

>
> Downloaded;ready to install means just that. The updates have been
> downloaded to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
> Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> If the above does not apply, then post the version of Windows and the
> last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log, located in the WINDOWS
> directory [folder].
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> Jim wrote:
>
> > SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
> > data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
> > expected. Did windows update, list shows
> > Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
> > (*Downloaded; ready to install)
> >
> > Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
> > to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
> > toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
> > checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
> >
> > This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem Resolved
You're welcome and nice work, Jim. Glad to hear the issue is resolved.
Happy Hollandaze <w> !

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============


Jim wrote:

> After receiving your post and looking in the windowsupdate.log file I found
> error messages. Did a google and it refrenced a post where you had helped
> someone else with the same type problem. I created a batch file and
> regestered the Dll files. Everything is fine now
>
> Thanks
> Jim
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...4855f3e536&p=1
>
>
>
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>>>>Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
>>>>>(*Downloaded; ready to install)

>>
>>Downloaded;ready to install means just that. The updates have been
>>downloaded to WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
>>
>>Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>>Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a
>>Windows XP installation
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>>
>>If the above does not apply, then post the version of Windows and the
>>last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log, located in the WINDOWS
>>directory [folder].
>>
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>
>>Jim wrote:
>>
>>
>>>SP2 version 2002. After doing a in place reinstall, software update to save
>>>data, windows reset to build date of install package on CD. This was
>>>expected. Did windows update, list shows
>>>Total: 87 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
>>>(*Downloaded; ready to install)
>>>
>>>Updates fail to install due to no file size. Something is causing the system
>>>to think the files are already downloaded but not installed. Followed
>>>toubleshooting DB instructions deleted catroot entries, temp files, and
>>>checked services. Installer 3.1 did install.
>>>
>>>This comes after a install and then uninstall of XP SP3 RC1

>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Updates are downloaded but fail to install Beny microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 01-06-2008 02:49
RE: automatic updates fail to install MADhase microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 12-12-2007 10:32
Updates fail to install once downloaded Nola Prncsgg microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-30-2007 03:39
Re: automatic updates fail to install torjy microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 11-29-2007 16:05
Windows xp updates fail to install Arnaud microsoft.public.windowsupdate 10 11-19-2007 01:52




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120