UPDATE to KB942615!

someguy469

UPDATE to KB942615!
It's a poorly written patch that screws up you IE6 browser. Uninstall it and
wait for MS to fix this mess before you update. Use Firefox!

Embalmed

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.

Registry information
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
the registry at your own risk.
After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
\FeatureControl\
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
then press ENTER.
5. Right-click
FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
New, and then click DWORD Value.
6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.

Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
use Appname.exe.
7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
9. Exit Registry Editor.
jcr46385

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
Hi Embalmed, it fix my problem: My post is one down "IE caused a problem and
is going to close: urlmon.dll" I had to add a (1) to value data instead (0)
now i'm going to reinstall XP Pro Sp3 RC1 6.00.2900.3244 (xpsp.071030-1535.
Thank You
jcr46385

Embalmed" wrote:

> Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
> under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
> hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.
>
> Registry information
> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
> problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
> Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
> the registry at your own risk.
> After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
> Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
> 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
> \FeatureControl\
> 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
> 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
> then press ENTER.
> 5. Right-click
> FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
> New, and then click DWORD Value.
> 6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
>
> Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
> Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
> application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
> application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
> use Appname.exe.
> 7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
> 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
> 9. Exit Registry Editor.

jc2424

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
This is fine for the onesy twosy's, but for a corporation this is not
practical. Microsoft needs to resolve this with another release. Luckly we
have test groups that catch this stuff before its pushed to our 10K+ clients.

thanks,
JC

"Embalmed" wrote:

> Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
> under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
> hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.
>
> Registry information
> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
> problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
> Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
> the registry at your own risk.
> After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
> Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
> 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
> \FeatureControl\
> 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
> 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
> then press ENTER.
> 5. Right-click
> FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
> New, and then click DWORD Value.
> 6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
>
> Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
> Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
> application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
> application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
> use Appname.exe.
> 7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
> 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
> 9. Exit Registry Editor.

jcr46385

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
I'm back to XP Pro Sp3 RC1 6.00.2900.3244 and no problems, and i reinstalled
(KB942615) patch and still no IE errors. Embalmed Fix holdup good!! Thanks

"jcr46385" wrote:

> Hi Embalmed, it fix my problem: My post is one down "IE caused a problem and
> is going to close: urlmon.dll" I had to add a (1) to value data instead (0)
> now i'm going to reinstall XP Pro Sp3 RC1 6.00.2900.3244 (xpsp.071030-1535.
> Thank You
> jcr46385
>
> Embalmed" wrote:
>
> > Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
> > under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
> > hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.
> >
> > Registry information
> > Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> > incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
> > problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
> > Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
> > the registry at your own risk.
> > After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
> > Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
> > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
> > 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
> > \FeatureControl\
> > 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
> > 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
> > then press ENTER.
> > 5. Right-click
> > FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
> > New, and then click DWORD Value.
> > 6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
> >
> > Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
> > Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
> > application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
> > application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
> > use Appname.exe.
> > 7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
> > 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
> > 9. Exit Registry Editor.

Learner

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
Thanks Embalmed for your input. However, please note that I noticed that
solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367 did work a couple of times
but then IE 6 crashes again. Sometimes I can access gmail.google.com three
times in a row but then I have the exact same error

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: urlmon.dll ModVer:
6.0.2900.3231 Offset: 0003b5ce

Daniel
_________________
"Embalmed" <mbstroz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
> under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
> hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.
>
> Registry information
> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
> incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
> problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
> Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
> the registry at your own risk.
> After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
> Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
> 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
> \FeatureControl\
> 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
> 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
> then press ENTER.
> 5. Right-click
> FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
> New, and then click DWORD Value.
> 6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
>
> Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
> Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
> application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
> application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
> use Appname.exe.
> 7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
> 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
> 9. Exit Registry Editor.

Learner

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
Oops! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367 is working, I forgot to change
the dword.

This is a good solution, thanks
Daniel
________________
"Learner" <cdnhermit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Embalmed for your input. However, please note that I noticed that
> solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367 did work a couple of times
> but then IE 6 crashes again. Sometimes I can access gmail.google.com
> three times in a row but then I have the exact same error
>
> AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: urlmon.dll ModVer:
> 6.0.2900.3231 Offset: 0003b5ce
>
> Daniel
> _________________
> "Embalmed" <mbstroz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Add this to your registry and it will fix the IE6 hack. It's posted
>> under http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367. I didn't install the
>> hotfix files, just the reg hack and it worked.
>>
>> Registry information
>> Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
>> incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
>> problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.
>> Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify
>> the registry at your own risk.
>> After you apply this hotfix, you must create and enable the
>> Iexplore.exe registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
>> 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
>> 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
>> \FeatureControl\
>> 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
>> 4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, and
>> then press ENTER.
>> 5. Right-click
>> FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB 942367, point to
>> New, and then click DWORD Value.
>> 6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.
>>
>> Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses
>> Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual
>> application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that
>> application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can
>> use Appname.exe.
>> 7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
>> 8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
>> 9. Exit Registry Editor.

ChrisA

Re: UPDATE to KB942615!
I found the same soution (reg hack without downloading the file)
worked for me.

I checked my version of URLMON.DLL and it appears to already be at the
version lised on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942367.