Sudden instability

Michel V

Sudden instability
Yesterday (Dec. 13) auto ran Norton Live Update and tried to update the
NVIDIA drivers. The latter did not work. Suddenly Vista became unstable,
showing messages that some microsoft programs stopped working. I ended up
with a blue screen error (memory dump). After restarting, both in safe mode
and normal mode, various times, it seemed to stablize somehow. Then I tried
to have the cumulative internet explorer important update downloaded and
installed but unsuccessful. Installation stopped at 96%. Still during
download/installation get sometimes the message that Microsoft Component
Installer stopped working.
I did uninstall norton, ensure windows security components are on and
working. But still I don't understand what happend and still have the
required update outstanding. Who can help?
Thanks.
realcestmoi

Re: Sudden instability
Hi there,

Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
Microsoft hardware.

If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper go
to the manufacturers website to look for an updatede driver.

If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.

If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
restore from the system backup you hopefully made.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Michel V" <MichelV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday (Dec. 13) auto ran Norton Live Update and tried to update the
> NVIDIA drivers. The latter did not work. Suddenly Vista became unstable,
> showing messages that some microsoft programs stopped working. I ended up
> with a blue screen error (memory dump). After restarting, both in safe
> mode
> and normal mode, various times, it seemed to stablize somehow. Then I
> tried
> to have the cumulative internet explorer important update downloaded and
> installed but unsuccessful. Installation stopped at 96%. Still during
> download/installation get sometimes the message that Microsoft Component
> Installer stopped working.
> I did uninstall norton, ensure windows security components are on and
> working. But still I don't understand what happend and still have the
> required update outstanding. Who can help?
> Thanks.

Michel V

Re: Sudden instability
realcestmoi, thanks. I did not take a driver from the windows update only the
normal windows update (patches). I tried to update my NVIDIA driver from the
NVIDIA website, so that should be ok.
So, the problem was not caused, in my view, from a wrong driver because I
used the official site for it.