ie6 quit working, can't update, can't get ie7

mrdancer

ie6 quit working, can't update, can't get ie7
My IE6 quit working a while back. Actually, it'll open up when I launch it,
but it launches two windows and neither one will work, they just keep
refreshing every few minutes.

My WindowsUpdate won't work either, since it uses IE as a conduit. I
installed Firefox to access the web, but I can't update Windows with
Firefox. Then I tried to download and install IE7 to see if that would
work, but it wouldn't install, said I need IE6?? I tried downloading IE6
updates, but when I try to install them, it says I don't have Admin Rights,
even though I'm logged on as Administrator.

I tried deleting History and Temp files in IE6. I tried adding "Everyone"
in the registry and giving full Admin Rights. Nothing seems to work to get
IE6, IE7 or WindowsUpdate to work.

Btw, I'm running WinXP Home SP2 (Build 2600, Ver. 5.1). I'm also running
OE6, sp2, and it works just fine. Firefox crashes everytime I open it for
the first time, but subsequent openings run fine. IE6 remains
non-functional. Even its icon on the Start Menu is gone, although it
remains in the QuickLaunch.

Any ideas? Can I download a standalone IE7 to try to install?

PA Bear

Re: ie6 quit working, can't update, can't get ie7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**