Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Update error 0x80072EFD - is there anything else I can do?

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2007
wpo
 

Posts: n/a
Update error 0x80072EFD - is there anything else I can do?
I have just lost whole day on solving this issue and my question is: is there
enything else I can do, except for shooting myself?

Since few days I'm not able to proceed with Windows Update further than
"Express" / "Custom" page. The error is 0x80072EFD, also while trying to
download some pathes manually I receive 0x80072EE2 error during genuine
validation. Microsoft Update is no different.

1. I went through standard Microsoft procedure described in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941.
2. Possibly every other non-standard procedure I could find on the net,
including clearing the registry from proxy-related, old-address-related
entries.
3. Reinstalled WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe with /wuforce, resulting in
msi.dll ver.3.1.4000.4042
4. Did as many reboots as I can remember in my whole lifetime, harassing my
clients.

My setup is:
Windows Server 2003 SP2 sitting right behind router, no proxy. Running only
IIS, (with ASP disabled). All critical updates installed till KB943460 (about
OCT 12, 2007). The IP address was changed few days later.
* good connectivity to all web sites
* no accelerating software
* no antivirus
* IE 7
* proxy OFF in both IE and by proxycfg
* Medium security in IE
* *.update.microsoft.com (and related) ALLOWED in Trusted Sites
* clean hosts file
* Windows Firewall OFF

Comparing IE add-ons on 2003 Server and my personal XP i found missing
"Windows Genuine Advantege" - should it be there?

Perhaps I missed something specific for Server 2003? Is it related to .NET,
IIS
Give me a clue!

Here comes my Windowsupdate.log:
2007-12-13 19:37:43:234 2324 92c COMAPI -- START -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:37:43:234 2324 92c COMAPI ---------
2007-12-13 19:37:43:234 2324 92c COMAPI <<-- SUBMITTED -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent *************
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent ** START ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent *********
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent * Online = Yes; Ignore download
priority = No
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent * Criteria = "IsInstalled=0 and
IsHidden=1"
2007-12-13 19:37:43:250 824 7a0 Agent * ServiceID =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
2007-12-13 19:37:44:515 824 7a0 Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-12-13 19:37:44:562 824 7a0 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-12-13 19:37:44:609 824 7a0 Misc Validating signature for
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77\wuredir.cab:
2007-12-13 19:37:44:609 824 7a0 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
2007-12-13 19:37:44:609 824 7a0 PT +++++++++++ PT: Synchronizing server
updates +++++++++++
2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT + ServiceId =
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL =
https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/...ce/client.asmx
2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT WARNING: Cached cookie has expired or
new PID is available
2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT WARNING: PTWarn: Anonymous plug-in
skipped for WU
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 Misc WARNING: Send failed with hr = 80072efd.
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 Misc WARNING: SendRequest failed with hr =
80072efd. Proxy List used: <(null)> Bypass List used : <(null)> Auth Schemes
used : <>
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT + Last proxy send request failed with
hr = 0x80072EFD, HTTP status code = 0
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT + Caller provided credentials = No
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT + Impersonate flags = 0
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT + Possible authorization schemes used =
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: GetCookie failure, error =
0x80072EFD, soap client error = 5, soap error code = 0, HTTP status code = 200
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: PTError: 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: GetCookie_WithRecovery failed :
0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: RefreshCookie failed: 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: RefreshPTState failed: 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 PT WARNING: SyncServerUpdatesInternal
failed: 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 Agent * WARNING: Failed to synchronize,
error = 0x80072EFD
2007-12-13 19:38:05:796 824 7a0 Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x80072EFD
2007-12-13 19:38:05:796 824 7a0 Agent *********
2007-12-13 19:38:05:796 824 7a0 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
[CallerId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:38:05:796 824 7a0 Agent *************
2007-12-13 19:38:05:796 824 7a0 Agent WARNING: WU client failed Searching
for update with error 0x80072efd
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI >>-- RESUMED -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI - Updates found = 0
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI - WARNING: Exit code = 0x00000000,
Result code = 0x80072EFD
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI ---------
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI -- END -- COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 950 COMAPI -------------
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 92c COMAPI WARNING: Operation failed due to
earlier error, hr=80072EFD
2007-12-13 19:38:05:828 2324 92c COMAPI FATAL: Unable to complete
asynchronous search. (hr=80072EFD)
2007-12-13 19:38:10:796 824 7a0 Report REPORT EVENT:
{DB5408E7-15C5-4814-A234-31F26AC88E61} 2007-12-13
19:38:05:796+0100 1 148 101 {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} 0 80072efd WindowsUpdate Failure Software
Synchronization Windows Update Client failed to detect with error 0x80072efd.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2007
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update error 0x80072EFD - is there anything else I can do?
"wpo" <wpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news91141F8-CBBC-4F31-AF59-0D72FD132C5B@microsoft.com...
>I have just lost whole day on solving this issue and my question is: is there
> enything else I can do, except for shooting myself?
>
> Since few days I'm not able to proceed with Windows Update further than
> "Express" / "Custom" page. The error is 0x80072EFD, also while trying to
> download some pathes manually I receive 0x80072EE2 error during genuine
> validation. Microsoft Update is no different.
>
> 1. I went through standard Microsoft procedure described in
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941.
> 2. Possibly every other non-standard procedure I could find on the net,
> including clearing the registry from proxy-related, old-address-related
> entries.
> 3. Reinstalled WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe with /wuforce, resulting in
> msi.dll ver.3.1.4000.4042
> 4. Did as many reboots as I can remember in my whole lifetime, harassing my
> clients.
>
> My setup is:
> Windows Server 2003 SP2 sitting right behind router, no proxy.



Your symptom is being caused by a problem in your connectivity.
What else can you tell us about that?


> Running only
> IIS, (with ASP disabled). All critical updates installed till KB943460 (about
> OCT 12, 2007). The IP address was changed few days later.
> * good connectivity to all web sites
> * no accelerating software
> * no antivirus
> * IE 7
> * proxy OFF in both IE and by proxycfg
> * Medium security in IE
> * *.update.microsoft.com (and related) ALLOWED in Trusted Sites
> * clean hosts file
> * Windows Firewall OFF



Leave it on but disable any third-party communications security.


>
> Comparing IE add-ons on 2003 Server and my personal XP i found missing
> "Windows Genuine Advantege" - should it be there?



I think you would be prompted to install it if you needed it to install
a particular update.


>
> Perhaps I missed something specific for Server 2003? Is it related to .NET,
> IIS
> Give me a clue!
>
> Here comes my Windowsupdate.log:


....
> 2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT + ServiceId =

{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}, Server URL =
https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/...ce/client.asmx
> 2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT WARNING: Cached cookie has expired or new PID is available
> 2007-12-13 19:37:44:625 824 7a0 PT WARNING: PTWarn: Anonymous plug-in skipped for WU
> 2007-12-13 19:38:05:703 824 7a0 Misc WARNING: Send failed with hr = 80072efd.



Unfortunately because the protocol is HTTPS it is difficult to get more diagnostics
for this symptom. Two things you could do to improve the details from these lines
is activate verbose logging (ref. KB902093) and Run... ProcMon to capture whatever
else is happening in terms of registry and file accesses which would help explain
all the messages. E.g. ProcMon's FileMon component would show you a WRITE
record which you could match with the timstamp and length of a WindowsUpdate.log
record and then any file and registry accesses between it and the previous such WRITE
could possibly be attributed to the production of that log record. However, for the
particular messages that I have highlighted the only extra insight I would anticipate
from that procedure would be more about the PTWarn message.

On a different tack I would try ignoring the HTTPS protocol prefix and just try
connecting the above URL with HTTP through Fiddler2. It would probably
try to redirect you immediately to HTTPS but the initial HTTP connection
request would have the same Cookie data sent with it. The most significant
point about such a test is that you would know at least whether you had any
connectivity with that server, whether to its port 443 or its port 80.
And you might get lucky. Fiddler2 tracks HTTPS requests and responses
so if your symptom reoccurred further into such an exchange you might get
more detailed clues that way. Note however, that Fiddler2 could present
a new symptom regarding a problem with certificates. I would ignore that
as being caused by having Fiddler2 in the middle of the secure session,
as documented in the Fiddler2 FAQ page.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
wpo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update error 0x80072EFD - is there anything else I can do?
Thank you for your reply.
Fiddler proved to be excellent tool. I fiddled down to suspicious CONNECT
request which could'nt be completed. It turned out that ... my network admin
has accidentally blocked 443 port at the router. I DID ask him twice about
ports. Shame.

On the other hand, WU error reporting could be more informative. Just a word
about HTTPS problem in WindowsUpdate.log would make things much easier.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2007
Robert Aldwinckle
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update error 0x80072EFD - is there anything else I can do?
"wpo" <wpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E38DF71D-7937-4582-BD05-37F06314C102@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your reply.
> Fiddler proved to be excellent tool. I fiddled down to suspicious CONNECT
> request which could'nt be completed. It turned out that ... my network admin
> has accidentally blocked 443 port at the router. I DID ask him twice about
> ports. Shame.
>


> On the other hand, WU error reporting could be more informative. Just a word
> about HTTPS problem in WindowsUpdate.log would make things much easier.



You're preaching to the choir on that one. ; }

Thanks for the feedback.


Robert
---


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
instAllshield update service update manager vista error requirespermission Nunya Beeswax microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 12 04-16-2009 03:03
Error number: 0x80072EFD The Hunter microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-23-2007 19:07
Error 0x80072efd Александр microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 11-06-2007 16:01
Windows Defender cannot update definitions code 0x80072efd Diana microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 5 08-08-2007 14:48
RE: Windows update error 80070103 - Beta 2 Vista NVIDIA Driver Update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIdW1waHJleXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 15:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:09.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120