Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7

JAZ

Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update. I
have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.

Thanks.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
*Strongly* suggest you contact MS for no charge support with this issue:

>> Support:
>> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
>> Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
>> associated with security updates.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

JAZ wrote:

> Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update. I
> have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
>
> Thanks.

PA Bear

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
Are you getting the error while installing the update or after you've
installed it?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

JAZ wrote:
> Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update.
> have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
>
> Thanks.

DenisAus

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
Is there a number for the rest of the world who have the same problem? The
update installs OK but when the restart is completed, the update history
states the update failed.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> *Strongly* suggest you contact MS for no charge support with this issue:
> >
> >> Support:
> >> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
> >> Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
> >> associated with security updates.

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> JAZ wrote:
>
> > Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update. I
> > have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
> >
> > Thanks.

Robert Aldwinckle

"DenisAus" <DenisAus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a number for the rest of the world who have the same problem? The
> update installs OK but when the restart is completed, the update history
> states the update failed.

Please describe your symptoms more precisely (and perhaps start a new
thread if they are significantly different from the OP's, as vague as that
symptom description is.)

Are you doing the update manually? If so, be aware that the WU/AU log
will not change. Hence, a manual update would explain your symptoms.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> *Strongly* suggest you contact MS for no charge support with this issue:

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> JAZ wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update. I
>> > have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Willem Overbeeke

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
I have had the same problem (still unresolved). I am using MS Update. The
problem first occurred during the automatic update, then was reproduced on
every manual attempt after that.

The patch is downloaded OK.
The patch is installed OK, and appears as "pending" in the installed updates
log.
Then a system shutdown/reboot is necessary to complete the installation
I do get the normal update messages during shutdown and startup
Then, in the new session I get the üpdate failed"message with the error code
800719E4, and the log file entry: Windows Servicing failed to complete the
process of changing update xxxx (did not note the exact module) from package
KB942615 into Staging(Staging) state.

I advised MS about a week ago, and got an initial reply requesting a cleanup
of the status and log files, which I did to no avail. After that: absolute
radio silence, despite several reminders.

So I hope a reader of this forum may come up with further suggestions

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Are you getting the error while installing the update or after you've
> installed it?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>
> JAZ wrote:
> > Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update.
> > have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
> >
> > Thanks.

Willem Overbeeke

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
Sorry, further to my earlier reply. Till now I had tried to redo the update
using MS Update for the purpose, which, of course finds 1 update to install
(this one), does the download/update, then comes up with the same error at
the end. Just now I tried a dedicated manual update of the VISTA version of
KB942615 from a MS manual update site. That went OK, the patch is now well
and truly installed (and, I am happy to say, IE7 is still working). So I can
advise other readers to try the same.

One remaining question: over the past week, to avoid the update process to
retry and install the erroneous update every day I had "hidden" the original
update. After the successful manual update I "unhid" the original update, but
now it is scheduled for download once more (i.e. the update manager does not
seem to recognise from the outset that the update is installed already). I
want to avoid reinstalling it and thereby possibly breaking again what I just
fixed. Can anybody tell me if MS Update will duly recognise that the fix has
been installed already, before reinstalling it, thereby clearing the "hidden"
item, or if there is another way of clearing it manually. For the sake of
clarity I would like to "clean-out" my hidden updates list, because a year
down the road I my not have all the details at my fingertips any more.

Regards

"Willem Overbeeke" wrote:

> I have had the same problem (still unresolved). I am using MS Update. The
> problem first occurred during the automatic update, then was reproduced on
> every manual attempt after that.
>
> The patch is downloaded OK.
> The patch is installed OK, and appears as "pending" in the installed updates
> log.
> Then a system shutdown/reboot is necessary to complete the installation
> I do get the normal update messages during shutdown and startup
> Then, in the new session I get the üpdate failed"message with the error code
> 800719E4, and the log file entry: Windows Servicing failed to complete the
> process of changing update xxxx (did not note the exact module) from package
> KB942615 into Staging(Staging) state.
>
> I advised MS about a week ago, and got an initial reply requesting a cleanup
> of the status and log files, which I did to no avail. After that: absolute
> radio silence, despite several reminders.
>
> So I hope a reader of this forum may come up with further suggestions
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Are you getting the error while installing the update or after you've
> > installed it?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
> >
> > JAZ wrote:
> > > Hi, I get an error code 800719E4 everytime I try to install this update.
> > > have Windows Vista Premium with IE7.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

PA Bear

Re: Problems installing update KB942615 on IE7
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

Willem Overbeeke wrote:
> [...]
>> I do get the normal update messages during shutdown and startup
>> Then, in the new session I get the üpdate failed"message with the error
>> code 800719E4, and the log file entry: Windows Servicing failed to
>> complete the process of changing update xxxx (did not note the exact
>> module) from package KB942615 into Staging(Staging) state.
>>
>> I advised MS about a week ago, and got an initial reply requesting a
>> cleanup of the status and log files, which I did to no avail. After that:
>> absolute radio silence, despite several reminders.
>>
>> So I hope a reader of this forum may come up with further suggestions
>>
>> "PA Bear" wrote:
>>
>>> Are you getting the error while installing the update or after you've
>>> installed it?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)

Robert Aldwinckle

"Willem Overbeeke" <WillemOverbeeke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, further to my earlier reply. Till now I had tried to redo the update
> using MS Update for the purpose, which, of course finds 1 update to install
> (this one), does the download/update, then comes up with the same error at
> the end. Just now I tried a dedicated manual update of the VISTA version of
> KB942615 from a MS manual update site. That went OK, the patch is now well
> and truly installed (and, I am happy to say, IE7 is still working). So I can
> advise other readers to try the same.
>
> One remaining question: over the past week, to avoid the update process to
> retry and install the erroneous update every day I had "hidden" the original
> update. After the successful manual update I "unhid" the original update, but
> now it is scheduled for download once more

> (i.e. the update manager does not seem to recognise from the outset
> that the update is installed already).

What proof do you have that it is fully installed? Did you check the versions
of *all* the modules it is supposed to install? Verify that the registry values
it wants to update were updated?

> I want to avoid reinstalling it and thereby possibly breaking again what I just
> fixed. Can anybody tell me if MS Update will duly recognise that the fix has
> been installed already, before reinstalling it, thereby clearing the "hidden"
> item, or if there is another way of clearing it manually.

Is this something that was previously downloaded and is now being executed?
If not I would let it go because it means that there is still some aspect of the
update which has not been completed. If it was previously downloaded and
has just been sitting there waiting to install while you were doing a manual update
I suppose by using the Custom Install to decline it you might get the
effect of deleting the download, never to see it again but I haven't tested
that scenario myself. BTW I'm not even certain if declined installs are still
deleted. I just know that that was once the case. Again, you would have to
get a report from someone who has tried that more recently to have a better
idea of how that scenario works now.

Also, if you really want to know what the update is doing (or trying to do
but being prevented from doing, etc.) you could run ProcMon to capture
the file and registry accesses the update is making (including the writes
to its logs) and hence supplement its log messages by interleaving records
of those other accesses with records of when those writes were done.
Usually I find such diagnostics superior to even the verbose logging that
an update allows, which is only available when done manually.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---