Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615

Max

Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615
Dear readers,

Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically make
internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
Any suggestions??
I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615
Max wrote:

> Dear readers,
>
> Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically make
> internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
> starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
> making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
> Any suggestions??
> I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?

YES, it is a Critical Security update for IE. *Strongly* suggest you
contact MS for no charge support with this issue :

> Support:
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
> Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
> associated with security updates.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Max

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB9426
Thanks MowGreen ,

I live in Europe, is there an email address or phonenumber to contact MS?

Thx, Max.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Max wrote:
>
> > Dear readers,
> >
> > Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically make
> > internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
> > starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
> > making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
> > Any suggestions??
> > I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?

> YES, it is a Critical Security update for IE. *Strongly* suggest you
> contact MS for no charge support with this issue :
>
> > Support:
> > • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product
> > Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
> > associated with security updates.

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

PA Bear

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB942615
942615 is a critical security update.

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Max wrote:
> Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically
> make
> internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
> starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
> making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
> Any suggestions??
> I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?

Max

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB9426
I will try it mr Bear! Though, I got no error message "Webpage cannot be
displayed". As said, both IE7 & Outl Expr freeze and make no connection.
After removal of 942615 all works fine again.

Max.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> 942615 is a critical security update.
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
> an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
> Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
> category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
> additional security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> firewall.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>

> Max wrote:
> > Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically
> > make
> > internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
> > starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
> > making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
> > Any suggestions??
> > I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?

Max

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB9426
I did it mr Bear and obviously it works. Another issue arises when I look in
the Windows directory:
In the Windows directory I see the directory 'ie7' in BLUE letters; what
does this mean?? Normally blue letters mean the file is compressed.
Another Windows directory 'ie7updates', contains the files KB938127-IE7,
KB939653-IE7, KB942615-IE7 (latest updates), all 3 are in BLUE letters; this
means I can remove them?? Normally the update/uninstall files are between
$....$ signs, which means they may be removed. This is confusing me.

My God, what is Windows a hassle!!! Since Win95 you have countless hassles,
patches, servicepacks & updates; why not an OS that works smoothly like Apple
OS's!? 95% of the world works with Windows, it's time they do their job
properly instead of forcing us to upgrade & pay lots of money each time!!
Vista seems to be even worse!! I don't bother buying it before all flaws are
ironed out!

Max.
============
"Max" wrote:

> I will try it mr Bear! Though, I got no error message "Webpage cannot be
> displayed". As said, both IE7 & Outl Expr freeze and make no connection.
> After removal of 942615 all works fine again.
>
> Max.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > 942615 is a critical security update.
> >
> > Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> > Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> >
> > If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> > following:
> >
> > 1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
> > an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
> > Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
> > third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.
> >
> > NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> > browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> > application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> > may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
> >
> > 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB942615)"
> > via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> > and reboot.
> >
> > 3. Re-do #1 above.
> >
> > 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
> > offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
> > category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
> > additional security.
> >
> > 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> > applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
> > firewall.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
> >

> > Max wrote:
> > > Normally I have IE7 & Outl Expr configured such that they automatically
> > > make
> > > internet connection. After installing KB942615 they both freeze after
> > > starting, unless I am already online. They freeze instead of automatically
> > > making internet connection. After removal of KB942615 all is working fine.
> > > Any suggestions??
> > > I'm the only user & administrator of this PC, is KB942615 that critical?

PA Bear

Re: Problem with Cumulative Security Upd for Internet Expl7 KB9426
What you describe is normal. Don't worry about it.

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader: