Problem installing KB938371

Searinox

Problem installing KB938371
I was interested in trying out SP1. I installed the little registry tweak and
then ran Windows Update. I was offered a 4MB update which was apparently
required prior to installing Vista SP1. It downloaded and installed. Then I
had to reboot. As the computer shut down it got stuck. It got to "configuring
updates" and then after several minutes any disk activity, and CPU activity(I
know that because my CPU cooler gets noisy when it's working) stopped. The
little circle was still spinning, indicating that the system hadn't frozen.
However, it remained like that for the next half an hour.

I pressed the reset button on my case. The computer booted up and as it
entered Windows I got a tray icon saying the OS could not connect to the
Event Service. The computer began working hard. As I checked Installed
Updates it said KB938371 was pending. Then it shut down and rebooted a few
mins later. As it entered Windows I got the same tray balloon pop-up. Then I
checked the update and it said "failed". On the next reboot I got a boot
error saying something about winload.exe. I inserted the Vista DVD and
repaired the issue.

The error in the tray went away. I attempted installing the package again.
This time it didn't freeze at shutdown but after a restart I got the same
tray error. After the second restart I saw the update had failed again. Again
after a restart I got the winload.exe error. Fixed it again. The fail code is
80004005 which AFAIK means "unspecified error"... nice one. All my other
updates this Tuesday installed correctly except the DST one, KB942763, which
failed with error code 80070643 that I don't know what it means. I've never
had problems with Windows Update before...
IamstartingtohateVISTA

RE: Problem installing KB938371
I got the same problem. I cannot restore Vista back prior to the start of
that poor designed VISTA sp1 update. Now how do we get the KB938371 from
pending to successful. Would like to be able to get updates as well as finish
the SP1 update. I did follow the instructions from MS which required
KB935509, KB937287, and KB938371 to be installed first. I used the small
program which activated windows update to go look for the updates. That went
well. The SP installed did not and was left with the pending issue.