Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?

tedt_00

Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
Downloaded and tried to install a bunch of updates tonight - all failed with
this same error code 0x87FFD640 - anyone know what it is? Can't find any
documentation on it.
PA Bear

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was 0x87FFD640?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

tedt_00 wrote:
> Downloaded and tried to install a bunch of updates tonight - all failed
> with
> this same error code 0x87FFD640 - anyone know what it is? Can't find any
> documentation on it.

tedt_00

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.

I've XP Home, SP2.

Here are the updates:
KB944653
KB942615
KB941569
KB941568
KB942840
KB942763

Thanks, Ted.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was 0x87FFD640?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>
> tedt_00 wrote:
> > Downloaded and tried to install a bunch of updates tonight - all failed
> > with
> > this same error code 0x87FFD640 - anyone know what it is? Can't find any
> > documentation on it.

PA Bear

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
Thank you. I can find *nothing* anywhere about that error code, Ted. I'd
strongly recommend that you...

Please let us know the outcome.

===================================
Support for Windows Update:

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).

In other countries, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
for localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
visit the International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

tedt_00 wrote:
> Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.
>
> I've XP Home, SP2.
>
> Here are the updates:
> KB944653
> KB942615
> KB941569
> KB941568
> KB942840
> KB942763
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was 0x87FFD640?
>> --
>> tedt_00 wrote:
>>> Downloaded and tried to install a bunch of updates tonight - all failed
>>> with
>>> this same error code 0x87FFD640 - anyone know what it is? Can't find
>>> any
>>> documentation on it.

Charlietoo

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Thank you. I can find *nothing* anywhere about that error code, Ted. I'd
> strongly recommend that you...

> Please let us know the outcome.
>
> ===================================
> Support for Windows Update:
>
> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
> support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
> update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).
>
> In other countries, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
> Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
> for localized contact information.
>
> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
> visit the International Support Web site:
> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
>
> tedt_00 wrote:
> > Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.
> >
> > I've XP Home, SP2.
> >
> > Here are the updates:
> > KB944653
> > KB942615
> > KB941569
> > KB941568
> > KB942840
> > KB942763
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >> Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was 0x87FFD640?

Charlietoo

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
Just wanted to say I am having the same problem. I have a dell inspron 8200
running Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600. I had problems with
windows update instillation files failing to install. All had the 0x87ffd640
error except KB892130 that had 0x87ff4940...I tried uninstalling the
downloads and ended up with several more errors. here are the last downloads
that failed:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB937894)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in the Microsoft Message Queuing
Service that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system
and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Details...

Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Installing this update enables your computer to automatically adjust the
computer clock on the correct date in 2007 and 2008 due to revised Daylight
Saving Time laws in many countries. After you install this item, you may have
to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB941569)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Windows Media file
formats and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by
installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may
have to restart your computer. Details...

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB942615)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You
can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After
you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
A security issue has been identified in the Macrovision Driver that could

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Thank you. I can find *nothing* anywhere about that error code, Ted. I'd
> strongly recommend that you...

> Please let us know the outcome.
>
> ===================================
> Support for Windows Update:
>
> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
> support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
> update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).
>
> In other countries, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
> Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
> for localized contact information.
>
> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
> visit the International Support Web site:
> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
>
> tedt_00 wrote:
> > Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.
> >
> > I've XP Home, SP2.
> >
> > Here are the updates:
> > KB944653
> > KB942615
> > KB941569
> > KB941568
> > KB942840
> > KB942763
> >
> > "PA Bear" wrote:
> >> Windows version? What updates? Are you /sure/ the error was 0x87FFD640?

PA Bear

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
You, too, can start a free Windows Update support incident!
--
~PA Bear

Charlietoo wrote:
> [...]
>> for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you
>> call,
>> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite
>> the update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).
>>
>> In other countries, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
>> Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
>> for localized contact information.
>>
>> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
>> visit the International Support Web site:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
>>
>> tedt_00 wrote:
>>> Yes, reviewing update history, it's definitely 0x87FFD640.

>>> KB942615
>>> KB941569
>>> KB941568
>>> KB942840
>>> KB942763

Charlietoo

Re: Error Code: 0x87FFD640 - any ideas?
O.K. got busy and uninstalled Norton anti virus and checked to see if live
update worked in "system works" it did. Reinstalled Norton anti virus,
updated and everything worked....problem solved.
Had found Trojan using Counterspy and removed:
Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Xorpix.Fam Backdoor more information...
Details: Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Xorpix.Fam is a family of trojans that allow a
remote attacker to control the infected machine and use it to direct traffic
to the internet without the user's knowledge.
I had cleared this before I found a work around for the problem by
reinstalling
Hope this may help someone.

Files detected
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\Settings\config.ini
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS\Settings\ivn4.dll