Re: KB942615 and IE6 SP1

PA Bear

Re: KB942615 and IE6 SP1
X-post to Windows Update newsgroup

What anti-virus application, anti-spyware application(s), and/or third-party
firewalls might all of these machines have in common?
===============================
Give the following a try:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows XP (KB942615)" via Add/Remove
Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right) and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. Do NOT install IE7; please "hide" it, if offered.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Rui wrote:
> I have 11 machines with Windows XP SP2 and IE 6 SP1. Yesterday I ran
> Windows
> Update on these machines and today they have all been getting error
> messages
> where IE crashes referring to urlmon.dll.
>
> When I uninstall KB942615 patch everything goes back to normal. The web
> site
> that is guaranteed to make the browser crash is gmail.com.
>
> Would someone who has MS's ear's please let them know that there is a
> problem.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB942615 and IE6 SP1
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> schrieb:
> Rui wrote:
>> I have 11 machines with Windows XP SP2 and IE 6 SP1.

Huh, there's no IE 6 SP1 running in Windows XP SP2.

>> Yesterday I ran Windows
>> Update on these machines and today they have all been getting error
>> messages
>> where IE crashes referring to urlmon.dll.

See also
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...GP06.phx .gbl

Bye,
Freudi
C2Ranches

Re: KB942615 and IE6 SP1
I have 933 machines I am responsible for patching. This patch has been a
nightmare, and I have finally stopped pushing it. About 60% of the machines
it has installed on are ok. The other 40% have had the IE crashing issue. The
only commonalities in the machines are IE 6 Sp1 and Windows XP SP2. They vary
from dot net 1.1 to dot net 3.0 with sp1. Installing IE 7 fixes the issue,
but we are not ready to do that. I still have 300 machines that need this
patch and have not yet gotten to the end of users who are still crashing. To
run around to hundreds of machines and disable virus software and firewalls
is not a solution we would even consider. However, stopping the patch is. Yes
we tested the patches before pushing then organization wide, and the test
machines had no problems. We have tried clearing all the caches and temp
files to no avail. Uninstalling KB942615 does work. I think Microsoft
should test these patches on ALL of their employee’s machines for a month
before they even consider going public. I dread patch Tuesday every month and
wonder how much further our IT department is going to be put behind because
of pathces.