I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007

kathy@traveldoor.com

I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007
I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, and I
have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet Explorer
7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails, as I
am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.

Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related, which
must be saved. Thank you.
kathy@traveldoor.com

RE: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007 - P.S.
P.S.

Wanted to clarify - my email is through OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0. I believe I
DO have Microsoft Explorer 7.0.

"kathy@traveldoor.com" wrote:

> I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
> emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, and I
> have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet Explorer
> 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails, as I
> am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
>
> Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
> BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related, which
> must be saved. Thank you.

Alan

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007
Hello Kathy,

Just a thought: I know that with this set of updates a restart of your PC
was required.

Do you have more than one user who uses that machine? For example, when the
machine boots up do you select a particular name from a choice of two or
more?

If you booted up using some name rather than the one that YOU usually use,
the emails in your Inbox will be different.

Alan

"kathy@traveldoor.com" <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...
>I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
> emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0,
> and I
> have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
> Explorer
> 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails,
> as I
> am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
>
> Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
> BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related,
> which
> must be saved. Thank you.

kathy@traveldoor.com

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007
Alan....

I have rebooted so many times today, but I did just again restart my
computer - and I am still missing all emails January 26, 2006 onward (almost
2 years worth). I am the only one that signs on, and I did verify it was
signed in correctly under my name.

Any other ideas from you or any of the readers would be greatly
appreciated. I have a VAIO Sony computer I purchased May 2003. I have never
used a "recovery disk" - is this a time I should do it, do you think?

"Alan" wrote:

> Hello Kathy,
>
> Just a thought: I know that with this set of updates a restart of your PC
> was required.
>
> Do you have more than one user who uses that machine? For example, when the
> machine boots up do you select a particular name from a choice of two or
> more?
>
> If you booted up using some name rather than the one that YOU usually use,
> the emails in your Inbox will be different.
>
> Alan
>
> "kathy@traveldoor.com" <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...
> >I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
> > emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0,
> > and I
> > have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
> > Explorer
> > 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails,
> > as I
> > am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
> >
> > Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
> > BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related,
> > which
> > must be saved. Thank you.

kathy@traveldoor.com

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007 - P.P.S.
Hi Alan, and anyone else reading this thread....

To make things even stranger - ALL emails in my SENT box are STILL THERE
- December 12, 2007 back to May, 2003. So, whatever glitch/problem seems to
be with my IN box only, where the last 2 years have been lost. Help!!

"Kathy G"

"kathy@traveldoor.com" wrote:

> Alan....
>
> I have rebooted so many times today, but I did just again restart my
> computer - and I am still missing all emails January 26, 2006 onward (almost
> 2 years worth). I am the only one that signs on, and I did verify it was
> signed in correctly under my name.
>
> Any other ideas from you or any of the readers would be greatly
> appreciated. I have a VAIO Sony computer I purchased May 2003. I have never
> used a "recovery disk" - is this a time I should do it, do you think?
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
> > Hello Kathy,
> >
> > Just a thought: I know that with this set of updates a restart of your PC
> > was required.
> >
> > Do you have more than one user who uses that machine? For example, when the
> > machine boots up do you select a particular name from a choice of two or
> > more?
> >
> > If you booted up using some name rather than the one that YOU usually use,
> > the emails in your Inbox will be different.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > "kathy@traveldoor.com" <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote in message newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...
> > >I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
> > > emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0,
> > > and I
> > > have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
> > > Explorer
> > > 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails,
> > > as I
> > > am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
> > >
> > > Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
> > > BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related,
> > > which
> > > must be saved. Thank you.

Bert

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007

"kathy@traveldoor.com" <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...
>I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all INBOX
> emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0,
> and I
> have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
> Explorer
> 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails,
> as I
> am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
>
> Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my IN
> BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related,
> which
> must be saved. Thank you.

You don't have a recent backup of your e-mails / data?

Gerry

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007
Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings
and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is
checked and "Hide protected operating system files " is unchecked. You
may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make
certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is
not checked. Next in Windows Explorer make sure View, Details is
selected and then select View, Choose Details and check before Name,
Type, Total Size, and Free Space.

In Windows Explorer using the file path obtained earlier locate
Inbox.dbx and any variants.Note their size and date / time stamp. The
original inbox will appear as inbox. dbx. The next as inbox (01) dbx,
then inbox (02) dbx etc. The file extension can also appear as .dbt i.e.
a temporary folder. Please let us know what you find.

Now check your Recycle Bin. Is there an inbox.bak there? If there is an
inbox.bak in your Eecycle Bin DO NOT empty it!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kathy@traveldoor.com wrote:
> Alan....
>
> I have rebooted so many times today, but I did just again restart my
> computer - and I am still missing all emails January 26, 2006 onward
> (almost 2 years worth). I am the only one that signs on, and I did
> verify it was signed in correctly under my name.
>
> Any other ideas from you or any of the readers would be greatly
> appreciated. I have a VAIO Sony computer I purchased May 2003. I
> have never used a "recovery disk" - is this a time I should do it, do
> you think?
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
>> Hello Kathy,
>>
>> Just a thought: I know that with this set of updates a restart of
>> your PC was required.
>>
>> Do you have more than one user who uses that machine? For example,
>> when the machine boots up do you select a particular name from a
>> choice of two or more?
>>
>> If you booted up using some name rather than the one that YOU
>> usually use, the emails in your Inbox will be different.
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> "kathy@traveldoor.com"
>> <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...
>>> I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost
>>> all INBOX emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet
>>> Explorer 6.0, and I
>>> have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my
>>> emails, as I
>>> am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
>>>
>>> Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails
>>> from my IN BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these
>>> are work related, which
>>> must be saved. Thank you.

PA Bear

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007 - P.S.
Installing the updates had nothing to do with this.

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...s.htm#mailgone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovering the missing data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx (#2 and #4)
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918069 (Notes section under
Resolution)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoiding Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

kathy@traveldoor.com wrote:
> P.S.
>
> Wanted to clarify - my email is through OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6.0. I believe
> DO have Microsoft Explorer 7.0.
>
> "kathy@traveldoor.com" wrote:
>
>> I uploaded 6 (SIX) Microsoft updates this morning, and have lost all
>> INBOX
>> emails after January 24, 2006. I use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0,
>> and I have the Microsoft XP. I THINK one of the updates was for Internet
>> Explorer
>> 7.0 - wonder if that is the glitch that got rid of so much of my emails,
>> as I am still using Internet Explorer 6.0.
>>
>> Please advise if it is possible to get back all the lost emails from my
>> IN
>> BOX. Those emails are very important to me, as these are work related,
>> which must be saved. Thank you.

Gerry

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007 - P.P.S.
Kathy

Don't empty your recyle bin. Read my earlier post.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kathy@traveldoor.com wrote:
> Hi Alan, and anyone else reading this thread....
>
> To make things even stranger - ALL emails in my SENT box are STILL
> THERE - December 12, 2007 back to May, 2003. So, whatever
> glitch/problem seems to be with my IN box only, where the last 2
> years have been lost. Help!!
>
> "Kathy G"
>
> "kathy@traveldoor.com" wrote:
>
>> Alan....
>>
>> I have rebooted so many times today, but I did just again restart
>> my computer - and I am still missing all emails January 26, 2006
>> onward (almost 2 years worth). I am the only one that signs on, and
>> I did verify it was signed in correctly under my name.
>>
>> Any other ideas from you or any of the readers would be greatly
>> appreciated. I have a VAIO Sony computer I purchased May 2003. I
>> have never used a "recovery disk" - is this a time I should do it,
>> do you think?
>>
>> "Alan" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Kathy,
>>>
>>> Just a thought: I know that with this set of updates a restart of
>>> your PC was required.
>>>
>>> Do you have more than one user who uses that machine? For example,
>>> when the machine boots up do you select a particular name from a
>>> choice of two or more?
>>>
>>> If you booted up using some name rather than the one that YOU
>>> usually use, the emails in your Inbox will be different.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>
>>> "kathy@traveldoor.com"
>>> <kathy@traveldoor.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> newsBAEB9B2-BEAE-4AEC-A420-624136927018@microsoft.com...

kathy@traveldoor.com

Re: I lost emails from Jan 25,2006 through Dec 12, 2007
To Gerry and Pa Bear.....

I must admit I am completely lost. I THOUGHT I downloaded a "fix" - but
I still cannot get back my email from Jan 24, 2006 through Dec 12, 2007.
Yes, I admit it was a verrry large file. I still do have the data in Recycle
Box - as inbox.bak.

Could one of you email me directly with info of what I need to do.
Gerry...I did follow all your directions from 1st paragraph below. Got lost
in reading your 2nd paragraph, so did not proceed. Sooo...I DO need some
more help.

I have a very large SENT box as well (still intact); if necessary, I can
try to weed through it, to get some more space.

"Kathy G"
kathy@traveldoor.com (this is my email address)