Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Restart options

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2007
Bryan
 

Posts: n/a
Restart options
How do I control when Automatic updates restarts my computer?

Last night I setup an online backup that would take some time to complete
and then went to bed.. When I woke up this morning, Windows fancy, super
cool, more important than oxygen, automatic update feature had decided to
restart my PC right in the middle of the backup... one hour after I went to
bed.

Now I thought that the Windows Update tool was more user considerate than
that and would wait to install the updates once the user restarted.

I should have known better. After all we're dealing with Microsoft here.


So that begs the question.. How do I prevent this almighty tool from doing
this in the future?

This is the 1st time I've allowed Microsoft to use Automatic Updates on my
PC. This is a brand new PC with Vista so I thought that I would go the way
of the future and TRUST that Microsoft wouldn't screw me in the process.
Again, looks like I was wrong..

I can promise this.. If this happens once more then I'm done with
Automatic Updates and as soon as another platform comes around that's
feasible and opens it's software licensing to allow users to build their
own computers, I'll be a switching!

Windows Vista = The ME edition of the NT code base.. Musch like the
original ME, this one is much worse.

Bryan
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2007
Alias
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Restart options
Bryan wrote:

>
> I can promise this.. If this happens once more then I'm done with
> Automatic Updates and as soon as another platform comes around that's
> feasible and opens it's software licensing to allow users to build their
> own computers, I'll be a switching!


>
> Bryan


Check out www.ubuntu.com. No licensing, no activation, no becoming
"genuine", no rebooting after updates or installations unless it's the
kernel and it never reboots automatically. It comes with over 23,000
free programs and is free itself. They will even pay the postage to send
you a CD or you can download it and burn it to a CD yourself.

Alias
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2007
Mike Harris
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Restart options
Use the "Automatic Updates" Control Panel to configure it to work the way you
want. (Automatic Updates may be under a category in the Vista Control Panel,
but I don't know since I don't run Vista.) You could choose "Download
updates for me, but let me decide when to install them."

"Bryan" wrote:

> How do I control when Automatic updates restarts my computer?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2007
Gis Bun
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Restart options


"Alias" wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
>
> >
> > I can promise this.. If this happens once more then I'm done with
> > Automatic Updates and as soon as another platform comes around that's
> > feasible and opens it's software licensing to allow users to build their
> > own computers, I'll be a switching!

>
> >
> > Bryan

>
> Check out www.ubuntu.com. No licensing, no activation, no becoming
> "genuine", no rebooting after updates or installations unless it's the
> kernel and it never reboots automatically. It comes with over 23,000
> free programs and is free itself. They will even pay the postage to send
> you a CD or you can download it and burn it to a CD yourself.
>
> Alias


Thank you for the advertising..... Not.

Lets not forget... It's Linux? Not all drivers are made for it. Not as many
programs to choose from that run on it.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changes not kept after restart shartlesville microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 6 01-07-2008 00:55
Article ID: 933619 The settings for a Windows SideShow-compatible device appear to be incorrect after you restart Windows Vista or after you restart the device KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Can't restart Bill microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 10-16-2007 16:48
Is a restart a clean restart Extracampine microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-31-2007 16:58
IEUser restart through Restart Manager works but... jgomezb@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 03-14-2007 18:55




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120