WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly

Bill Drake

WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.

Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.

The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.

Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
not an acceptable solution.

I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.

I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.

As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
the problem described above to occur.

For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.

Best I can do for now. <tm>

Bill

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
"Bill Drake" <bdrake@telus.net> schrieb:

> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>
> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.

Mentioning an error in iexplore.exe in association with "urlmon.dll"?

If true, *and* in case you've installed a Java-VM from Sun, please
check via "Tools -> Manage AddOns" that all three(!) AddOns present
for the Sun Java-VM are activated. In case one of these is deactivated,
activate that one, shut down all IE windows and see if that fixes the
problem after a restart of IE. I've ran into that issue on one of my
(virtual and physical) machines and that fixed the issue without having
to reboot Windows itself.

Bye,
Freudi
Andre

RE: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
I always reboot after updates whether specified in the up date or not,
because I do manual updates....and my problems started after I cleaned the
cache. I tried the usual fixes first with my machine, but went directly to
unistall on my wife's PC after of course trying it to see if it would react
the same way as mine first and it did.

"Bill Drake" wrote:

> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>
> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
> I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
> tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.
>
> The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
> which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.
>
> Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
> blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
> not an acceptable solution.
>
> I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
> and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
> correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.
>

> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
> and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
> a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.
>
> As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
> to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
> the problem described above to occur.
>
> For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
> opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
> KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
> default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.
>

> Best I can do for now. <tm>
>

> Bill

whomike

RE: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
Bill--
I am having a problem-- "please try moving to a blank page"--
I do not have a shortcut to any blank page on my desktop and I cannot enter
"about-blank" in the url line while the "IE has encountered an error and must
close" box is showing on the re-launch of IE after the update.
Any ideas of how to get a blank page before the update?
Thanks--Mike

"Bill Drake" wrote:

> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>
> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
> I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
> tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.
>
> The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
> which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.
>
> Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
> blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
> not an acceptable solution.
>
> I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
> and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
> correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.
>

> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
> and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
> a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.
>
> As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
> to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
> the problem described above to occur.
>
> For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
> opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
> KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
> default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.
>

> Best I can do for now. <tm>
>

> Bill

Bill Drake

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
Hi, Mike. I find that I've just got to be stubborn and keep restarting
IE6 until I finally get a valid start. It sometimes takes as many as
6 or 8 tries in a row before the timing-error that causes the problem
does not occur.

If your IE6 is utterly and completely reliable in its failure-to-start,
then you'll have to remove the update (which will allow IE6 to start
properly) and then go in and change your default homepage to
a blank page.

Then try reinstalling the update. Open and close IE6 about ten
times after reinstalling to confirm that IE6 is stable with a blank
opening page - and then reset your opening page to whatever
you were using before.

Then, try the whole "Open and close IE6" routine about ten times
again to confirm whether or not IE6 is now stable.

Note: The other thing I've *just* noticed is that I can get stability
and then have the things fail again after several hours of
working properly. As a result, I am not certain the fix I
described in my previous post is completely bulletproof.
The problem may require more work than just a particular
configuration change. I'm still experimenting and testing
for what's actually going on.

Bill

whomike wrote:
> Bill--
> I am having a problem-- "please try moving to a blank page"--
> I do not have a shortcut to any blank page on my desktop and I
> cannot enter "about-blank" in the url line while the "IE has
> encountered an error and must close" box is showing on the
> re-launch of IE after the update.
> Any ideas of how to get a blank page before the update?
> Thanks--Mike
>
> "Bill Drake" wrote:
>
>> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
>> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
>> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>>
>> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
>> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
>> I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
>> tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.
>>
>> The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
>> which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.
>>
>> Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
>> blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
>> not an acceptable solution.
>>
>> I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
>> and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
>> correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.
>>

>> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
>> and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
>> a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.
>>
>> As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
>> to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
>> the problem described above to occur.
>>
>> For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
>> opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
>> KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
>> default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.
>>

>> Best I can do for now. <tm>
>>

>> Bill

PA Bear

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
> and does not.

Please check your %windir%/windowsupdate.log and confirm that a reboot was
not required after installing 942615.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

Bill Drake wrote:
> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>
> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
> I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
> tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.
>
> The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
> which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.
>
> Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
> blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
> not an acceptable solution.
>
> I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
> and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
> correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.
>
> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
> and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
> a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.
>
> As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
> to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
> the problem described above to occur.
>
> For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
> opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
> KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
> default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.
>
> Best I can do for now.

Alias

whomike wrote:
> Bill--
> I am having a problem-- "please try moving to a blank page"--
> I do not have a shortcut to any blank page on my desktop and I cannot enter
> "about-blank" in the url line while the "IE has encountered an error and must
> close" box is showing on the re-launch of IE after the update.
> Any ideas of how to get a blank page before the update?
> Thanks--Mike
>
> "Bill Drake" wrote:
>
>> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
>> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
>> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>>
>> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
>> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.
>> I dutifully reported the failure to Microsoft and then repeatedly
>> tried reopening IE6 until it would successfully open.
>>
>> The above occurred when opening my default homepage,
>> which is "My MSN" - and is heavily customized.
>>
>> Cleaning my Internet Explorer Tempfolder and moving to a
>> blank opening page solved the problem. However, this was
>> not an acceptable solution.
>>
>> I then rebooted the machine, restored my default homepage
>> and tried opening IE6 again. Now, the machine is working
>> correctly, even after multiple open/close cycles.
>>

>> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
>> and does not. Consequently, some part of the update that requires
>> a reboot before the update is fully applied does not get done.
>>
>> As a result, installing this update without the reboot causes IE6
>> to run in a "half-updated/half-not-updated" mode - which causes
>> the problem described above to occur.
>>
>> For those experiencing this problem, please try moving to a blank
>> opening page - and then reboot your machine again after the
>> KB942615 update is installed. Once this is done, restore your
>> default homepage. See if this procedure resolves your problem.
>>

>> Best I can do for now. <tm>
>>

>> Bill

Right click on the IE icon on your desktop/properties and change the
home page.

Alias
Alias
Bill Drake

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
Hi, Freudi. See comments inline.

Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
> "Bill Drake" <bdrake@telus.net> schrieb:
>
>> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
>> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
>> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>>
>> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
>> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.

> Mentioning an error in iexplore.exe in association with "urlmon.dll"?

Yes, that is correct. The standard error everyone else has been
mentioning.

> If true, *and* in case you've installed a Java-VM from Sun, please
> check via "Tools -> Manage AddOns" that all three(!) AddOns present
> for the Sun Java-VM are activated. In case one of these is
> deactivated, activate that one, shut down all IE windows and see if
> that fixes the problem after a restart of IE. I've ran into that
> issue on one of my (virtual and physical) machines and that fixed the
> issue without having to reboot Windows itself.

I checked my add-ons and my BHOs. All are correct, none of the items
are disabled.

As mentioned in my post to whomike in this same thread - I've now
found that the crash recurs after the system has been sitting idle
on a web page for a while - even with the workaround applied as
described in my previous post.

From everything I see here, I suspect there are still some
problems with the fix in the KB942615 update for the bugs
described in KB921090.

This crash is consistent with the KB921090 bug for people who
are loading default webpages which validate their login with https://
before the page proceeds to load normally with http://. (This
behaviour is typical for Microsoft Passport-verified webpage access
and things similar.)

A race condition occurs at each page-login refresh. If the
improvements in the design of IE6 accomplished by KB942615
allow for concurrent processing of both the https:// and http://
sections of the webpage code - and as a result the http:// code
is now permitted to begin execution before the https:// code has
finished obtaining permission for the page to load with the customized
parameters saved for that user - this will create a condition where
a crash would be expected.

Up until the creation of the KB942615 update, the above race
condition was reliably handled by IE6 without error. We need to
return the new code to the same level of bulletproofing as before.

Best I can do for now. <tm>

Bill

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
Please check the KB942615.log
Click Start > Run > type in or copy and paste the below into the Open: line

%windir%\KB942615.log
Click OK or press Enter

Scroll down to the bottom of the log and look for:

50.853: IsRebootRequiredForFileQueue: At least one file operation was
delayed; reboot is required.
If none are listed below, check above for delayed deletes.

There should be files 'listed below' after the above line.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

PA Bear wrote:

>> I suspect the KB942615 update should be coded to force a reboot
>> and does not.

> Please check your %windir%/windowsupdate.log and confirm that a reboot
> was not required after installing 942615.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: WARNING: KB942615 may require an extra reboot to apply correctly
"Bill Drake" <bdrake@telus.net> schrieb:
> Ottmar Freudenberger wrote:
>> "Bill Drake" <bdrake@telus.net> schrieb:
>>
>>> When I installed the Patch Tuesday updates on my WXP Box
>>> with MSIE6 installed. I had the same problems with IE6 startup
>>> as others are mentioning in these newsgroups.
>>>
>>> Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an "Internet
>>> Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" dialog.

>> Mentioning an error in iexplore.exe in association with "urlmon.dll"?

> Yes, that is correct. The standard error everyone else has been
> mentioning.

Well we haven't seen that many postings here in the WU newsgroup on
the issue - yet

>> If true, *and* in case you've installed a Java-VM from Sun, please
>> check via "Tools -> Manage AddOns" that all three(!) AddOns present
>> for the Sun Java-VM are activated. In case one of these is
>> deactivated, activate that one, shut down all IE windows and see if
>> that fixes the problem after a restart of IE. I've ran into that
>> issue on one of my (virtual and physical) machines and that fixed the
>> issue without having to reboot Windows itself.
>>

> I checked my add-ons and my BHOs. All are correct, none of the items
> are disabled.

Right, since you've rebooted Windows manually ;-)
Do you have Sun's Java-VM installed? If true which exact version (it's
1.6 u3 here)? Which other AddOns?

> As mentioned in my post to whomike in this same thread - I've now
> found that the crash recurs after the system has been sitting idle
> on a web page for a while - even with the workaround applied as
> described in my previous post.

Hm, I know, it's just another workaround (for an issue I'm *not* seeing
here so far), but in the past disableing HTTP 1.1 in the Internet Options
under Advanced "solved" some of these problems IIRC.

You've tried installing KB945007 (not offered via WU but in DonwloadCenter)
which contains another version of mshtml.dll?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945007/en-us

> From everything I see here, I suspect there are still some
> problems with the fix in the KB942615 update for the bugs
> described in KB921090.

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942615/en-us the fix
for KB921090 is contained in KB942615 already.

Bye,
Freudi