ISP connection problem after IE7

BJ

ISP connection problem after IE7
I upgraded to IE7 over the weekend. There were a number of problems did not
install properly at first. Took off and reinstalled. Most functions working
ok. Several shortcuts not working at all some are. Presently I am not able to
connect to my ISP(Comcast) at all even if I go out to Internet Explorer.
Spent hours on the phone with Comcast this morning they cannot figure it out.
I was informed that many people are having problems with strange websites
coming up, etc.
Presently I am only able to get my email via Outlook!
Note: In checking list of programs on my system I no longer she nVida
Driver. I know I saw it before.
Could this cause the problem of not being able to access some websites?

Where can I get a safe nVIDA Driver to download?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

Re: ISP connection problem after IE7

"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded to IE7 over the weekend. There were a number of problems did not
> install properly at first. Took off and reinstalled. Most functions
> working
> ok. Several shortcuts not working at all some are. Presently I am not able
> connect to my ISP(Comcast) at all even if I go out to Internet Explorer.
> Spent hours on the phone with Comcast this morning they cannot figure it
> out.
> I was informed that many people are having problems with strange websites
> coming up, etc.
> Presently I am only able to get my email via Outlook!
> Note: In checking list of programs on my system I no longer she nVida
> Driver. I know I saw it before.
> Could this cause the problem of not being able to access some websites?
>
> Where can I get a safe nVIDA Driver to download?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

The only way you could get mail with any mail program is through the
internet. Hence, if you are getting mail with
Outlook, your computer is connected to the internet.

Perhaps what you should do is remove IE 7 (which will cause IE 6 to come to
life).

Where were you looking for the nVidia driver? It is usually listed under
the device manager.
If you do need a driver, get it from the video card manufacturer (and that
may not be nVidia).
Anyway, having or not having the driver is extremely unlikely to have any
bearing on your other problems.

Jim

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ISP connection problem after IE7
"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded to IE7 over the weekend. There were a number of problems did not
> install properly at first. Took off and reinstalled. Most functions working
> ok. Several shortcuts not working at all some are. Presently I am not able to
> connect to my ISP(Comcast) at all even if I go out to Internet Explorer.

This can be a symptom of misconfigured firewall blocking outbound requests.
If you have a third-party firewall disable it but replace it with the Windows firewall.

> Spent hours on the phone with Comcast this morning they cannot figure it out.
> I was informed that many people are having problems with strange websites
> coming up, etc.
> Presently I am only able to get my email via Outlook!
> Note: In checking list of programs on my system I no longer she nVida
> Driver. I know I saw it before.
> Could this cause the problem of not being able to access some websites?
>
> Where can I get a safe nVIDA Driver to download?

Hmm... nVidia has a firewall apparently. Are you using it?

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=5012

(Live Search for
nVidia firewall
)

> Thanks for any help you can provide.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Ottmar Freudenberger

"BJ" <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I upgraded to IE7 over the weekend. There were a number of problems did not
> install properly at first. Took off and reinstalled. Most functions working
> ok. Several shortcuts not working at all some are. Presently I am not able to
> connect to my ISP(Comcast) at all even if I go out to Internet Explorer.
> Spent hours on the phone with Comcast this morning they cannot figure it out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818/en-us "may" help you in
finding the cause for the issues you ran into.

Bye,
Freudi
PA Bear

Re: ISP connection problem after IE7
Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, any real-time protection provided by
an anti-spyware application (except for Windows Defender; includes Spybot
Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS guard.exe, etc.), disable any
third-party firewall AND enable the Windows Firewall.

NB: If you're running ZA Free firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead
of disabling it. You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else
online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
anti-virus application has been re-enabled!

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB939653 [or
KB942615])" via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked
at top right) and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered. If "Root Certificates" update is listed in the Optional Updates
category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable your third-party
firewall.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/