Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio

Paul N

"kimmersly" wrote:

> "estebe99@hotmail.com" wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 9, 4:14 am, kimmersly <kimmer...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I just tried installing the recently posted Optional Hardware update titled
> > > "Creative Technology Ltd. SB X-Fi Xtreme" (no update number listed), which
> > > BSOD'ed me during the install.

> [...]
>
> > i did the same thing just now (updated my creative x-fi extreme audio
> > drivers from microsoft's update) and got the exact same sequence of
> > errors - bluescreen reboot with error message about not finding some
> > handle in msvcrt.dll - i then downloaded and installed the driver
> > (XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) directly from creative's page and
> > installed it - on reboot i get the new "error loading P17RunE.dll" the
> > specific procedure could not be found" - i notice that in my msconfig
> > startup, there are 2 new rundll32.exe startups - one is for
> > P17RunE.dll and the other is SPIRun.dll - i unload them both - at
> > leastnow the load errors have gone away - the sound seems to work
> > fine - i have no idea what functionality these two rundll calls
> > provided that i now no longer have - but at least no errors and sound
> > and creative console are working

> Thank you, Estebe ...!
>
> Removing those two items from the startup sequence did the trick
> for me too. Even the Norton logs are working once again!
>
> I think I'll poke around the Creative X-Fi web site a bit, and see if
> I can find out any info on what those procs are, and what it is that
> we've disabled. If I find out anything of interest, I'll post the info
> here, and email you ...
>
> Again, thanks *muchly* ...!
>
> /kim

I have experienced exactly the same problem (although thankfully without the
dreaded blue screen) and managed to restore sound by re-installing from the
original disk. I now get the same irritating error messages and will try
your solution of deleting the new files. Also Norton has been behaving oddly
too. If you do find out what those new files should do please post answer.
Paul N

"Paul N" wrote:

> "kimmersly" wrote:
>
> > "estebe99@hotmail.com" wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > > i did the same thing just now (updated my creative x-fi extreme audio
> > > drivers from microsoft's update) and got the exact same sequence of
> > > errors - bluescreen reboot with error message about not finding some
> > > handle in msvcrt.dll - i then downloaded and installed the driver
> > > (XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) directly from creative's page and
> > > installed it - on reboot i get the new "error loading P17RunE.dll" the
> > > specific procedure could not be found" - i notice that in my msconfig
> > > startup, there are 2 new rundll32.exe startups - one is for
> > > P17RunE.dll and the other is SPIRun.dll - i unload them both - at
> > > leastnow the load errors have gone away - the sound seems to work
> > > fine - i have no idea what functionality these two rundll calls
> > > provided that i now no longer have - but at least no errors and sound
> > > and creative console are working

> > Thank you, Estebe ...!
> >
> > Removing those two items from the startup sequence did the trick
> > for me too. Even the Norton logs are working once again!
> >
> > I think I'll poke around the Creative X-Fi web site a bit, and see if
> > I can find out any info on what those procs are, and what it is that
> > we've disabled. If I find out anything of interest, I'll post the info
> > here, and email you ...
> >
> > Again, thanks *muchly* ...!
> >
> > /kim
> >

> I have experienced exactly the same problem (although thankfully without the
> dreaded blue screen) and managed to restore sound by re-installing from the
> original disk. I now get the same irritating error messages and will try
> your solution of deleting the new files. Also Norton has been behaving oddly
> too. If you do find out what those new files should do please post answer.

Just realised that being very rusty on sorting problems and fairly new to
XP, I don't know how to actually set about unloading the the two startups you
refer to. Windows help seems silent on the matter. Many thanks if you can
help.

Paul N
realcestmoi

Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio
Hi there,

Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
Microsoft hardware.

If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper go
to the manufacturers website to look for an updatede driver.

If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.

If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
restore from the system backup you hopefully made.

Best regards,
Michel Denie

"Paul N" <Paul N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "kimmersly" wrote:
>
>> "estebe99@hotmail.com" wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>> > i did the same thing just now (updated my creative x-fi extreme audio
>> > drivers from microsoft's update) and got the exact same sequence of
>> > errors - bluescreen reboot with error message about not finding some
>> > handle in msvcrt.dll - i then downloaded and installed the driver
>> > (XFXA_PCDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) directly from creative's page and
>> > installed it - on reboot i get the new "error loading P17RunE.dll" the
>> > specific procedure could not be found" - i notice that in my msconfig
>> > startup, there are 2 new rundll32.exe startups - one is for
>> > P17RunE.dll and the other is SPIRun.dll - i unload them both - at
>> > leastnow the load errors have gone away - the sound seems to work
>> > fine - i have no idea what functionality these two rundll calls
>> > provided that i now no longer have - but at least no errors and sound
>> > and creative console are working

>> Thank you, Estebe ...!
>>
>> Removing those two items from the startup sequence did the trick
>> for me too. Even the Norton logs are working once again!
>>
>> I think I'll poke around the Creative X-Fi web site a bit, and see if
>> I can find out any info on what those procs are, and what it is that
>> we've disabled. If I find out anything of interest, I'll post the info
>> here, and email you ...
>>
>> Again, thanks *muchly* ...!
>>
>> /kim
>>

> I have experienced exactly the same problem (although thankfully without
> the
> dreaded blue screen) and managed to restore sound by re-installing from
> the
> original disk. I now get the same irritating error messages and will try
> your solution of deleting the new files. Also Norton has been behaving
> oddly
> too. If you do find out what those new files should do please post
> answer.

Paul N

Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio
Hi,

Thanks for the advice - I wish I had seen it before attempting the update.
I have a full sytem and files backup using "Backup" from about two months
ago. If I use "Backup" to restore just the System Files should this work?
And what happens to any software I have installed since that backup. Would I
need to install it again? I am naturally a bit nervous about doing anything
at the moment. I did try "Restore" but it kept on telling me no files had
been changed even if I went back several stages.

I would appreciate any advice as I would class myself as only semi-computer
literate.

Thank you.

Paul N

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
> Microsoft hardware.
>
> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper go
> to the manufacturers website to look for an updatede driver.
>
> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>
> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
> known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
> restore from the system backup you hopefully made.
>
> Best regards,
> Michel Denie
>
> "Paul N" <Paul N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Thank you, Estebe ...!
> >>
> >> Removing those two items from the startup sequence did the trick
> >> for me too. Even the Norton logs are working once again!
> >>
> >> I think I'll poke around the Creative X-Fi web site a bit, and see if
> >> I can find out any info on what those procs are, and what it is that
> >> we've disabled. If I find out anything of interest, I'll post the info
> >> here, and email you ...
> >>
> >> Again, thanks *muchly* ...!
> >>
> >> /kim
> >>

> > I have experienced exactly the same problem (although thankfully without
> > the
> > dreaded blue screen) and managed to restore sound by re-installing from
> > the
> > original disk. I now get the same irritating error messages and will try
> > your solution of deleting the new files. Also Norton has been behaving
> > oddly
> > too. If you do find out what those new files should do please post
> > answer.

realcestmoi

Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio
Hi there,

Did you try all the suggestions?
System restore in safe mode by the way.

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the advice - I wish I had seen it before attempting the update.
> I have a full sytem and files backup using "Backup" from about two months
> ago. If I use "Backup" to restore just the System Files should this work?
> And what happens to any software I have installed since that backup.
> Would I
> need to install it again? I am naturally a bit nervous about doing
> anything
> at the moment. I did try "Restore" but it kept on telling me no files had
> been changed even if I went back several stages.
>
> I would appreciate any advice as I would class myself as only
> semi-computer
> literate.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Paul N
>

> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
>> Microsoft hardware.
>>
>> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
>> go
>> to the manufacturers website to look for an updatede driver.
>>
>> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
>>
>> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
>> known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
>> restore from the system backup you hopefully made.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michel Denie
>>
>> "Paul N" <Paul N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I have experienced exactly the same problem (although thankfully
>> > without
>> > the
>> > dreaded blue screen) and managed to restore sound by re-installing from
>> > the
>> > original disk. I now get the same irritating error messages and will
>> > try
>> > your solution of deleting the new files. Also Norton has been behaving
>> > oddly
>> > too. If you do find out what those new files should do please post
>> > answer.

Paul N

Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio
Hello Michel

Tried rolling back driver but this did not work - probably because I had
already re-installed drivers from original cd. Then tried Restore in Safe
Mode - bingo - error messages disappear. Still problems with soundcard so
re-installed from original cd again. Now everything seems to be behaving
normally - touch wood. Thanks for your help and good advice - I will not
update drivers from Microsoft website again!

Best wishes,

Paul N

"realcestmoi" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Did you try all the suggestions?
> System restore in safe mode by the way.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michel Denie
> "Paul N" <PaulN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the advice - I wish I had seen it before attempting the update.
> > I have a full sytem and files backup using "Backup" from about two months
> > ago. If I use "Backup" to restore just the System Files should this work?
> > And what happens to any software I have installed since that backup.
> > Would I
> > need to install it again? I am naturally a bit nervous about doing
> > anything
> > at the moment. I did try "Restore" but it kept on telling me no files had
> > been changed even if I went back several stages.
> >
> > I would appreciate any advice as I would class myself as only
> > semi-computer
> > literate.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Paul N
> >

> > "realcestmoi" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Never take drivers from windows update unless they are intended for
> >> Microsoft hardware.
> >>
> >> If an updated driver is needed because the hardware does not work proper
> >> go
> >> to the manufacturers website to look for an updatede driver.
> >>
> >> If it ain't broke: do not try to"FIX" it.
> >>
> >> If you did take the optional drivers from windows update try booting last
> >> known good configuration, rolling back on the driver or system restore or
> >> restore from the system backup you hopefully made.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Michel Denie

realcestmoi

Re: H/W update for Creative X-Fi breaks existing WinXP installatio
Hello Paul,

Good to hear your problem is solved