Download Failure

Evansville, IN Doug

Download Failure
First, let me aplogize for asking something that I'm sure has been asked. I
have not been able to find anything that resembles my problem.

I'm using a Lenovo Laptop and recently had to do a complete system restore.
After the restore I went to the Windows download area and checked to see if
there were any updates that I needed to reinstall. 87 files were sent to my
hard drive for installation. I clicked on the yellow shield Icon in the tray
and followed the recommended install directions. Following this I got a
message that said the following updates were not downloaded and it listed all
87 items. I have tried to download one at a time, five at a time and 10 or
more at a time. Each time turning off my computer to activate or install the
updates, and each time I turned it back on, the same number of updates
appeared for installation.

If anyone knows how to combat this, please tell me and if you do please make
sure you are very explicit with the steps. I know my way around a computer
just enough to make things worse that's why I need to step by step
instructions.

If anyone sees this and needs more info, please ask. I will be glad to
provide as much as I feel safe with.
--
Thanks for any and all help, suggestions or input.

Doug
Shenan Stanley

Re: Download Failure
Evansville, IN Doug wrote:
> First, let me aplogize for asking something that I'm sure has been
> asked. I have not been able to find anything that resembles my
> problem.
>
> I'm using a Lenovo Laptop and recently had to do a complete system
> restore. After the restore I went to the Windows download area and
> checked to see if there were any updates that I needed to
> reinstall. 87 files were sent to my hard drive for installation. I
> clicked on the yellow shield Icon in the tray and followed the
> recommended install directions. Following this I got a message that
> said the following updates were not downloaded and it listed all 87
> items. I have tried to download one at a time, five at a time and
> 10 or more at a time. Each time turning off my computer to activate
> or install the updates, and each time I turned it back on, the same
> number of updates appeared for installation.
>
> If anyone knows how to combat this, please tell me and if you do
> please make sure you are very explicit with the steps. I know my
> way around a computer just enough to make things worse that's why I
> need to step by step instructions.
>
> If anyone sees this and needs more info, please ask. I will be glad
> to provide as much as I feel safe with.

Search and Search before asking...

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
(Try it even if you did a clean, not repair, installation.)
(Try it even if you performed some sort of restore - not repair install.)

Can't figure that out?

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP