KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des

H8_The_KB943460.

KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the IE
icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but I
like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into IE
property settings.

No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
tap>customize desktop section.

as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop comes
back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that piece
of junk.

This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
individual computer.
PA Bear

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
Yes, 943460 removes that Customize Desktop option in WinXP and Win2K03
machines running IE7. MS hasn't told us why this change was made.

The Resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849 will place the IE
icon on the desktop but it will NOT bring the Customize Desktop option back.

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/

H8_The_KB943460. wrote:
> As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the IE
> icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but I
> like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into
> IE
> property settings.
>
> No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
> option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
> tap>customize desktop section.
>
> as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop comes
> back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that
> piece
> of junk.
>
> This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
> make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
> individual computer.

Brad

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
PA Bear,

Isn't there a registry hack for putting Internet Explorer back into the
Customize Desktop?
All things being Microsoft, shouldn't there be a place in the registry where
that's located or should be located and needs to be turned back on or
re-added?
Brad

> Yes, 943460 removes that Customize Desktop option in WinXP and Win2K03
> machines running IE7. MS hasn't told us why this change was made.
>
> The Resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849 will place the IE
> icon on the desktop but it will NOT bring the Customize Desktop option

back.

> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:

> In your newsreader:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>

> H8_The_KB943460. wrote:
> > As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the

IE
> > icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but

> > like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into
> > IE
> > property settings.
> >
> > No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
> > option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
> > tap>customize desktop section.
> >
> > as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop

comes
> > back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that
> > piece
> > of junk.
> >
> > This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
> > make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
> > individual computer.

Brad

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
PA Bear,

I have been told to just remove this update from my machine and Internet
Explorer will come back.

My machine says it can't be removed. How can I remove it?
Brad

> Yes, 943460 removes that Customize Desktop option in WinXP and Win2K03
> machines running IE7. MS hasn't told us why this change was made.
>
> The Resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849 will place the IE
> icon on the desktop but it will NOT bring the Customize Desktop option

back.

> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>
> On the web:

> In your newsreader:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>

> H8_The_KB943460. wrote:
> > As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the

IE
> > icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but

> > like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into
> > IE
> > property settings.
> >
> > No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
> > option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
> > tap>customize desktop section.
> >
> > as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop

comes
> > back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that
> > piece
> > of junk.
> >
> > This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
> > make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
> > individual computer.

Ottmar Freudenberger

"Brad" <bs@imhere.com> schrieb:

> Isn't there a registry hack for putting Internet Explorer back into the
> Customize Desktop?

Nope, but "registry hacks" to show/hide IE7 *or* IE6 on Windows XP manually:
http://patch-info.de/WinXP/Downloads..._IE-Symbol.zip

Extract the content of the ZIP file which are two REG files,
"Desktop_IE-Symbol_einblenden.reg" does show the IE7 *or* IE6 symbol on
desktop while "Desktop_IE-Symbol_ausblenden.reg" will hide it again.
After a doubleclick on any of those REG files and letting them merge
into the registry, you may need to refresh the desktop to see/hide the
IE symbol (pressing the [F5] key on the desktop is sufficent).

Bye,
Freudi
PA Bear

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
No, but as I posted earlier...

>> The Resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849 will place the
>> IE
>> icon on the desktop but it will NOT bring the Customize Desktop option
>> back.

1. Copy everything between the ##### marks, including the 3 blank lines, to
your clipboard:

#########################

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

#########################

2. Open Notepad | Click on Format | Make certain "Word wrap" is NOT checked
| Now paste the contents of your clipboard into Notepad.

3. Close the Notepad file, saving it to your desktop with the name
AddIEIcon2Desktop.reg (not AddIEIcon2Desktop.txt).

4. With only the desktop on your screen, double-click on
AddIEIcon2Desktop.reg and accept the prompt to merge the data with the
Registry.

5. Press the F5 key to refresh the desktop; delete AddIEIcon2Desktop.reg.
--
~PA Bear

Brad wrote:
> Isn't there a registry hack for putting Internet Explorer back into the
> Customize Desktop?
> All things being Microsoft, shouldn't there be a place in the registry
> where
> that's located or should be located and needs to be turned back on or
> re-added?
> Brad

>> Yes, 943460 removes that Customize Desktop option in WinXP and Win2K03
>> machines running IE7. MS hasn't told us why this change was made.
>>
>> The Resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555849 will place the
>> IE
>> icon on the desktop but it will NOT bring the Customize Desktop option
>> back.
>>
>> => Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>> seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
>>
>> On the web:

>> In your newsreader:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/
>>

>> H8_The_KB943460. wrote:
>>> As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the
>>> IE
>>> icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but
>>> like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into
>>> IE
>>> property settings.
>>>
>>> No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
>>> option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
>>> tap>customize desktop section.
>>>
>>> as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop
>>> comes
>>> back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that
>>> piece
>>> of junk.
>>>
>>> This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
>>> make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
>>> individual computer.

Brad

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
I've noticed on several machines now that the installation of KB943460 has
different effects on different machines and whether they're using IE6 or
IE7.

I have WinXPpro sp2 w/IE7 and I CAN'T remove the kb943460 update.
I've seen WinXPpro sp2 w/IE6 and you CAN ("remove" button available) remove
this update, then I just looked at another WinXPpro sp2 w/IE7 and it also
CAN be removed.

I just worked on a WinXPhome sp2 w/IE6 and the IE "setup" in Customize
Desktop is missing. Although it does have the "remove" button in "Add and
Remove Programs".

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth with what I've seen about this.

Brad

"H8_The_KB943460." <H8_The_KB943460.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:231FE48D-E9CC-4B67-9796-73DDEFC15711@microsoft.com...
> As soon as KB943460 was installed I no longer had the option to add the IE
> icon to my desktop. I realize I could put a shortcut there instead, but I
> like to be able to right click on the IE icon on the desktop to get into

IE
> property settings.
>
> No other accounts, newly created after update or older profiles have the
> option to add the IE icon anymore from the display properties>desktop
> tap>customize desktop section.
>
> as soon as I kill KB943460 the option to put IE icon on the desktop comes
> back.. for now I have set updates to never again try and install that

piece
> of junk.
>
> This problem has been replicated on literally dozens of various
> make/model/platform of PC running XPsp2 so it is not a glitch in my
> individual computer.

PA Bear

Re: KB943460 Kills ability to add IE icon 2 desktop from Customize Des
943460 is uninstallable here w/WinXP SP2 & IE7. Whether it's wise to do so
is another question.

Brad wrote:
> I've noticed on several machines now that the installation of KB943460 has
> different effects on different machines and whether they're using IE6 or
> IE7.
>
> I have WinXPpro sp2 w/IE7 and I CAN'T remove the kb943460 update.

<snip>