Re: Clear Windows Update History

maulder

Re: Clear Windows Update History
I would also dearly like to know how... sick of seeing those 'Failed' updates.

But don't want the whole history to disappear!

"Andrius" wrote:

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > Plz, help, because it is very annoying to see not installed updates when
> > > they are already installed...

> > Which updates are being reoffered that are purportedly installed ?
> > Check in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to see if any of the
> > ones being reoffered are listed.
> >
> > MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]

> I've got two problems that are disappointing me.
>
> 1) ~10 days ago I desided to check microsoft update and found that new Intel
> PRO wireless set 2200BG drivers has been released. I marked to download and
> install them. Everything was ok. in "device manager" I saw that driver, his
> number, has been updated.
> I've got configured that windows would show new updates only (yellow shield
> appears when new critical updates are released, for example, updates of
> windows defender and so on) Two days later I decided to check microsoft
> update again, because I marked to download IE7 which wasn't downloading. And
> I saw that there is Intel PRO wireless set 2200BG update here again. Well, I
> tried to install it repeatedly but it failed three times. In the disscusions
> (here) I saw that more users have the same problem. After several days
> microsoft perhaps fixed this and I do not see any updates for intel wireless
> set 2200BG any more.
> I'd like to ask how to delete these three failed updates in microsoft update
> history? I've found that by deleting DataStore catalog I delete all update
> history. How to delete these three failed updates separately? Not deleting
> all history that was succesfully installed?
>
> 2. I have the same type problem for HP LaserJet 1020 windows updates offered
> as it installs correctly but windows in windows update doesn't see that and
> offers to install again. I have installed the newest drivers from www.hp.com
> but there is update offer in windows update.
>
> Could You help me solve 1. problem? Because it very dissapoints me. Maybe I
> could send You my zipped datastore catalog? That was the wrong to try
> install intel update repeatedly.
>
> Thank You,
> Andrius

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Clear Windows Update History
Can't be done. One either chooses to remove all of the updating History
shown on the Update sites or none. There's no way to save just the
successful updates.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

maulder wrote:

> I would also dearly like to know how... sick of seeing those 'Failed' updates.
>
> But don't want the whole history to disappear!

>>>Which updates are being reoffered that are purportedly installed ?
>>>Check in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to see if any of the
>>>ones being reoffered are listed.
>>>
>>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]

>>I've got two problems that are disappointing me.
>>
>>1) ~10 days ago I desided to check microsoft update and found that new Intel
>>PRO wireless set 2200BG drivers has been released. I marked to download and
>>install them. Everything was ok. in "device manager" I saw that driver, his
>>number, has been updated.
>>I've got configured that windows would show new updates only (yellow shield
>>appears when new critical updates are released, for example, updates of
>>windows defender and so on) Two days later I decided to check microsoft
>>update again, because I marked to download IE7 which wasn't downloading. And
>>I saw that there is Intel PRO wireless set 2200BG update here again. Well, I
>>tried to install it repeatedly but it failed three times. In the disscusions
>>(here) I saw that more users have the same problem. After several days
>>microsoft perhaps fixed this and I do not see any updates for intel wireless
>>set 2200BG any more.
>>I'd like to ask how to delete these three failed updates in microsoft update
>>history? I've found that by deleting DataStore catalog I delete all update
>>history. How to delete these three failed updates separately? Not deleting
>>all history that was succesfully installed?
>>
>>2. I have the same type problem for HP LaserJet 1020 windows updates offered
>>as it installs correctly but windows in windows update doesn't see that and
>>offers to install again. I have installed the newest drivers from www.hp.com
>>but there is update offer in windows update.
>>
>>Could You help me solve 1. problem? Because it very dissapoints me. Maybe I
>>could send You my zipped datastore catalog? That was the wrong to try
>>install intel update repeatedly.
>>
>>Thank You,
>>Andrius

maulder

Re: Clear Windows Update History
I read somewhere that we can delete the folders in 'Software Distribution'
and 'Download'. It'll wiped off the whole update history.

Question is: If I do that, will Windows Update 'forget' that the updates
were already installed, and will prompt user to download and install again?
Or will it know that the updates have already been installed and will not
prompt user?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Can't be done. One either chooses to remove all of the updating History
> shown on the Update sites or none. There's no way to save just the
> successful updates.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> maulder wrote:
>
> > I would also dearly like to know how... sick of seeing those 'Failed' updates.
> >
> > But don't want the whole history to disappear!

> >>I've got two problems that are disappointing me.
> >>
> >>1) ~10 days ago I desided to check microsoft update and found that new Intel
> >>PRO wireless set 2200BG drivers has been released. I marked to download and
> >>install them. Everything was ok. in "device manager" I saw that driver, his
> >>number, has been updated.
> >>I've got configured that windows would show new updates only (yellow shield
> >>appears when new critical updates are released, for example, updates of
> >>windows defender and so on) Two days later I decided to check microsoft
> >>update again, because I marked to download IE7 which wasn't downloading. And
> >>I saw that there is Intel PRO wireless set 2200BG update here again. Well, I
> >>tried to install it repeatedly but it failed three times. In the disscusions
> >>(here) I saw that more users have the same problem. After several days
> >>microsoft perhaps fixed this and I do not see any updates for intel wireless
> >>set 2200BG any more.
> >>I'd like to ask how to delete these three failed updates in microsoft update
> >>history? I've found that by deleting DataStore catalog I delete all update
> >>history. How to delete these three failed updates separately? Not deleting
> >>all history that was succesfully installed?
> >>
> >>2. I have the same type problem for HP LaserJet 1020 windows updates offered
> >>as it installs correctly but windows in windows update doesn't see that and
> >>offers to install again. I have installed the newest drivers from www.hp.com
> >>but there is update offer in windows update.
> >>
> >>Could You help me solve 1. problem? Because it very dissapoints me. Maybe I
> >>could send You my zipped datastore catalog? That was the wrong to try
> >>install intel update repeatedly.
> >>
> >>Thank You,
> >>Andrius

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Clear Windows Update History
The file that contains the updating *History* viewable on either update
sites is located in SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
It's name is DataStore.edb

Update detection is NOT dependent on DataStore.edb and properly
installed updates will NOT be reoffered if one deletes it.

Suggest you read this to mitigate possible corruption of DataStore.edb
and the transaction logs which are located in
SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs :

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten