Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2

Bigger

Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
clicking on "Express".

I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.

What else can I do?
PA Bear

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2

Support for Windows Update:

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).

In other countries, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
for localized contact information.

For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
visit the International Support Web site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s).
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Bigger wrote:
> The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
> process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
> update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
> clicking on "Express".
>
> I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.
>
> What else can I do?

Bigger

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
Thank you for the response. I turned off the AVG and the Zone Alarm and
Windows Defender. No other security type SW running that I know of. Then I
went to the Windows update website. Clicked on "Express" and still no go.
Just hung up. The Task Manager shows wuauclt.exe up to 99 CPU and the
computer locks up with the Express scan just going and going and going no
where.

I will file the incident report you suggest. I see others are having
problems with Windows updates and I see other possible solutions. But I would
sure like to not tinker with the system so much. The automatic update feature
used to work (I used to get those prompts on the menu bar telling me an
update was ready to install). Somewhere down the line one windows update or
another caused this mess.

Thanks.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge for
> support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
> update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).
>
> In other countries, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
> Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
> for localized contact information.
>
> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
> visit the International Support Web site:
> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
> to install the update(s).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
>
> Bigger wrote:
> > The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
> > process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
> > update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
> > clicking on "Express".
> >
> > I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.
> >
> > What else can I do?

PA Bear

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
You obviously need at least one hotfix installed and a newer version of
Windows Update Agent (WUA). The MS tech will know best what you need,
Bigger. (We used to know but it's gotten too confusing lately and not all
links we use currently point to the correct WUA version needed. They should
have you straightened out within 10 minutes...unless your problem's being
caused by hijackware.)
--
~PA Bear

Bigger wrote:
> Thank you for the response. I turned off the AVG and the Zone Alarm and
> Windows Defender. No other security type SW running that I know of. Then I
> went to the Windows update website. Clicked on "Express" and still no go.
> Just hung up. The Task Manager shows wuauclt.exe up to 99 CPU and the
> computer locks up with the Express scan just going and going and going no
> where.
>
> I will file the incident report you suggest. I see others are having
> problems with Windows updates and I see other possible solutions. But I
> would sure like to not tinker with the system so much. The automatic
> update
> feature used to work (I used to get those prompts on the menu bar telling
> me an update was ready to install). Somewhere down the line one windows
> update or another caused this mess.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:

>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no-charge
>> for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you
>> call,
>> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite
>> the update's KB number (e.g., KB931678).
>>
>> In other countries, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=securityhome > "No-Charge
>> Support...for virus and other security-related" issues in right-hand menu
>> for localized contact information.
>>
>> For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues,
>> visit the International Support Web site:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
>> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
>> attempting
>> to install the update(s).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org
>>
>> Bigger wrote:
>>> The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
>>> process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
>>> update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
>>> clicking on "Express".
>>>
>>> I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.
>>>
>>> What else can I do?

Ottmar Freudenberger

"Bigger" <Bigger@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Thank you for the response. I turned off the AVG and the Zone Alarm and
> Windows Defender. No other security type SW running that I know of. Then I
> went to the Windows update website. Clicked on "Express" and still no go.
> Just hung up.

You may want to *uninstall* ZoneAlarm and use the Windows Firewall instead.
Yes, that's not a joke.

What you may want to try in addition:
Type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes into "Run" in the Start menu
and hit [Enter] or click on OK. Reboot Windows afterwards.

Bye,
Freudi
Roebuck

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
came across this error on a number of peoples systems that had upgraded
from Windows XP to Vista32
the only solution I found to eliminate the issue was to re-install to a
clean system.
It seems that some of the security apps for Windows XP sp2 disable some
functions during the installation of Windows Vista32 (I have no experience
regarding Vista64)
Once the error has appeared it will not repair itself and Any and Most
security updates WILL fail, even though you may have upgraded from an
original Vista32 DVD after about 30days the Vista system will not pass
Microsoft Validation.

If this is the case:-
note: you will lose all data that is not backed up to a separate Hard
Drive/CD or DVD
Ensure that you have all the needed driver CD's for your Motherboard and
Hardware, such as Sound. Graphics, Network, printers etc. before you
continue.
Get any required updates online
Then using the original Vista32 DVD use the full install option, do NOT
upgrade your current system.

"Bigger" <Bigger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
> process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
> update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
> clicking on "Express".
>
> I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.
>
> What else can I do?

Bigger

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
I do see that many others are writing in with update issues.

My problem is that the CPU kicks in at 99% for something called wuauclt.exe
and freezes the whole system. I also get an error message regarding
wuauclt.exe when I boot up. I can't do auto updates. I can't do manual
updates (I click on "Express" and it simply goes on and on and on and on).

I am runing XP Home Edition Sp2. I did restore the whole system (I don't
have an OS CD - just the restore program that came with the computer).

I tried the update right after restoring the system to the original setup
(no antivirus and no firewall). I was able to install SP2 manually from the
Windows Catalog. But it was no go on manual updates on the Windows Update
website or via the auto update feature.

I tried the fixes recommended by the two other responses to my initial
question and no go.

I tried various fixes recommended by others including something called Dial
A Fix. Interesting free program. But still no go. Also, the same fixes are
being recommended over and over which might be comforting to see that there
are bulletins and notices, etc. out there - but the fixes still dont' work)

I tried various spy detection programs I saw being recommended in other
detected. Nothing fixed.

I installed Windows Defender and have the same update issue I have for
Windows -the CPU goes up to 99 % for that wuauclt.exe application and freezes
the whole system.

But magically, when I rebooted one time yesterday, I received the error
message regarding wuauclt.exe and once I clicked out of that I found a
balloon waiting for me that said there were 43 (!) updates waiting to be
installed. So I installed them in a matter of minutes (looks more like 20
updates in Add/Remove programs) and then tried the update feature again on
the Windows Update website - and still no go.

One recommendation I saw was to install IE 7. I wish I had not done that! I
can use the internet but for some reason I now have a problem in that my web
pages are not refreshing automatically - I must refresh them manually.

When will it end? There is obviously a problem with the update feature in
Windows. This hit and miss troubleshooting is ridiculous and extremely time
consuming.

Also, it would seem to me that Microsoft could ease the pain a bit by simply
listing all Windows XP updates by month and year in a very easy to find place
(I stumbled onto the Windows Catalog website by accident and what I found was
not organized by month and year). That way if the auto update feature does
not work then a person could simply check the month of November for available
updates and manually download them (without use of the annoying Express or
Custom feature on the Windows Update website). Just let me download the file
and install it.

Besides going with another OS, anyone have a Windows solution?

"Roebuck" wrote:

> came across this error on a number of peoples systems that had upgraded
> from Windows XP to Vista32
> the only solution I found to eliminate the issue was to re-install to a
> clean system.
> It seems that some of the security apps for Windows XP sp2 disable some
> functions during the installation of Windows Vista32 (I have no experience
> regarding Vista64)
> Once the error has appeared it will not repair itself and Any and Most
> security updates WILL fail, even though you may have upgraded from an
> original Vista32 DVD after about 30days the Vista system will not pass
> Microsoft Validation.
>
> If this is the case:-
> note: you will lose all data that is not backed up to a separate Hard
> Drive/CD or DVD
> Ensure that you have all the needed driver CD's for your Motherboard and
> Hardware, such as Sound. Graphics, Network, printers etc. before you
> continue.
> Get any required updates online
> Then using the original Vista32 DVD use the full install option, do NOT
> upgrade your current system.
>

> "Bigger" <Bigger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The CPU goes up to 99 percent every time I try to run update! The update
> > process then freezes. I turned off the auto update and tried the manual
> > update. still no go - still freezes up (just goes on and on and on after
> > clicking on "Express".
> >
> > I also tried the Microsoft recommended fix (both methods). Still no go.
> >
> > What else can I do?

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2
"Bigger" <Bigger@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> My problem is that the CPU kicks in at 99% for something called wuauclt.exe
> and freezes the whole system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/en-us and installing the latest
version of Windows Update Agent 3.0 may resolve the issue:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

In case you've executed an Repair Installation of Windows XP, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us too.

> I also get an error message regarding wuauclt.exe when I boot up.

Which one exactly?

> I am runing XP Home Edition Sp2.

Bye,
Freudi
Bigger

Re: Cannot run auto update or manual update for win xp sp2

The error I receive when I boot up is "Wuauclt.exe has encountered a problem
and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

The error report contents show:

wuauclt.exe.mdmp appcompat.txt c:document - temp -WERfab5.dr.001

The CPU goes up to 99% on the reboot. I turn off the wauclt.exe process and
the computer unfreezes.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/