Re: continuous reboot / continuous restart

justaguy

Re: continuous reboot / continuous restart
Alright, I'm having exactly this problem myself, and I must say, it's
frustrating. The only way I can find to "solve" the problem is a temporary
one and one that needs to be sontantly applied. You need to find your Windows
disk and put it in the CD tray, then when it starts up hit F8 until you get a
bootup screen asking you what to book with . Boot with the CD (I think it's
the last option). This takes a while. Set your language settings and
everything, click "next" then click "repair my computer" (or an option that
is close enough to that anyway). The computer will diagnose the problem and
try and fix it, then ask for you to restart again to see if it works. It
DOESN'T, at least not for me, but see if it does for you anyways. After that,
if you're still having the problem, then do the same thing, boot from the
disk and go to repair. This time after a while it will ask you if you want to
use system restore to go to the last known successful boot. Say yes, and your
computer should start and work fine...at least until Vista forces you to
download their buggy update again.

I have found that this problem is indeed the result of that faulty update.
It's even acknowledged on the Vista help site. They claim to have a second
version of the update that doesn't make your computer go into continuous
reboot mode, but as of yet it keeps screwing over my computer, so I'm putting
my money on the fact that that's a bunch of bs.

Good luck

"dvandusen" wrote:

> The f8, and last known good configuration did not work. There is some
> clarification now though. The boot process goes past the bios, then the boot
> up of the loader (the ........... at the bottom of the screen when allowing
> an F8), then through the windows 2k load (the splash screen with windows 2k
> with a progress bar at the bottom), past the keyboard initialization (the
> lights on the shift led's), through the final splash screen, and to the
> change to the light blue screen where the pointer is supposed show. It
> restarts just before the point where the pointer icon displays. There are no
> devices on this machine other than a Raid card that is/was working fine.
>
> Thx

> "realcestmoi" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Try booting with F8 from the menu appearing choose last known good
> > configuration. If that works and you are going to update again skip any
> > driver updates from windows update.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Michel Denie
> >
> > "dvandusen" <dvandusen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > MowGreen:
> > >
> > > Thx
> > >
> > > Sadly, it boots the same way in safe mode, but I might be able to do
> > > Recovery Console. How can I determine what is making it restart? Is
> > > there a
> > > log to look at?

dvandusen

Re: continuous reboot / continuous restart
Thanks for the note. I believe you are right about the update, but in my
case the box is W2K server, and still it has many of the same updates. I
still have not addressed the issue fully, but did a parallel install of W2K
Pro --- it works so far. The server update was the only change made in
several months of operation. Great work MS.

"justaguy" wrote:

> Alright, I'm having exactly this problem myself, and I must say, it's
> frustrating. The only way I can find to "solve" the problem is a temporary
> one and one that needs to be sontantly applied. You need to find your Windows
> disk and put it in the CD tray, then when it starts up hit F8 until you get a
> bootup screen asking you what to book with . Boot with the CD (I think it's
> the last option). This takes a while. Set your language settings and
> everything, click "next" then click "repair my computer" (or an option that
> is close enough to that anyway). The computer will diagnose the problem and
> try and fix it, then ask for you to restart again to see if it works. It
> DOESN'T, at least not for me, but see if it does for you anyways. After that,
> if you're still having the problem, then do the same thing, boot from the
> disk and go to repair. This time after a while it will ask you if you want to
> use system restore to go to the last known successful boot. Say yes, and your
> computer should start and work fine...at least until Vista forces you to
> download their buggy update again.
>
> I have found that this problem is indeed the result of that faulty update.
> It's even acknowledged on the Vista help site. They claim to have a second
> version of the update that doesn't make your computer go into continuous
> reboot mode, but as of yet it keeps screwing over my computer, so I'm putting
> my money on the fact that that's a bunch of bs.
>
> Good luck
>
> "dvandusen" wrote:
>
> > The f8, and last known good configuration did not work. There is some
> > clarification now though. The boot process goes past the bios, then the boot
> > up of the loader (the ........... at the bottom of the screen when allowing
> > an F8), then through the windows 2k load (the splash screen with windows 2k
> > with a progress bar at the bottom), past the keyboard initialization (the
> > lights on the shift led's), through the final splash screen, and to the
> > change to the light blue screen where the pointer is supposed show. It
> > restarts just before the point where the pointer icon displays. There are no
> > devices on this machine other than a Raid card that is/was working fine.
> >
> > Thx

> > "realcestmoi" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Try booting with F8 from the menu appearing choose last known good
> > > configuration. If that works and you are going to update again skip any
> > > driver updates from windows update.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Michel Denie

MikeM

"justaguy" wrote:

> Alright, I'm having exactly this problem myself, and I must say, it's
> frustrating. The only way I can find to "solve" the problem is a temporary
> one and one that needs to be sontantly applied. You need to find your Windows
> disk and put it in the CD tray, then when it starts up hit F8 until you get a
> bootup screen asking you what to book with . Boot with the CD (I think it's
> the last option). This takes a while. Set your language settings and
> everything, click "next" then click "repair my computer" (or an option that
> is close enough to that anyway). The computer will diagnose the problem and
> try and fix it, then ask for you to restart again to see if it works. It
> DOESN'T, at least not for me, but see if it does for you anyways. After that,
> if you're still having the problem, then do the same thing, boot from the
> disk and go to repair. This time after a while it will ask you if you want to
> use system restore to go to the last known successful boot. Say yes, and your
> computer should start and work fine...at least until Vista forces you to
> download their buggy update again.
>
> I have found that this problem is indeed the result of that faulty update.
> It's even acknowledged on the Vista help site. They claim to have a second
> version of the update that doesn't make your computer go into continuous
> reboot mode, but as of yet it keeps screwing over my computer, so I'm putting
> my money on the fact that that's a bunch of bs.
>
> Good luck
>
> "dvandusen" wrote:
>
> > The f8, and last known good configuration did not work. There is some
> > clarification now though. The boot process goes past the bios, then the boot
> > up of the loader (the ........... at the bottom of the screen when allowing
> > an F8), then through the windows 2k load (the splash screen with windows 2k
> > with a progress bar at the bottom), past the keyboard initialization (the
> > lights on the shift led's), through the final splash screen, and to the
> > change to the light blue screen where the pointer is supposed show. It
> > restarts just before the point where the pointer icon displays. There are no
> > devices on this machine other than a Raid card that is/was working fine.
> >
> > Thx

> > "realcestmoi" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Try booting with F8 from the menu appearing choose last known good
> > > configuration. If that works and you are going to update again skip any
> > > driver updates from windows update.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Michel Denie

MikeM

"justaguy" wrote:

> Alright, I'm having exactly this problem myself, and I must say, it's
> frustrating. The only way I can find to "solve" the problem is a temporary
> one and one that needs to be sontantly applied. You need to find your Windows
> disk and put it in the CD tray, then when it starts up hit F8 until you get a
> bootup screen asking you what to book with . Boot with the CD (I think it's
> the last option). This takes a while. Set your language settings and
> everything, click "next" then click "repair my computer" (or an option that
> is close enough to that anyway). The computer will diagnose the problem and
> try and fix it, then ask for you to restart again to see if it works. It
> DOESN'T, at least not for me, but see if it does for you anyways. After that,
> if you're still having the problem, then do the same thing, boot from the
> disk and go to repair. This time after a while it will ask you if you want to
> use system restore to go to the last known successful boot. Say yes, and your
> computer should start and work fine...at least until Vista forces you to
> download their buggy update again.
>
> I have found that this problem is indeed the result of that faulty update.
> It's even acknowledged on the Vista help site. They claim to have a second
> version of the update that doesn't make your computer go into continuous
> reboot mode, but as of yet it keeps screwing over my computer, so I'm putting
> my money on the fact that that's a bunch of bs.
>
> Good luck
>
> "dvandusen" wrote:
>
> > The f8, and last known good configuration did not work. There is some
> > clarification now though. The boot process goes past the bios, then the boot
> > up of the loader (the ........... at the bottom of the screen when allowing
> > an F8), then through the windows 2k load (the splash screen with windows 2k
> > with a progress bar at the bottom), past the keyboard initialization (the
> > lights on the shift led's), through the final splash screen, and to the
> > change to the light blue screen where the pointer is supposed show. It
> > restarts just before the point where the pointer icon displays. There are no
> > devices on this machine other than a Raid card that is/was working fine.
> >
> > Thx

> > "realcestmoi" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Try booting with F8 from the menu appearing choose last known good
> > > configuration. If that works and you are going to update again skip any
> > > driver updates from windows update.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Michel Denie
> > >
> > > "dvandusen" <dvandusen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I also had this similar problem... Windows would load, I would get to the
icons to log into my account, once I clicked on the icon, it would start to
load and within a minute or so the computer would reboot. I was successful in
correcting this by following the info that "justaguy" wrote. I put the
Windows Vista disc in and rebooted and then hit F8. I selected to restore to
a previous date. It worked and it is so far still working alright. Thanks for
putting out the info.