Error 8000FFFF when updating Windows Vista

gratefulman

Error 8000FFFF when updating Windows Vista
Microsoft needs to create a Knowledge Base article on the fix for this error.
As of today (11-19-07), no such article exists. The solution has bee posted
several times in the last few months in the Microsoft Windows Update
Community discussion group. If I had not searched there, I would not have
found an answer.

Here is what worked for me, and for many others. The fix does not seem to
be PC brand dependent -- I have seen how it has fixed Dells, Toshibas, etc.,
so it is not an OEM version problem:

--------- Begin fix -------------------------------------
1. Click on Start and in the Search box type in regedit.

2. A new program will be listed in the same window. Now right click the
regedit program and then select the option run as administrator.

3. Now go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS and check if these three values
exist under
the COMPONENTS key:

PendingXmldentifier
NextQueueEntryIndex
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

5. Providing they do exist, then delete the three above values.

6. Restart the computer, and Windows Update should now be working fine.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Error 8000FFFF when updating Windows Vista
Nice post. Just a suggestion though ...
PRIOR to deleting the reg subkeys, BACK THEM UP first.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

'tis better to be able to boot without Windows Updates working then not
to be able to boot at all. <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten