error applying recent BitLocker and EFS Enhancements

Big Blue Ocean

error applying recent BitLocker and EFS Enhancements
I'm trying to apply the 538kb 4/24/07 update to BitLocker and EFS but I get
errors that the install is unsuccessful.

I get an error Code 8000FFFF. Help please. I've tried several times.

Thanks in advance. I've researched here and have not found anything that
helps yet.

TaurArian

Re: error applying recent BitLocker and EFS Enhancements
Basically it's a "Generic Unexpected error" - Guess that isn't too helpful.
------------------------------

Possibility 1. A Third party program is affecting the WU Service (anti-spwyare programs,
Internet/web accelerators, Firewall/Anti-Virus programs).
------------------------------

Possibility 2. The downloaded file is corrupt.

Suggest you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to whatever you like. This will take
care of any corrupted downloaded files.
How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista -
1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an Administrator)

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Stop.

2. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.

3. Start the Windows Update service

Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative Tools
Double-click Services
(Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
Right-click the Windows Update service and click Start.

This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update Site. Not important.

Possibility 3 - Could be due to corruption in the registry values -

"PendingXmldentifier"
"NextQueueEntryIndex"
"AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving"
under the registry key: HKLM\Components.

1. Click on Start and in the Search box type in regedit

2. A new program will be listed in the same window. Now right click the regedit program
and then select the option run as administrator.

3. Navigate to HKLM\COMPONENTS - look to see if these values exist under
the COMPONENTS key:

PendingXmldentifier
NextQueueEntryIndex
AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving

4. If they exist, then delete the three values.

NB: Before deleting the anything in the registry, make sure you back up the keys - click
the File option on the main toolbar, in the drop down menu select Export Select All in the
Export Registry File dialog box
Give the file a name, then click the Save button
If something goes wrong, then all you have to do is click on the File option on the main
registry editor toolbar and then select Import
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

5. Restart the computer.

Finally if none of the above is of assistance - Start a free Windows Update support
incident request:

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia
http://taurarian.mvps.org/index.htm