Windows XP Update

Panther1971

Windows XP Update
I have tried numerous times to manually update and it won't let me. Also the
automatic updates aren't working either. The only updates that I have been
able to update at all in the past few months is the malicious software
removal ones. All others fail. I tried again today to manually update. I went
to Windows Update page and it said I needed to download a program before
updating to verify my windows version. Well I tried 3 times and each time it
failed. I tried looking in these forums for anything similar, and I tried a
few things people mentioned, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions??
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Update
"Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>I have tried numerous times to manually update and it won't let me.

Any error code you want to share?

Bye,
Freudi
Panther1971

Re: Windows XP Update

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> >I have tried numerous times to manually update and it won't let me.

> Any error code you want to share?
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

After downloading the first fix that I found on here, to help validate my
windows copy yet again, and after it said its validated, I tried getting the
updates once again. Here is what errors it shows me

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB939653)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)

Any help???

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Update
"Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:
>> "Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>>
>> >I have tried numerous times to manually update and it won't let me.

>> Any error code you want to share?

> After downloading the first fix that I found on here, to help validate my
> windows copy yet again, and after it said its validated, I tried getting the
> updates once again. Here is what errors it shows me
>
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
> Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
> Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB939653)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)

Hm, visit the Windows Update site and click on the "Update History"
link there on the left side. Now hover your mouse pointer over the
red cross placed in the "Status" column and click the red cross. Now
you should see an error code. That's the code someone not sitting on
your machine will need to be able to help you in solving the problem.

Since some of the updates not installed are dating "some" months in
the past, do you have done a repair installation of Windows XP
(installing Windows XP over an existing Windows XP using your instal-
lation CD)? In case you have, you may find
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us helpful.

Bye,
Freudi
Panther1971

Re: Windows XP Update
The error code I am getting is this 0x80070002 I don't remember ever doing
a repair installation on my XP. It just stopped working all of a sudden a few
months back, now that I checked my records of updates. Weird thing is though,
it still downloads the malicious software removal tools from Windows Updates.

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> >> Any error code you want to share?

> > After downloading the first fix that I found on here, to help validate my
> > windows copy yet again, and after it said its validated, I tried getting the
> > updates once again. Here is what errors it shows me
> >
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
> > Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
> > Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB939653)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)

> Hm, visit the Windows Update site and click on the "Update History"
> link there on the left side. Now hover your mouse pointer over the
> red cross placed in the "Status" column and click the red cross. Now
> you should see an error code. That's the code someone not sitting on
> your machine will need to be able to help you in solving the problem.
>
> Since some of the updates not installed are dating "some" months in
> the past, do you have done a repair installation of Windows XP
> (installing Windows XP over an existing Windows XP using your instal-
> lation CD)? In case you have, you may find
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us helpful.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Panther1971

Re: Windows XP Update
I tried going to the weblink you provided Ottmar, and followed their
instructions on it. I downloaded the file for windows update exe, and when I
tried to run it like it said, and it gave me this message. wusetup.exe is not
a valid win32 application. After trying this anyways, I tried updating
windows update again, and everything that tried to install failed again. So I
am still back at the beginning. Any help from anyone would be great.

"Panther1971" wrote:

> The error code I am getting is this 0x80070002 I don't remember ever doing
> a repair installation on my XP. It just stopped working all of a sudden a few
> months back, now that I checked my records of updates. Weird thing is though,
> it still downloads the malicious software removal tools from Windows Updates.
>
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> > > After downloading the first fix that I found on here, to help validate my
> > > windows copy yet again, and after it said its validated, I tried getting the
> > > updates once again. Here is what errors it shows me
> > >
> > > Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
> > > Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
> > > Update for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP (KB939683)
> > > Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
> > > Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
> > > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB939653)
> > > Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)

> > Hm, visit the Windows Update site and click on the "Update History"
> > link there on the left side. Now hover your mouse pointer over the
> > red cross placed in the "Status" column and click the red cross. Now
> > you should see an error code. That's the code someone not sitting on
> > your machine will need to be able to help you in solving the problem.
> >
> > Since some of the updates not installed are dating "some" months in
> > the past, do you have done a repair installation of Windows XP
> > (installing Windows XP over an existing Windows XP using your instal-
> > lation CD)? In case you have, you may find
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144/en-us helpful.
> >
> > Bye,
> > Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Update
"Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> The error code I am getting is this 0x80070002

You may find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 helpful then.

Bye,
Freudi
Panther1971

Re: Windows XP Update
Followed those intructions on that webpage Freudi and still nothing, it still
fails with the same error code. Hmm....

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > The error code I am getting is this 0x80070002

> You may find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 helpful then.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Update
"Panther1971" <Panther1971@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>> > The error code I am getting is this 0x80070002

>> You may find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 helpful then.

> Followed those intructions on that webpage Freudi and still nothing, it still
> fails with the same error code. Hmm....

Hmm too, but is KB922582 installed on your system?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-3886afdc6e73
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582

Bye,
Freudi
Panther1971

Re: Windows XP Update
I tried that, and again once I downloaded the file and ran it, it says file
is corrupt. This is really weird that nothing seems to work, thats just not
possible. I know not every file download off this windows site can't be
corrupt. Is there anything else I can do to check why all these things keep
saying file corrupt, or file not found, after I run them? And still it never
lets me do a windows update. Always comes back as failed.