> For some reason my computer keeps failing to update KB941649 through Windows
> Update on Vista although it had no problems updating any of the other ones it
> was with.
> The error code is 80070005 if that means anything to anyone.
> Can anyone help?
Some advice that may help others but has NOT helped me..
We have found that, this issue may occur, if any 'Third Party Software' is
conflicting with the Windows Update Site. If you have 'Norton', 'McAfee' or
any other Antivirus or firewall software installed on your system, the 'Third
Party Software' can conflict with the Windows Update Site, hence I would
request you to kindly disable these software, while accessing the site, this
should resolve the issue for you. Please remember to enable the 'Windows
Firewall' on your internet connection (if it is not already) before going
online in case of virus problems.
If the issue persists, let's go to the second suggestion.
Rename Software Distribution folder:
1. Click on 'Start', choose 'Run', type in CMD and click on 'OK'.
2. Type NET STOP WUAUSERV and press 'Enter'. (Leave this window open for
3. Open 'My Computer'.
4. Find the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.
5. Right mouse click on SoftwareDistribution and choose 'Rename', call the
6. Return to the black Window that opened in step 1 type NET START WUAUSERV
and click 'Enter'.
7. Close all the windows.
Once we have performed the above steps, please access the Windows Update
site and see, if the issue is resolved.