Re: Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

lyndsayseed

Re: Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD
At last somone who knows the problem i have had this problem for about 6
weeks nvidia cant fix it as its a vista only problem, i cant play crysis for
more than an hour as it has the same error also a couple of other games,
somtimes on certain websites ... I hope windows fix this soon as i AM pissed
off with this big time...

"Smilerfive" wrote:

> I can confirm this is not a specific problem with Nvidia cards. I went out
> and bought a new ATI graphics card because I could not afford to wait any
> longer.
>
> I immediately installed this card and my system immediately sprang into
> life. And in the two hours it was working I managed to backup or otherwise
> retrieve all my data.
>
> The next I saw was a 'display driver stopped working' error in Vista, also
> know as a TDR error, where timing between Vista and graphics card is lost
> somehow. Basically this error appeared maybe 4 times then my system crashed
> again with the same error BSOD 116 but with the ATI driver file instaed of
> the nvidia driver.
>
> THIS IS A VISTA UPDATE problem where my system has been corrupted by a
> wayward Vista Update. SOmehow this is killing graphics systems...
>
> I hope they fix it soon.... Vista is becoming unusable
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
> > You should NEVER use msupdate for drivers
> > MSupdate should be configured for critical drivers only
> >
> > You should have an option in your add/remove dialogue to uninstall Nvidea
> > Display drivers.
> > Remove them, reboot, do not allow any wizard to auto install the drivers,
> > then obtain the corrrect driver from either your Laptop or OEM site if a
> > major vendor eg Dell/HP, or from your card manufacturers site, or
> > motherboard site if onboard chip.
> >
> > "Smilerfive" <Smilerfive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > There is a huge recognised problem with this. Basically Nvidia cards are
> > > pretty unstable on Vista especially for gamer/overclocker types.
> > >
> > > I dont game or overclock and my system has been working fine for many
> > > months
> > > until MS Vista Update downloaded and tried to install a new Nvidia driver
> > > automatically without my presence or explicit consent.
> > >
> > > The result is a malformed insallation, an unstable driver and, ultimately,
> > > three weeks of driver hell for me as I attempt to pick up the shreds.
> > >
> > > There has been NO progress. I have tried everything I can thinkof and
> > > more.
> > > Basically I think Update destroyed my graphics card. I have been unable to
> > > avoid BSOD on nvlddmkm.sys error 116 on boot. Every single time,
> > > regardless
> > > of driver, source, install method, uninstall method it always BSOD's.
> > >
> > > Pissed? Yes, very.

kosmos1

Re: Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

The issue you are experiencing is being reported all over the net.
Unlike the others on this forum who seem hell bent on chastising people
for doing the right thing, I intend to get to the bottom of the issue.
Telling someone multiple times that they should have downloaded the
driver from the manufacturers web site and then feeling smug about it,
doesnt help. Next time they could try to be helpful.

This issue is occurring with nvidia's WHQL Certified driver version
175.19 ( I know this because I downloaded it from Nvidia's web site) and
its occurring for more than one particular type of video card. In my
case its happening on a 7950 GX2.

After installing the new driver and experiencing a crash related to
nvlddmkm.sys I did the following.

Diagnosis

1. after uopdating display driver to 175.19, restart computer, on boot
I experienced a crash. Bugcheck indicates display driver nvlddmkm.sys is
the issue.
2. Confirm there is an issue, restart computer and let it boot once
more. Same issue occurred. Stop 0x0000007e System Thread Exception Not
Handled. looks like a driver bug.
3. Boot computer into safe mode
4. Check properties for both 7950GX2 display adapters one is listed as
using resources, the other is listed as using none because of an unknown
problem; likely a faulted driver.
5. Initial suspicion is an issue with SLi, both cards need to be
active, but on this driver release only one is.
6. un-install device driver and delete the driver software for the
device (this cleans the registry on vista and removes the driver files
installed in the system/system32 directories).
7. Reboot
8. Successful boot, the driver is deffinitely the issue.
9. browse local C drive. Open Nvidia folder, open winvista folder. My
previous successfully used driver was 169.28, installing.
10. Restart
11. Successfully started computer with no issue.
12. Checking control panel, both display adapters are listed as
functioning.

Next time I suggest that Nvidia would do better to properly regression
test their device drivers. Releasing a driver thats as buggy as this,
causing stop codes in a number of display adapters just isnt good
enough. And also next time someone seeks help try actually being
constructively helpful.

PS This issue is occurring in version 175.16 as well

--
kosmos1
kosmos1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kosmos1.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

AG

Re: Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD
i am having the same crappy problem as everyone else here, my version is 167.43