The issue you are experiencing is being reported all over the net.
Unlike the others on this forum who seem hell bent on chastising people
for doing the right thing, I intend to get to the bottom of the issue.
Telling someone multiple times that they should have downloaded the
driver from the manufacturers web site and then feeling smug about it,
doesnt help. Next time they could try to be helpful.
This issue is occurring with nvidia's WHQL Certified driver version
175.19 ( I know this because I downloaded it from Nvidia's web site) and
its occurring for more than one particular type of video card. In my
case its happening on a 7950 GX2.
After installing the new driver and experiencing a crash related to
nvlddmkm.sys I did the following.
1. after uopdating display driver to 175.19, restart computer, on boot
I experienced a crash. Bugcheck indicates display driver nvlddmkm.sys is
2. Confirm there is an issue, restart computer and let it boot once
more. Same issue occurred. Stop 0x0000007e System Thread Exception Not
Handled. looks like a driver bug.
3. Boot computer into safe mode
4. Check properties for both 7950GX2 display adapters one is listed as
using resources, the other is listed as using none because of an unknown
problem; likely a faulted driver.
5. Initial suspicion is an issue with SLi, both cards need to be
active, but on this driver release only one is.
6. un-install device driver and delete the driver software for the
device (this cleans the registry on vista and removes the driver files
installed in the system/system32 directories).
8. Successful boot, the driver is deffinitely the issue.
9. browse local C drive. Open Nvidia folder, open winvista folder. My
previous successfully used driver was 169.28, installing.
11. Successfully started computer with no issue.
12. Checking control panel, both display adapters are listed as
Next time I suggest that Nvidia would do better to properly regression
test their device drivers. Releasing a driver thats as buggy as this,
causing stop codes in a number of display adapters just isnt good
enough. And also next time someone seeks help try actually being
PS This issue is occurring in version 175.16 as well
kosmos1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kosmos1.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/810286.htm