Norton Internet Security 2008 and my Vista

Steve

Norton Internet Security 2008 and my Vista
This past week somehow or another my Norton product has a critical component
of it that is failing and becuase of it is not allowing me to access Norton.
To no surprise, nothing I have tried or what Norton has suggested has
worked. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks
Shenan Stanley

Re: Norton Internet Security 2008 and my Vista
Steve wrote:
> This past week somehow or another my Norton product has a critical
> component of it that is failing and becuase of it is not allowing
> me to access Norton. To no surprise, nothing I have tried or what
> Norton has suggested has worked. Can anyone help me with this?

Uninstall all Norton products and go with something free that works and does
a better job.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kayman

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:33:01 -0800, Steve wrote:

> This past week somehow or another my Norton product has a critical component
> of it that is failing and becuase of it is not allowing me to access Norton.
> To no surprise, nothing I have tried or what Norton has suggested has
> worked. Can anyone help me with this?

A number of experts agree that the retail AV version of McAfee, Norton and
Trend Micro has become cumbersome and bloated for the average user.
The retail version of Norton can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using Norton's own uninstall tool
and get a refund
As suggested on the site, you may wish to print out the directions before
proceeding.
Or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
go to:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of
NIS breakes the networking components in XP to the point where internet
access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection.
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
In fact, most of experts (incl. Norton) believe that scanning incoming and
outgoing mail causes e-mail file corruption.

Avira AntiVir® PersonalEdition Classic - Free
http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)

ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
Have you seen these "extra settings for NOD32"?

On-demand AV application.
(add it to your arsenal and use it as a "second opinion" av scanner).
BitDefender10 Free Edition
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

Good luck
PA Bear

Re: Norton Internet Security 2008 and my Vista
1. Uninstall all Norton software via Add/Remove Programs.

2. Enable the Windows Firewall.

3. Run this removal tool:

4. Immediately install the 30-day free trial version of, e.g., NOD32* or
KAV7**

5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full system
scan.

Any problems now? (I didn't think so.)

[Don't forget to subscribe to your new AV app before the free-trial period
runs out!]

* www.eset.com/download/index.php
** http://usa.kaspersky.com/trials/home.../anti-virus-7/
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net