software update failure windows xp 0x80070002

jaycee

software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
When trying to use windows update (microsoft update) I am prompted to
download updated software. The program downloads ok and the files are copied.
It then tries to register? at which time I get error message 0x80070002 as
the page fails to fully load. I am currently not getting any updates in the
background either. I am using an IBM 256MB laptop T20 which has been upgraded
to XP SP2 from windows 98SE. I have tried all fixes in KB but to no solution.
I have used the support center & they have been unable to resolve problem
Engel

RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
Hello jaycee,

0x80070002 -2147024894 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The System cannot find the file
specified
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-us>

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582>

Norton can cause issues with BITS. Having it actively monitoring the
system along with AVG will cause more issues.

Repair BITS: <http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-bits.html>

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- --

"jaycee" wrote:

> When trying to use windows update (microsoft update) I am prompted to
> download updated software. The program downloads ok and the files are copied.
> It then tries to register? at which time I get error message 0x80070002 as
> the page fails to fully load. I am currently not getting any updates in the
> background either. I am using an IBM 256MB laptop T20 which has been upgraded
> to XP SP2 from windows 98SE. I have tried all fixes in KB but to no solution.
> I have used the support center & they have been unable to resolve problem

jaycee

RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
I have tried most of theese before without success. I have now downloaded the
filter and stability fixes but these have not helped with problem. I disable
3rd party firewalls before downloading. I have used Norton in the past but is
not currently active. could some component be interfering with windows update.
John

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello jaycee,
>
> 0x80070002 -2147024894 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The System cannot find the file
> specified
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-us>

> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582>
>

> Norton can cause issues with BITS. Having it actively monitoring the
> system along with AVG will cause more issues.
>
> Repair BITS: <http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-bits.html>
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
> installation
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- --
>

> "jaycee" wrote:
>
> > When trying to use windows update (microsoft update) I am prompted to
> > download updated software. The program downloads ok and the files are copied.
> > It then tries to register? at which time I get error message 0x80070002 as
> > the page fails to fully load. I am currently not getting any updates in the
> > background either. I am using an IBM 256MB laptop T20 which has been upgraded
> > to XP SP2 from windows 98SE. I have tried all fixes in KB but to no solution.
> > I have used the support center & they have been unable to resolve problem

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
Hello,
Can you send me the cbs.log file?
c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
Zip it up first, it can get rather large
Also send me the windowsupdate.log from the \windows\windowsupdate.log
Remove the "online" portion from my email address
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?amF5Y2Vl?= <jaycee@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:23:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello jaycee,
>
> 0x80070002 -2147024894 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The System cannot find the

file
> specified
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-us>

> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582>
>

> Norton can cause issues with BITS. Having it actively monitoring the
> system along with AVG will cause more issues.
>
> Repair BITS: <http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-bits.html>
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from

Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
> installation
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
> - -- --
>

> "jaycee" wrote:
>
> > When trying to use windows update (microsoft update) I am prompted to
> > download updated software. The program downloads ok and the files are

copied.
> > It then tries to register? at which time I get error message 0x80070002

as
> > the page fails to fully load. I am currently not getting any updates in

the
> > background either. I am using an IBM 256MB laptop T20 which has been

upgraded
> > to XP SP2 from windows 98SE. I have tried all fixes in KB but to no

solution.
> > I have used the support center & they have been unable to resolve

problem

jaycee

RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
unable to find cbs.log
windowsupdate.log found
unable to determine your email address
john

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Can you send me the cbs.log file?
> c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log
> Zip it up first, it can get rather large
> Also send me the windowsupdate.log from the \windows\windowsupdate.log
> Remove the "online" portion from my email address
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> From: =?Utf-8?B?amF5Y2Vl?= <jaycee@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Subject: RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
> Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 07:23:00 -0800
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
>
> I have tried most of theese before without success. I have now downloaded
> the
> filter and stability fixes but these have not helped with problem. I
> disable
> 3rd party firewalls before downloading. I have used Norton in the past but
> is
> not currently active. could some component be interfering with windows
> update.
> John
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello jaycee,
> >
> > 0x80070002 -2147024894 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The System cannot find the

> file
> > specified
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336/en-us>

> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582>
> >

> > Norton can cause issues with BITS. Having it actively monitoring the
> > system along with AVG will cause more issues.
> >
> > Repair BITS: <http://www.castlecops.com/postlite106642-bits.html>
> >
> > Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from

> Microsoft
> > Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
> > installation
> >
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144>
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> > - -- --
> >

> > "jaycee" wrote:
> >
> > > When trying to use windows update (microsoft update) I am prompted to
> > > download updated software. The program downloads ok and the files are

> copied.
> > > It then tries to register? at which time I get error message 0x80070002

> as
> > > the page fails to fully load. I am currently not getting any updates in

> the
> > > background either. I am using an IBM 256MB laptop T20 which has been

> upgraded
> > > to XP SP2 from windows 98SE. I have tried all fixes in KB but to no

> solution.
> > > I have used the support center & they have been unable to resolve

> problem

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: software update failure windows xp 0x80070002
Hello,
For this thread I think we have a resolution now.
Regsrv32.exe was missing from the windows\system32 folder.
Copying that regsrv32.exe back to the Windows\system32 resolved the issue.

From the log file this was the entry that pointed me in the correct
direction:
2007-11-21 18:52:46 852 720 Setup Registering binary:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe /s "C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll"
2007-11-21 18:52:46 852 720 Setup Completed registration operations for
section wucltui: status 0x80070002
2007-11-21 18:52:46 852 720 Setup WARNING: Setup failed while processing
registry operations, error = 0x80070002. Rolling back changes.

There can be many causes for this error so don't expect this resolution to
resolve all of the 80070002 problems, in this case the log entry for
registration operations has the failure code on it 0x80070002 which is what
pointed in the correct direction.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: =?Utf-8?B?amF5Y2Vl?= <jaycee@discussions.microsoft.com>