Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including Hot

RichardK07

Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including Hot
Can anyone please help?

I recently had to re-install Windows XP to my machine, which then worked
fine and I loaded various drivers, apps, firewall, virus-checker, all OK. I
tested Internet access, all fine. Checked some e-mails on Hotmail etc etc.

Then, I switched on Windows Update, and (as my machine os a couple of years
old) it duly added loads of updates. Aftyer that, mostly the machine worked,
I could access mkost Websites, but when trying to access Hotmail, after the
login screen, this app just freezes.

I rolled back using restore, and the system works fine, all access OK. Then
I loaded half the updates, and access to Hotmail stopped..!

I guess I can go on this way and find the single Update which stops Hotmail
access, but does anyone know what this might be? I can't believe this is
specific to Hotmail (which works fine from other PCs, so it's nothing to do
with that) - maybe something about the particular authentication used my
Microsoft apps like Hotmail?

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including Hot
"RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I recently had to re-install Windows XP to my machine, which then worked
> fine and I loaded various drivers, apps, firewall, virus-checker, all OK.

Wrong order, if you ask me. You don't need a 3rd party personal firewall
software anyway. Use the Windows Firewall included in Windows XP SP2 and
your're fine.

> Then, I switched on Windows Update, and (as my machine os a couple of years
> old) it duly added loads of updates. Aftyer that, mostly the machine worked,
> I could access mkost Websites, but when trying to access Hotmail, after the
> login screen, this app just freezes.

And without you're "security software" aramada running in the background
and using the Windows Firewall instead?

In case you've IE7 installed, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
for a general direction on where to look at.

Bye,
Freudi
RichardK07

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
Hi, thanks for the input.. In point of fact, I'd had to completely erase my
disk and re-load everything (Windows had crashed and was clearly corrupted -
couldn't even get safe mode to start, and I think my kids put all sorts of'
rubbish' on the machine, so I thought I'd have a real clkear-out and start
again!). I use McAfee as a Virus-checker and got their 'personal firewall'
with the package, so I tend to use that and switch off the Windows firewall -
not sure if this is any better, but I certainly only have one firewall
running, not two!

In fact, it doesn't make any difference with all firewalls switched off or
deleted from the system...

As a final point, the problem occurs with IE6 or IE7 - the windows recovery
CD for my machine loads IE6 as it pre-dates IE7, but the same problem occurs
with either...

Best regards,

RichardK

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > I recently had to re-install Windows XP to my machine, which then worked
> > fine and I loaded various drivers, apps, firewall, virus-checker, all OK.

> Wrong order, if you ask me. You don't need a 3rd party personal firewall
> software anyway. Use the Windows Firewall included in Windows XP SP2 and
> your're fine.
>
> > Then, I switched on Windows Update, and (as my machine os a couple of years
> > old) it duly added loads of updates. Aftyer that, mostly the machine worked,
> > I could access mkost Websites, but when trying to access Hotmail, after the
> > login screen, this app just freezes.

> And without you're "security software" aramada running in the background
> and using the Windows Firewall instead?
>
> In case you've IE7 installed, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
> for a general direction on where to look at.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
"RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I use McAfee as a Virus-checker and got their 'personal firewall'
> with the package, so I tend to use that and switch off the Windows firewall -
> not sure if this is any better,

Nope, definitly not, the opposite seems more likely to me.

> In fact, it doesn't make any difference with all firewalls switched off or
> deleted from the system...

Well reinstalling the update may. Anyway, which addition applications
are running in the background?

> As a final point, the problem occurs with IE6 or IE7 - the windows recovery
> CD for my machine loads IE6 as it pre-dates IE7, but the same problem occurs
> with either...

In case you've installed Google Toolbar and/or Google Desktop Search,
uninstall either of these and have a look for updates for them in case
you really feel you need them.

Bye,
Freudi
RichardK07

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
Maybe I'll go back to Windows Firewall then! No additional apps running when
I've made this check.. Don't use the Google toolbar...

Right now, I'm adding updates manually 5 at a time and checking the result -
I have about 80 waiting, so this is going to take me a while, but somehow I'm
sure that I'm going to find the exact update(s) which kill this app - then
maybe I can ask folks why this particular update(s) has that effect..! Will
let you know!

RK

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > I use McAfee as a Virus-checker and got their 'personal firewall'
> > with the package, so I tend to use that and switch off the Windows firewall -
> > not sure if this is any better,

> Nope, definitly not, the opposite seems more likely to me.
>
> > In fact, it doesn't make any difference with all firewalls switched off or
> > deleted from the system...

> Well reinstalling the update may. Anyway, which addition applications
> are running in the background?
>
> > As a final point, the problem occurs with IE6 or IE7 - the windows recovery
> > CD for my machine loads IE6 as it pre-dates IE7, but the same problem occurs
> > with either...

> In case you've installed Google Toolbar and/or Google Desktop Search,
> uninstall either of these and have a look for updates for them in case
> you really feel you need them.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
"RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Maybe I'll go back to Windows Firewall then! No additional apps running when
> I've made this check.. Don't use the Google toolbar...

Hm, you've doublechecked that via msconfig did you?

> Right now, I'm adding updates manually 5 at a time and checking the result -
> I have about 80 waiting, so this is going to take me a while, but somehow I'm
> sure that I'm going to find the exact update(s) which kill this app

I'm pretty sure it's the bloat of "security software" running or one
of it's AddOns placed in IE.

I'ld prefer a virus scanner which only scans for malware over these
bloated "suites" released by many of the vendors sadly - that's true
for MS's One Care in my eyes also.

Bye,
Freudi
RichardK07

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
Thought you might like to know that after a fair bit oif 'trial and error',
my machine is now working fine, and connects to all Web sites including
Hotmail - BUT only if I don't update my system with the following three
Microsoft Updates; KB917953, KB913446 and KB893066. All three of these relate
to TCP/IP in the areas of 'Denial of Service' and 'Remote Code Execution', so
I guess that somehow, after applying these updates, my PC cannot communicate
with some Web Sites because of changes in TCP/IP functionality introduced by
these updates.

This seems really wierd to me - I can't believe that my machine is so
specific, I have hardly anything loaded on it right now, because I've made a
clean re-installation - and yet I can't see any clear evidence on the Web of
others experiencing the same problems as me.. I have other PCs on my home net
working fine with all updgrades, so I figure it's specific to the machine I'm
working on, rather than, for instance, my home woreless/broadband network...

Any thoughts?

Best regards, RichardK

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Maybe I'll go back to Windows Firewall then! No additional apps running when
> > I've made this check.. Don't use the Google toolbar...

> Hm, you've doublechecked that via msconfig did you?
>
> > Right now, I'm adding updates manually 5 at a time and checking the result -
> > I have about 80 waiting, so this is going to take me a while, but somehow I'm
> > sure that I'm going to find the exact update(s) which kill this app

> I'm pretty sure it's the bloat of "security software" running or one
> of it's AddOns placed in IE.
>
> I'ld prefer a virus scanner which only scans for malware over these
> bloated "suites" released by many of the vendors sadly - that's true
> for MS's One Care in my eyes also.
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
"RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Thought you might like to know that after a fair bit oif 'trial and error',
> my machine is now working fine, and connects to all Web sites including
> Hotmail - BUT only if I don't update my system with the following three
> Microsoft Updates; KB917953, KB913446 and KB893066. All three of these relate
> to TCP/IP in the areas of 'Denial of Service' and 'Remote Code Execution', so
> I guess that somehow, after applying these updates, my PC cannot communicate
> with some Web Sites because of changes in TCP/IP functionality introduced by
> these updates.

Nope, not due to the changes included in these update but most likely due
to your security software interfering with these updates.

> This seems really wierd to me - I can't believe that my machine is so
> specific, I have hardly anything loaded on it right now, because I've made a
> clean re-installation -

Have a look into msconfig and the "System Start" section there. What
is listet there?

Bye,
Freudi
RichardK07

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
I see the following;

SOUNDMAN
Carpserv
mcagent (my mcafee)
itouch (my logitech keyboard driver)
reader_sl (adobe acrobat reader)
ctfmon
WCESCOMM (autosync for my PDA)
hpoddtoi.exe (to do with my hp 'all-in-one' printer)
officejet 6100 (also the printer)

RK

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > Thought you might like to know that after a fair bit oif 'trial and error',
> > my machine is now working fine, and connects to all Web sites including
> > Hotmail - BUT only if I don't update my system with the following three
> > Microsoft Updates; KB917953, KB913446 and KB893066. All three of these relate
> > to TCP/IP in the areas of 'Denial of Service' and 'Remote Code Execution', so
> > I guess that somehow, after applying these updates, my PC cannot communicate
> > with some Web Sites because of changes in TCP/IP functionality introduced by
> > these updates.

> Nope, not due to the changes included in these update but most likely due
> to your security software interfering with these updates.
>
> > This seems really wierd to me - I can't believe that my machine is so
> > specific, I have hardly anything loaded on it right now, because I've made a
> > clean re-installation -

> Have a look into msconfig and the "System Start" section there. What
> is listet there?
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows update (XP) stops my access to some Websites including
"RichardK07" <RichardK07@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

>> > This seems really wierd to me - I can't believe that my machine is so
>> > specific, I have hardly anything loaded on it right now, because I've made a
>> > clean re-installation -

>> Have a look into msconfig and the "System Start" section there. What
>> is listet there?

>I see the following;
>
> SOUNDMAN
> Carpserv
> mcagent (my mcafee)

Ehm, didn't you mention a "clean re-installation"? Which steps did
you take to reinstall Windows? Did you format the "old" Windows
partition before installing Windows XP once again?

Which version of which McAfee software are you using?

Bye,
Freudi