Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work

MrMojo

Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and brought them
back but can't get office to work. How do I get those working again?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
MrMojo wrote:
> I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and
> brought them back but can't get office to work. How do I get those
> working again?

Not enough information to help us help you.

You 'installed Vista and lost [your] files' <-- what does that mean? How
did you 'install Vista'? Did you do an Upgrade? If so - from what OS? If
a clean install - where did you back up your files first (in fact - before
doing anything major like that - where have you been backing up your files
to and did you do a prepatory backup before proceding with the major
upgrade?)

You 'found the old files and brought them back' <-- what does that mean?
Where were these 'old files' and *how* did you 'bring them back'?

As for Office not working - have you installed it? Depending on how you did
the installation of Vista (perhaps you tried to create a dual boot (or
accidentally created one) <- Office may not actually be installed. The
'files' being there means nothing if all the rest isn't in there to tell the
OS how to use them. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
You may need to install Office.
But without more details such as exactly what happens when you try to
open them it is difficult to get more specific.

Since this is a Windows update newsgroup, you should ask this in an
Office newsgroup:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"MrMojo" <MrMojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB325240-80E2-4E7E-9496-6CE71C0C9FEF@microsoft.com...
>I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and
>brought them
> back but can't get office to work. How do I get those working
> again?

PA Bear

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
Did you upgrade to Vista?

Is Office presently installed?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

MrMojo wrote:
> I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and brought
> them
> back but can't get office to work. How do I get those working again?

MrMojo

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
Let me clarify the very good questions.
- I installed Vista from Windows XP. Very smartly I did so without backing
anything up. The install created an old files folder where I found my
personal files and the program files where Office is. I tried opening office
files (XLS for example) and indeed you are right the OS can't recognize the
Office programs. I get an error message which reads, the operating system is
not currently configured to run this application. I can see my office
program files I just have no idea how to load them and get them functional.

MrMojo wrote:
> Let me clarify the very good questions.
> - I installed Vista from Windows XP. Very smartly I did so without
> backing anything up. The install created an old files folder where
> I found my personal files and the program files where Office is. I
> tried opening office files (XLS for example) and indeed you are
> right the OS can't recognize the Office programs. I get an error
> message which reads, the operating system is not currently
> configured to run this application. I can see my office program
> files I just have no idea how to load them and get them functional.

Install Office from your installation media.

Start some sort of backup schedule where you backup the stuff important to
you to extermnal media.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

MrMojo

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work

Thank you very much. One more question.... where is installation media? I
tried searching and didn't find where to go.
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> MrMojo wrote:
> > I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and
> > brought them back but can't get office to work. How do I get those
> > working again?

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Not enough information to help us help you.
> >
> > You 'installed Vista and lost [your] files' <-- what does that
> > mean? How did you 'install Vista'? Did you do an Upgrade? If so
> > - from what OS? If a clean install - where did you back up your
> > files first (in fact - before doing anything major like that -
> > where have you been backing up your files to and did you do a
> > prepatory backup before proceding with the major upgrade?)
> >
> > You 'found the old files and brought them back' <-- what does that
> > mean? Where were these 'old files' and *how* did you 'bring them
> > back'?
> >
> > As for Office not working - have you installed it? Depending on
> > how you did the installation of Vista (perhaps you tried to create
> > a dual boot (or accidentally created one) <- Office may not
> > actually be installed. The 'files' being there means nothing if
> > all the rest isn't in there to tell the OS how to use them. ;-)

> MrMojo wrote:
> > Let me clarify the very good questions.
> > - I installed Vista from Windows XP. Very smartly I did so without
> > backing anything up. The install created an old files folder where
> > I found my personal files and the program files where Office is. I
> > tried opening office files (XLS for example) and indeed you are
> > right the OS can't recognize the Office programs. I get an error
> > message which reads, the operating system is not currently
> > configured to run this application. I can see my office program
> > files I just have no idea how to load them and get them functional.

> Install Office from your installation media.
>
> Start some sort of backup schedule where you backup the stuff important to
> you to extermnal media.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

MrMojo

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
Yes, I upgraded to Vista. And Office is not installed, I moved the files
over from the old files that were copied from Windows XP. I just can't
figure out how to install them.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Did you upgrade to Vista?
>
> Is Office presently installed?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.org/
>

> MrMojo wrote:
> > I installed Vista and lost my files. I found the old files and brought
> > them
> > back but can't get office to work. How do I get those working again?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
You need to use your Office CD/DVD to install Office.

--

> Yes, I upgraded to Vista. And Office is not installed, I moved the
> files
> over from the old files that were copied from Windows XP. I just
> can't
> figure out how to install them.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Install - Office Doesn't Work
The installation media is the CD or DVD you need to install Microsoft
Office.

If Office came with the computer, it may be one of the CDs/DVDs that
shipped with the computer.
Check your manual and/or contact the computer manufacturer for details
on installing Office.

--

newsD8538E1-3C9A-49D2-AB06-D2414E8C9EB2@microsoft.com...