Re: Explorer.exe does not load upon startup/login

ppohio

Re: Explorer.exe does not load upon startup/login

Hi All,

Is everyone here experiencing the problem on a domain? I am having this
problem with our Lenovo T6x line of laptops when they are joined to the
domain. Myself and some other engineers have traced this issue to being
with the Scripts that go off at startup (or at least that's our best
guess at this point). I am curious if everyone else is experiencing the
problem on the domain because I've done some severe testing and found
that before the machine is profiled to the domain, the issue NEVER
happens. I did over 300 reboots of my T61 with a fresh image, with all
updates, hotfixes, and drivers, and never once had the "explorer.exe
not loading" issue happen. As soon as I joined it to the domain, the
issue happened within 5 reboots, and then every ten or so reboots after
that. The fact that it doesn't happen until it was joined to the domain
was why I never saw the issue when I was building the image and didn't
realize it was a problem.

As part of my testing, I turned off all startup items and all drivers.
However the problem still happened. I tried joining the default Lenovo
image to the domain, and the problem also happened.

Then I checked the startup procedures using Autoruns from
systinternals. Explorer.exe (the shell) loads with the rest of the
startup procedures. The only item that happens before this is execution
of .vbs scripts passed down from Group Policy on the domain. I had the
engineers take me out of my usual group on the domain and put me into a
special group that does not have any scripts that run. I re-profiled
with those group policies and BAM - the problem DISAPPEARED.

I asked to be put back into a group with scripts and once agian, within
ten reboots, the problem appeared.

Thus I feel that this has something to do with a script problem on our
domain, I wonder if everyone else's experience is similar. This issue
is a major headache for our users and I've been trying to solve it for
weeks. However I can't find any logged errors of scripts not running or
anything else so I am stumped as to where the problem is occurring. I
know that it doesn't happen when scripts aren't run, but I don't know
what's wrong with our scripts. Our scripts do the same thing as listed
in the first couple posts, they map network drives.

I don't know if this information helps or complicates anything...

--
ppohio
ppohio's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=35202

http://forums.techarena.in

antioch

"ppohio" <ppohio.305fre@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newspohio.305fre@DoNotSpam.com...

> Hi All,
>
> Is everyone here experiencing the problem on a domain? I am having this
> problem with our Lenovo T6x line of laptops when they are joined to the
> domain. Myself and some other engineers have traced this issue to being
> with the Scripts that go off at startup (or at least that's our best
> guess at this point). I am curious if everyone else is experiencing the
> problem on the domain because I've done some severe testing and found
> that before the machine is profiled to the domain, the issue NEVER
> happens. I did over 300 reboots of my T61 with a fresh image, with all
> updates, hotfixes, and drivers, and never once had the "explorer.exe
> not loading" issue happen. As soon as I joined it to the domain, the
> issue happened within 5 reboots, and then every ten or so reboots after
> that. The fact that it doesn't happen until it was joined to the domain
> was why I never saw the issue when I was building the image and didn't
> realize it was a problem.
>
> As part of my testing, I turned off all startup items and all drivers.
> However the problem still happened. I tried joining the default Lenovo
> image to the domain, and the problem also happened.
>
> Then I checked the startup procedures using Autoruns from
> systinternals. Explorer.exe (the shell) loads with the rest of the
> startup procedures. The only item that happens before this is execution
> of .vbs scripts passed down from Group Policy on the domain. I had the
> engineers take me out of my usual group on the domain and put me into a
> special group that does not have any scripts that run. I re-profiled
> with those group policies and BAM - the problem DISAPPEARED.
>
> I asked to be put back into a group with scripts and once agian, within
> ten reboots, the problem appeared.
>
> Thus I feel that this has something to do with a script problem on our
> domain, I wonder if everyone else's experience is similar. This issue
> is a major headache for our users and I've been trying to solve it for
> weeks. However I can't find any logged errors of scripts not running or
> anything else so I am stumped as to where the problem is occurring. I
> know that it doesn't happen when scripts aren't run, but I don't know
> what's wrong with our scripts. Our scripts do the same thing as listed
> in the first couple posts, they map network drives.
>
> I don't know if this information helps or complicates anything...
> ppohio

Do you think a recent security/critical update caused this problem??
Antioch

ppohio

antioch;3315058 Wrote:

> Do you think a recent security/critical update caused this problem??
> Antioch

No, I think that it is related to the hardware in the machine and the
scripts that are running. We have several machines at our offices:

Desktops:
HP/Compaq 510s
HP/Compaq 530
HP/Compaq 5100
HP/Compaq 5700

Laptops:
Toshiba Portege M400 Tablet
Lenovo T61
Lenovo T60
Lenovo X61s
Lenovo X60
IBM T40
Dell XPS M1330

I have built the images for all of those machines. The images are
nearly identical, and are identical in terms of hotfixes and updates.
However, only the Lenovo T60, T61, and Dell XPS M1330 have this issue.
All other models have been tested and NEVER have the explorer.exe does
not load issue. This leads me to believe that it is not a hotfix or
update.

"ppohio" <ppohio.305o3c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newspohio.305o3c@DoNotSpam.com...

> antioch;3315058 Wrote:
>>
>> Do you think a recent security/critical update caused this problem??
>> Antioch

> No, I think that it is related to the hardware in the machine and the

Clipped

> This leads me to believe that it is not a hotfix or update.

> ppohio

Then I would suggest a more appropriate group - perhaps the hardware group -
subscribe there.

I dont really understand your setup - perhaps a server site might help -
look through the newsgroup list - you will know what sounds a better group.

Rgds
Antioch

Mackus

Re: Explorer.exe does not load upon startup/login
I have the exact same problem. I have been working on it for weeks and have
not found a solution. The computer works fine until it is joined to the
domain. I have at least 50 other laptops (gateway) that are joined to the
domain and never have this problem. It is only the the IBM t60's and t61's.

I called IBM and they were not able to help me. They just said we have no
reported issues that this is a problem. I told them there are other people
who have this problem, and thay said I was the first person to call in and
describe a problem like this. I cannot figure out why the IBM t60 and t61
have this behavior. The hardest part of this problem is that it happens at
random.

Let me know if you have found any solutions... Thanks

npage1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T60 not running explorer.exe on start-up
I was having the same problem with on of my t60's and even after two rebuilds was seeing the same issue, we also do run a login script and I was thinking it might be the issue, just for the heck of it I installed XPsp3 and it worked!

I was able to get 50 start-ups with absolutly no issues at all and in fact it looked like it was running faster!

If possible, please try installing XPsp3 and let me know if that fixes your problem. Thanks

npage1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the same issue, installed XPsp3 and fixed it